"The Last Samurai" as the best movie of the past decade?

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
freqflyer
856 Ratings
Your TCI: na

"The Last Samurai" as the best movie of the past decade?

Post by freqflyer »

I wanted to know:

Who of you think that 'The Last Samurai' is (one of) the best movie(s) of the decade. Personally, I don't think it even fits into the top 10, but I'm super curious concerning what other people thought of this movie. I know that I myself have a number of probs with the movie, yet I can also easily understand why it was such a commercial and critical success.

Whaddya you think? Do you think this Tom Cruise vehicle is simply a superficial play for more fame, or do you think it has some aesthetic merits aside from its super-cynical depiction of the Japanese?

tef
1361 Ratings

Re: "The Last Samurai" as the best movie of the past decade?

Post by tef »

I haven't seen it in a while, but I really liked the bit where Katsumoto is dying and realizes that he was wrong to look for a perfect blossom, as they are all perfect.

I'm sure it got countless things wrong, but as a person who knows very little about Japanese culture it was an enjoyable enough movie for me. I'm a sucker for redemption stories though.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

What's the basis for your leading question?

I like the film a lot, but I've never heard of it receiving that kind of accolade. Far from it.

Why I like it

Bushido philosophy confronts modernist efficiency. It can redeem a soul still willing, but it can't save itself. It was a good death.

It's a nutritious slice of life, with gorgeous costumes, sets, photography, score.

The script is ridiculously over-the-top. I got over it. Watanabe's body language/facial expressions have more to say.
You have to look past the pandering to the tears of teenage girls.

The action scenes serve as a welcome respite from the intensity of the tea ceremony.

its super-cynical depiction of the Japanese?

:?:

doctor7
1979 Ratings

Post by doctor7 »

Beautifully shot with great action sequences and it's a real wonder to see all the incredible sets and costumes.

However that's really covering up a pretty contrived and cliche melodrama.

astrakhan
3762 Ratings

Post by astrakhan »

The only thing I remember about that movie is some general using a minigun to decimate a Japanese army. A nonsensical scene which reminded me of Wild Wild West, one of the worst films ever made.

Maybe if it didn't have Tom Cruise and miniguns, I could have appreciated it for its tea-drinking, zen-philosophising, blossom-admiring aspects.

doctor7
1979 Ratings

Post by doctor7 »

astrakhan wrote:The only thing I remember about that movie is some general using a minigun to decimate a Japanese army. A nonsensical scene which reminded me of Wild Wild West, one of the worst films ever made.

Maybe if it didn't have Tom Cruise and miniguns, I could have appreciated it for its tea-drinking, zen-philosophising, blossom-admiring aspects.

Gatling guns have seen military use since the American civil war. One in the Last Samurai isn't absurdly out of place.

Spunkie
5485 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

I don't remember a tad about it, except I hated it. It's obviously like a giant sugar coated orientalism which I grow to hate each day. Any bit of enjoyment I could have derived from this, I had long gathered through numerous samurai movies. Seems I am not objective about it, still can't see how it can even be mentioned as one of the best movies of this decade.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Spunkie wrote:I don't remember a tad about it, except I hated it. It's obviously like a giant sugar coated orientalism which I grow to hate each day. Any bit of enjoyment I could have derived from this, I had long gathered through numerous samurai movies. Seems I am not objective about it, still can't see how it can even be mentioned as one of the best movies of this decade.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts about the movie. Well, that and the fifth part of this article;

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... tty_movies

I also gave "The Last Samurai" a 20/100 for being long-winded, absurd bullshit (with its insipid theme and hollow, generic speeches), being filled with major plot holes and featuring the most odious main protagonist imaginable. I wouldn't call it the best of the decade, but among major releases, it's definitely one of the worst.

dst7175
6572 Ratings

Post by dst7175 »

it was a really good movie but not top ten

Zozan
1569 Ratings

Post by Zozan »

Watched a few times. Read the script once. I have the soundtrack too. Sits in my T10.
Wouldn't say best movie of the decade but my type of movie definitely.
I have a grudge against Tom Cruise but somehow he was not as disturbing in this one as he is in majority of his movies.