Star Wars: Episode 7 - The Force Awakens

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Star Wars: Episode 7 - The Force Awakens

Post by ShogunRua »

Suture Self wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:Anyone who pontificates or reviews a book/movie without having read/seen some portion of it, not even the first 15 minutes prior to leaving the theater in disgust, can be safely dismissed.

Luckily, I've done neither. I demonstrably haven't written a review of Star Wars: The Force Awakens nor have I pontificated on its qualities as a film.

I did, however, link to two reviews that point out a strong social justice element in the picture as food for thought for those that have seen it. And which are completely in tune with public statements by the LucasFilm CEO that anyone can look up. Well, it wasn't much "food for thought" in Suture's case, since he replied with "TLDR" to the John C Wright piece. (Who is actually quite positive about the movie in many regards)

Suture Self
2715 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

I don't know, ShogunRua. What you're doing seems dangerously close to:

ShogunRua wrote:You're not understanding the idea of a work. You are, at the very best, understanding the idea of someone else's interpretation of that work.

Your response to the LucasFilm CEO can get a pass, but when you're making a 7 point list about incidents that happened in the movie despite not having seen the movie at all, I don't think you have a leg to stand on - at least, if you want to be consistent with your own movie-watching philosophy.

You're talking an awful lot about a movie you haven't seen yet and this seems incongruent with previous statements you've made in the past. Your social justice claim might be right, and indicators might lead you to believe you're right, but you have no way of confirming this yet because you haven't actually seen the movie, y'know? I think I'm making a fair observation.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Stewball wrote:Think Bill Clinton. He's at least as corrupt as she is , but he's charming in the process making the poison easier to swallow. But she's that AND she has the charisma of a scorpion which her followers ignore with such ease one can only marvel at depth and breadth their useful stupidity--real life zombies.

He's lost whatever charm he once had and now people are realizing just how truly terrible of a person he is.

I mean look at this: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bill-cli ... d=36082154 he about loses his senile rapey mind trying to dodge that question :lol:

Suture Self wrote:
Your response to the LucasFilm CEO can get a pass, but when you're making a 7 point list about incidents that happened in the movie despite not having seen the movie at all, I don't think you have a leg to stand on - at least, if you want to be consistent with your own movie-watching philosophy.

That 7 point list was just a copy/paste from one of the links he posted tho. sauce: http://www.scifiwright.com/2015/12/the- ... oze-button

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Suture Self wrote:I don't know, ShogunRua. What you're doing seems dangerously close to:

ShogunRua wrote:You're not understanding the idea of a work. You are, at the very best, understanding the idea of someone else's interpretation of that work.

It's not my 7 point list. It's copy and pasted from John C Wright's review (who has obviously seen the movie), and I stated as much. Reading it again, it's impossible to miss the link followed by the "where that list is taken from".

Suture Self wrote: I think I'm making a fair observation.

No, you're not.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

Suture Self wrote:I don't know, ShogunRua. What you're doing seems dangerously close to:

This was a pretty fair observation.

Suture Self
2715 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

ShogunRua wrote:

It's not my 7 point list. It's copy and pasted from John C Wright's review (who has obviously seen the movie), and I stated as much. Reading it again, it's impossible to miss the link followed by the "where that list is taken from".

Suture Self wrote: I think I'm making a fair observation.

No, you're not.

I must have missed the last sentence/link, my bad. But still, what's with the paragraph you wrote before you copy and pasted the list? Look, in this thread, and in others, you've been arguing in defense of someone's perspective on a movie that you haven't even seen yet. You should probably just go see the movie - like everyone else who is complaining about it has, myself included - rather than just parroting what other people have said about it.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Pickpocket wrote:He's lost whatever charm he once had and now people are realizing just how truly terrible of a person he is.

I mean look at this: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bill-cli ... d=36082154 he about loses his senile rapey mind trying to dodge that question :lol:

Yeah, he's getting senile, but as it says in that report, his popularity is still at 60%, in large part because so many don't even know what happened back then, 25 years ago. Blue dress, what blue dress? But Trump knows Bill's victims are his Achilles Heel, and he's not afraid to use them if Hillary goes there. It was Hillary's job after all, to squelch all the bimbo eruptions.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Suture Self wrote:
I must have missed the last sentence/link, my bad.

Yeah, you seem to do that a lot.

Suture Self wrote:But still, what's with the paragraph you wrote before you copy and pasted the list? Look, in this thread, and in others, you've been arguing in defense of someone's perspective on a movie that you haven't even seen yet. You should probably just go see the movie - like everyone else who is complaining about it has, myself included - rather than just parroting what other people have said about it.

In other words, you only read reviews after watching the movie, and never before? Or alternatively, you've never read a review before watching a movie and felt it was interesting and worth sharing, especially if it makes broader points?

QuinlanLJ
820 Ratings

Post by QuinlanLJ »

I loved the new episode and count it as the third best in the saga. Now, I'm not one of those people that shits on the prequels, so I'm not that kind of guy that was desperate for a good Star Wars film. Mainly because I take Star Wars for the story it has. And the prequels, despite not really being the best of films, have interesting stories. Episode 7 is no exception and despite it borrowing certain elements from all of the original films, it's a pretty damn good film, not just a great Star Wars film, it's also a good film. I will go as far as to say it's better than Return of the Jedi. It's true that ROTJ has certain iconic and really memorable scenes, but as a whole, it isn't really the best. TFA on the other hand is a lot better as a whole.
The story is far more interesting, without any "kid-friendly" teddybears and the pace they go through it is almost perfect. The acting is a lot better, with a slight exception of Carrie Fisher who isn't all that great, but her acting is passable because hey, it's princess (General) Leia! The new characters are incredibly fascinating, the new villains aren't really the greatest yet, they still have a lot of room for development, but I do think it's worth mentioning that Kylo Ren is better than Darth Vader was in A New Hope ... now Darth Vader was more developed in later films, I know that, but Kylo Ren has two more movies to be developed even more and his character is already interesting on many different levels.
There's one more thing I must say about the film. The mixture between practical effects and CGI is great, almost as great as it was in Mad Max: Fury Road. There are some issues, but definitely not on the level of the prequels that were mostly shot in front of a green screen. J.J. Abrams did an amazing job, it just goes to show what can you do with a fan of the saga at the helm.

In short:
The Force Awakens is one of the best Star Wars films in the saga. It borrows certain elements from the original trilogy, which they carry out smoothly enough, but some might still have a problem with it. The acting is great for the most part, the newer characters are fascinating, even though new villains still need to be developed a bit more. The effects are by far the best in the whole saga, which is to be excpected. The mixture between practical effects and CGI is great and help the film a lot. J.J. Abrams did an amazing job bringing people back home to the Star Wars universe, it's a film both the originals and prequels fans can join in together to love.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

Stewball wrote:
Pickpocket wrote:He's lost whatever charm he once had and now people are realizing just how truly terrible of a person he is.

Yeah, he's getting senile, but as it says in that report, his popularity is still at 60%, in large part because so many don't even know what happened back then, 25 years ago. Blue dress, what blue dress? But Trump knows Bill's victims are his Achilles Heel, and he's not afraid to use them if Hillary goes there. It was Hillary's job after all, to squelch all the bimbo eruptions.

http://www.arkancide.com/