Casque-dor

Ratings and reviews:

Casque d'or

1952
Romance, Drama
This film is in desperate need of a more charismatic leading lady. Simone Signoret wears the most unappealing smirk throughout the first half, a smug and amused little smile. She comes off like a cold fish, and that's really the problem with this whole movie. It lacks the passion it so anxiously attempts to convey. Nonetheless, it must be noted for its luminous photography and some astonishing shots.
Not bad. Love vs gangsters, during the Belle Epoque. It's a bit corny, but still a good watch, very nicely directed by Jacques Becker, very nicely shot, and starring Simone Signoret and Serge Reggiani who have a very likable quality despite not making for the most handsome cinematic couple, nor having the primmest characters to play. Claude Dauphin and Raymond Bussières are also captivating in supporting roles.
My ★★★★ review of Casque d'Or on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/394tJH
Such an evocative film, Becker using the small details of fashion, decor, and social hierarchies to create a natural world instead of an ostentatious period piece. I'm continually amazed by his subtle touch.
It's such a pretty and charming film that it's hard not to enjoy it on some level. Besides the photography Signoret is oddly captivating and the rest of the cast is interesting as well, though the film never reveals as much as it hints at. The story's nothing to write home about but it's fun, tense at the appropriate moments, and the ending is quite fitting. Despite all this it fails to really make the impact it seems to strive for, leaving a beautiful and very good, but not quite great, film.
The characters and the actors - particularly Serge Reggiani as Manda - make it supremely captivating. The film is beatifully shot, and the triangular drama at the center of the story is as pure and simple as in, say, 'Le Jour se lève', another favorite of mine. So Jacques Becker is in my cool book. I think he's one of the greatest directors of all time. 'Le Trou' is his masterpiece, but I also absolutely love 'Grisbi' and this movie.
# 314
#382
Full of elegance and with one of the most striking faces of French cinema, Simone Signoret, Casque d'or [Golden Marie] (1952) ends up, with the exception of some brief moments, a dull and pedestrian costume drama, with often hammy expressions, where only some mild gangster elements helps pepper it up.
I enjoyed it quite a lot: it looks reeeeaaaaally pretty and tells a good yarn. The only reason I'm not more sold on it is that I could never really care for the main couple: their relationship seemed to be based purely on sexual attraction meaning that all the harm caused due to the supposed "love" between them never really carried as much dramatic weight as I'd like.
super luscious looking cinematographically. biggest flaw is that it still suggests who to hate and who to root for a bit much, despite all characters being rather nasty. nor is it particularly impactful. still, it's greatly enjoyable and definitely better than i was expecting.
Star Rating: ★★★★
For such a "pretty" film, I'm disappointed to just hand it an average rating, as the storyline barely seems sufficient to keep it afloat. Signoret's regal bearing doesn't really come to much (c'est la vie?); was she really about to jump into a better long-term relationship? Still, it's a good cast, and that scene where Manda wakes up to see the sunlit face of Marie is as close to classic as you can get.
You really don't expect to see a period piece from a master of modern, tough guy crime flicks like Jacques Becker, but Becker imbues this with a completely modern feel without making it the least bit anachronistic.
There's nothing really special about this film other than a magnetic performance by Simone Signoret, but it's a pretty much perfect example of the genre without any noticeable flaws. The plot is more than serviceable, the camera and other filmmaking aspects are more than competent, and it's never boring for a second. There's not a thing wrong with it, but I don't think anything quite elevates it over a very, very good film into the realm of the great. Nothing wrong with very, very good, though.