new here and seeking recommendations

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
The_Abbott
16 Ratings
Your TCI: na

new here and seeking recommendations

Post by The_Abbott »

Movies were never a huge part of my life and at this point i'm starting to feel like im missing out on a lot (you could name 10 movies and i probably havent seen 9 of them). Recently i've started making an effort to watch more movies, but there arent many that catch my interest. Space, crime, philosophy, and comedy are some of my favorite subjects. If anyone could recommend some movies to a new user it would be greatly appreciated!

some movies i've watched for the first time & enjoyed recently: 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Requiem for a Dream, Frank, Birdman, Paid in Full, and Fahrenheit 451.

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Re: new here and seeking recommendations

Post by CMonster »

Crime: Dog Day Afternoon (1975) by Sidney Lumet and starring Al Pacino at his finest, tied for being my favorite movie of all time

Crime/Comedy: Black Dynamite (2009) a parody of blacksplotation, killer soundtrack, very funny if you enjoy the absurdity and parody elements and Hot Fuzz (2007) probably the best film to come from the Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost group. Has a couple mystery and horror elements as well with a bit of gore, but ultimately a hilarious homage to buddy cop movies.

Comedy: tough to get to specific because people can get particular about the types of comedy they find acceptable. So I'll offer some variety. The Big Lebowski and Burn After Reading by the Coen Brothers. Young Frankenstien and Robin Hood: Men in Tights by Mel Brooks, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang by Shane Black.

Space: Serenity (2005) not the best space movie ever made, but it's just so lovable. Basically a sequel to the tv show Firefly that was cancelled. Its a space adventure with our heroes on the run to protect a crazy girl from the evil space government. On that note, I would also recommend Firefly.

Philosophy: Network (1976) also by Sidney Lumet but the real star is the screenplay by Paddy Chayefskys with towering monologues and a commentary on the media that has only ripened with age.

That's 10. Enjoy...and if you don't, eh, I tried.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

if you like space and sci-fi, definitely check out Moon.
https://www.criticker.com/film/Moon_2009/

saudade
2226 Ratings

Post by saudade »

Seems the movies you like best are atmospheric and visually striking. With that in mind, I would suggest seeing:

Alien
Pulp Fiction
Pan's Labyrinth
Do the Right Thing
Trainspotting
Kill Bill

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

You have 2 Kubrick's already so you should definitely add Dr. Strangelove and Full Metal Jacket and maaaaybeee, Eyes Wide Shut

Comedy: O Brother Where Art Thou

Crime: Bullitt (best car chase ever), and End of Watch

Philosophy: Really not much there but Inherit the Wind is an excellent and important historical drama.

Welcome to the board.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

CMonster wrote:
Philosophy: Network (1976) also by Sidney Lumet but the real star is the screenplay by Paddy Chayefskys with towering monologues and a commentary on the media that has only ripened with age.

I'd like to double-down on the recommendation for Network. It's a rare example of a film that's only become more socially relevant with age.

Other recommendations: For something similar to 2001 in style and quality, or are looking for something very philosophical I'd recommend the works of Andrei Tarkovsky like either Solaris or Stalker.

And while we could devote an entire thread to debating which Kubrick films are masterpieces, I'd actually recommend Dr. Strangelove, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon & Spartacus over either Full Metal Jacket or Eyes Wise Shut, but maybe that's just me.

Though it's not a film, if you're at all interested in crime or politics I would highly recommend watching all 5 seasons of The Wire. I could probably spend atleast 1000 words writing about why it's so great, but the depth and breadth of both it's writing and sociological introspection is miles beyond any other piece of fiction I've ever encountered.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

CosmicMonkey wrote:And while we could devote an entire thread to debating which Kubrick films are masterpieces, I'd actually recommend Dr. Strangelove, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon & Spartacus over either Full Metal Jacket or Eyes Wise Shut, but maybe that's just me.

Paths of Glory is nothing more than early Kubrick, pacifistic screed. And Eyes Wide Shut is one of the most misunderstood (or misrepresented) films in history.

karamazov.
1727 Ratings

Post by karamazov. »

Greets.
I don't think there would be much utility in attempting to recommend you specific movies based on the few ratings you have so far, etc. Rather, I'd just encourage you to keep adding as many ratings as you can, because the psi/tci [both of which have to do with how your automated recs. are generated] system works wonderfully only once you have several hundred or so films, and try some of those recs. first. Another great way to familiarize yourself with all sorts of movies is simply to look at anyone's profile who catches your interest slash whose vibe you dig. Enjoy!