Anyone else avoid actor interviews like the plague?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
nauru
1667 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Anyone else avoid actor interviews like the plague?

Post by nauru »

When I watch a film, I am engrossed. I am immersed. I willfully suspend disbelief of what I see on the screen. The experience is made possible by writers, artists, lighting and sound technicians, editors, directors, stunt coordinators, special effects experts, costume designers, makeup artists, and perhaps hundreds of other people who contribute to the film. Perhaps most crucial though, in the case of dramatic film, are the actors. I enjoy film because when I am watching I am able to believe that the people on the screen are experiencing the events, environments and interchanges surrounding them. Before and after I know it is all pretend, but during a good film I feel as though I am right there with those characters and sharing a piece of their experiences.

For this reason I find it impossible to watch or read actor interviews without ruining the immersive quality of film. For me to see an actor talking about his or her work, or personal life, or just trade mindless banter with the host of some late-night talk show completely destroys the realism of the characters they embody in their work. It is like being 5 years old at Disney World and seeing Mickey Mouse with his costume half off, having a smoke and slapping some girl's ass. What has been seen cannot be unseen. The same holds true for actors on television shows of a sufficiently high quality to be considered alongside the best performances in film (Breaking Bad, for example).

Anyone else share my view? For those who are wondering how I completely avoid any celebrity interviews ever, the answer is that I don't have a TV and I only watch the series and films that I actively select, without commercials and on my own schedule. Also, I never ever watch the "extra features" where they interview the cast and destroy the breathtaking illusions (visual, emotional or otherwise) that have been so painstakingly crafted and masterfully displayed on the screen. And of course I have adblock on my internet browser so I never see banners with celebrity gossip on them.

On further thought, I very occasionally don't mind seeing a comedian on, say, the Daily Show. But people who do science fiction, history, drama, action of higher quality than Jason Statham's annual dross, and other genres that bring a high level of intensity to the screen, I simply cannot watch. Director interviews would, in theory, be fine, although I can't recall ever watching one and imagine I'd find the questions/content dull.

iconogassed
7286 Ratings

Re: Anyone else avoid actor interviews like the plague?

Post by iconogassed »

give my regards to peter pan bro

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

nauru wrote:Perhaps most crucial though, in the case of dramatic film, are the actors.

I would argue that the director is the most crucial element in 90 plus percent of films. Even when one actor gives off an astounding performance, it's often made possible thanks to the director.

For this reason I find it impossible to watch or read actor interviews without ruining the immersive quality of film. For me to see an actor talking about his or her work, or personal life, or just trade mindless banter with the host of some late-night talk show completely destroys the realism of the characters they embody in their work. It is like being 5 years old at Disney World and seeing Mickey Mouse with his costume half off, having a smoke and slapping some girl's ass. What has been seen cannot be unseen. The same holds true for actors on television shows of a sufficiently high quality to be considered alongside the best performances in film (Breaking Bad, for example).

Anyone else share my view?

I avoid most actor interviews because they're stupid and boring, not because I can't separate the film I'm watching from reality.

I love "Mad Men" every bit as much even though I know that the guy playing Don Draper is a cheerful, laid-back, funny dude in real life.

Actually, thinking further about this, interviewing actors out of characters did bother me....when I was 12 years old. No offense, but out of curiosity, how old are you, nauru?

naru wrote:But people who do science fiction, history, drama, action of higher quality than Jason Statham's annual dross, and other genres that bring a high level of intensity to the screen, I simply cannot watch.

Why do you have to insult a legitimately great action star like Jason Statham like that?

naru wrote:Director interviews would, in theory, be fine, although I can't recall ever watching one and imagine I'd find the questions/content dull.

I don't see why you would; director interviews, by contrast, tend to be quite interesting, and I've enjoyed many of them, whether it's Sidney Lumet, John Cassavetes, or even someone I don't think as highly of, like Quentin Tarantino.

All of them really love film and are deeply knowledgeable about it, unlike most actors.

Ununnilium
1263 Ratings

Post by Ununnilium »

Interesting. I'm able to appreciate both sides, myself, but perhaps that's because I come from the creative side?

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

I mostly avoid actor interviews because most actors are simpering idiots without a writer to fill their mouths with dialog.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

TheDenizen wrote:I mostly avoid actor interviews because most actors are simpering idiots without a writer to fill their mouths with dialog.

On the flip side, when I happen to catch an interview with an actor who is neither a bumbling moron (Matt Damon) nor a vacant retard (Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, many others...), I'm genuinely impressed.

And speaking of Jason Statham, he qualifies onto that short list, too. This, despite many of his interviewers having apparently been lobotomized.

Dorkovsky
42461 Ratings

Post by Dorkovsky »

TheDenizen wrote:I mostly avoid actor interviews because most actors are simpering idiots without a writer to fill their mouths with dialog.

Basically this. Anecdotes about directors and writers are the only things of interest.

Spanks
1880 Ratings

Post by Spanks »

What's with all the hating on actors? Sure some of them are blubbering idiots who make about as much sense as Obama does without a teleprompter, but some can be quite entertaining and insightful.

Take this interview with Daniel Day-Lewis. He is actually one of the most (if not the most) articulate, inspiration and intellectual artist out there today. He provides great insight into the relationship between film, acting and the creative mindset one has to set yourself into for any medium of creativity. The entire conversation is a great watch if you have about an hour to spare, but Part Four (~10 minutes) of this interview was my personal favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKfGU3vK ... Q&index=20

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

sixx wrote:Take this interview with Daniel Day-Lewis. He is actually one of the most (if not the most) articulate, inspiration and intellectual artist out there today. He provides great insight into the relationship between film, acting and the creative mindset one has to set yourself into for any medium of creativity. The entire conversation is a great watch if you have about an hour to spare, but Part Four (~10 minutes) of this interview was my personal favorite.

Not bad. I wasn't as impressed with that video as you are (Daniel Day-Lewis comes across as a man of good speaking ability and average intelligence who is really passionate and knows a lot about film/acting), but Daniel Day-Lewis is no idiot, and I would agree there is something inside of him.

That being said, I don't think Daniel Day-Lewis is typical of most actors....in any regard.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

Obviously not ALL actors are morons....but the ones that aren't seem to be somewhat rarer.