doctor 7's overlooked films - Open Range

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
doctor7
1979 Ratings
Your TCI: na

doctor 7's overlooked films - Open Range

Post by doctor7 »

Hello Criticker Forums,

On another film forum I post on I've been making threads about movies I feel have been over looked either critically or at the box office (or both!). I've made four so far with an average of 1 a week or so. I thought some of you here might appreciate them. I thought I'd post all four I've made so far and then slowly follow them up in the coming weeks.

First off, why Open Range?
According to meta critic it received an average score of 67, certainly nothing stellar. Since Costner's Waterworld and The Postman he's been generally shit on for any type of film he's done forcing him to generally appear in relatively safe rom-coms (with emphasis on romance) or generic action flicks. I think that Open Range may be the last western that Costner ever acts in, let alone directs due to it's lukewarm reception. Open Range should also be easily accessible from Netflix and any movie store, plus it's not a new release so it should be cheap!

Kevin Costner fucking sucks.
You suck. Kevin Costner's awesome and was in Field of Dreams the one movie a guy can cry at and it actually makes him more of a man (and I don't even like baseball). I'll admit my experience with Costner is somewhat limited but I have enjoyed most of what I've seen. To be blunt Dances with Wolves is one of the best epics I have witnessed and I have seen a lot of epics. DWW has a superb story with tons of depth and was recently remade into James Cameron's Avatar ([spoiler]heyyyoooo[/spoiler]). Costner's performance in JFK relentless hunting for the truth was excellent and though the validity of a lot of the film's narrative has come into question I still find it an great film. I thought Wyatt Earp was more enjoyable than Tombstone and that his accent didn't fucking matter in Robinhood because Russian guys speak English too each other all the time in movies and people let that shit go. But anyway.

What's Open Range about?
(Lifted from Wikipedia's sperglords) "The background of the movie concerns the "range wars" that occurred in the American West in the late 1800s. The "wars" pitted those that believed in the "Law of the Open Range" - free access to water and grass for everyone, against the "barbed wire" men – land barons, who used the new fencing to define their empire and block the free-range cattlemen from moving their herds."

A Quick Summary
The movie stars Robert Duvall, as "Boss", and Kevin Costner, as Charley Waite, two "free-rangers" moving along the American west. They stop in land that "belongs" to Denton Baxter (Michael Gambon), an Irish land baron and a real prick. Their caravan is attacked, one of their members is killed (technically two as Baxter's heartless bastards shoot their dog too) and another is wounded. Boss and Charlie intend to defend their right to free graze and avenge their dead compatriots. There is also a romance subplot between Costner and Sue Barlow (Annette Bening) but it's not lame so don't worry.

I've heard it's slow and boring.
Open Range is slow moving. At it's core it is a drama and not an action film but it is not boring. Tension is present throughout the film from the caravan's first encounter with Baxter and his men. There aren't lots of shoot outs. However I can promise a climatic gun fight that is, in my opinion, one of the best in film (plus it opens with the best form of revenge possible). In fact I find the best way to describe as Michael Mann's Heat set in the Old West. It is that good.

How do you rank it doctor 7?
Currently it's in my top tier on Criticker.com with a score of 90/100. So no, I'm not shitting you when I say I think this is a great film.
Review
It gets a lot of hate apparently but I find the hate to be most undeserved. It's not quite as good as Dances with Wolves but it's still superb in it's own right. Robert Duvall, Annette Bening and Kevin Costner all give great performances. It starts off appropriately slow but the gunfight at the end is certainly one of the best in westerm movies I've ever seen. "You the one that killed our friend?" "That's right, shot the boy too and I enjoyed it." BLAM! Best way to start a gunfight.

In short, see this film. It was made in a relatively modest budget of $20 million so you don't have the beautiful sweeping shots like in Dances with Wolves but it's still a superb western.

Anyhow, let me know what you think if you give it a rewatch or if you already know how good it is.

tef
1361 Ratings

Re: doctor 7's overlooked films - Open Range

Post by tef »

Thanks for making these threads. I haven't seen Open Range but will. I think Kevin Costner is bashed for no good reason. He's done good work and bad work. I think you should see the Upside of Anger. Costner is pretty good in that.

prowler
941 Ratings

Post by prowler »

already posted in your SA thread, I'll just say again that this is a very good movie, well worth watching. i might come back to it in a few years time

Melvin Smif
1132 Ratings

Post by Melvin Smif »

Haven't seen this one, but Kevin Costner is one of those guilty pleasures of mine (along with Nicholas Cage though after movies like Knowing and Ghost Rider that has waned some).

miss jesus
2427 Ratings

Post by miss jesus »

Saw this in the theater when it came out because an old friend of my the guy I was with wanted to see it. My thoughts going in were "Western? Really?" and "Costner?!?....gulp..." which led to "jeez, do they hand out Ambien too?"

But I agree with doctor7. Open Range is excellent. It has some terrific fights, a good story, and beautiful scenery. Robert Duvall is badass. Tombstone used to be my go-to western-worth-seeing, too, but I've changed my tune on that one over the years. Open Range is still very good though.

WoozyB
1601 Ratings

Post by WoozyB »

Open Range was plodding and boring as shit until the ending, homie.

Beautifully shot, tho. :alberta:

Moviemgl
808 Ratings

Post by Moviemgl »

Oh give me a break will ya. Open Range overlooked? I've looked enough Open Range and I'll tell ya there's nothing underrated or overlooked about this flick. It's basically a boring piece of movie.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Loved this flick, totally underrated. Robert Duvall makes me weak in the knees. ;)

Kopenhaver
1166 Ratings

Post by Kopenhaver »

I watched this for the first time the other week. I enjoyed it and it really is one beautiful movie.