Amazon VideoApple TVAMC+ Amazon ChannelGoogle Play MoviesTubi TVShudder
Plex Player
Shudder Apple TV Channel

2010
Suspense/Thriller, Crime
Three hooded Eastern-European criminals burst into a home in a Madrid gated community, holding the family hostage in its own home, and forcing the father to empty his credit cards. But the family fights back - brutally. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVAMC+ Amazon ChannelGoogle Play MoviesTubi TVShudder
Shudder Amazon Channel
The Roku Channel
Plex
Plex Player
Shudder Apple TV Channel

True horror lies in realism. If you've ever found yourself thinking "this shit could actually happen to me" then the film has done its job. This is the entire premise for "Secuestrados". It's essentially every other home invasion flick you've ever seen, but grittier, bleaker, more violent and with impeccable cinematography. There must have been, at the very least, ten shots. When you consider the length of the film and the action happening on screen, that's mighty impressive. Kudos to all.
Intense. The astonishing cinematography ought to be Oscar-nominated. I found myself pulled out of the film, wondering how they achieved such lengthy, complex shots. It must've been extremely demanding for the good cast - and challenging for the crew, too. Trying to forget this mastery for a minute, the plot points we have seen in any other home invasion thriller. The style, however, makes them work. Be warned, though: this has probably the most bleak scene (I won't spoil which) I have ever seen.
Whaaaa whaaaa whaaaa whaaaa whaaa nwhaaa whaaaa whaaaa gnwaaaah whaaaah whaaaah...Takes the generic 'kidnap family in their own home' theme...whaaaaa whaaaa nwhaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaa...couples it with the even more generic 'cold leader, crazy muscle, and sympathetic young guy' kidnapper team makeup, and...whaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaa gwaaaah whaaaa waaaaaah...then adds a whiny girl who screams literally half of the...whaaaa whaaaaaagh ngwhaaaa whaaaang whaaaaa...movie. Whaaaaaa.
Holy hell, this was one intense and dark movie. The story is pretty basic and what you'd expect from a film of this type, but the presentation lifts it to an amazingly realistic and nailbitingly brutal level. If you enjoy long takes, this is definitely a great example of how to use them to increase unease. The ending is just... just... damn! Holy shit. I think I need a drink to calm down a bit.
The everlasting camera drives were astonishing! The horror parts were also well done. Only what I did not like was too much of screaming face of Manuela Vellés. And the story was a bit short, no background to lay on. But thanks to RapeyVessey for a tip.

Submitted bykasperlKasperL on 13 Apr 2011