We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Charly

1968
Drama, Sci-fi
Charly is a retarded adult male struggling to survive in the world. His frequent attempts at learning, reading, and writing prove worthless. (imdb)
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Charly

Robertson won an Oscar for his fine work here as the title character. Often needlessly arty but is well-served by the performances of Robertson and Bloom.
A decent adaptation of the heart-breaking short story 'Flowers for Algernon' fails to truly bring on the hurt, when the formerly retarded Charly, realises that the effect of his I.Q. treatments, that has made him a genius, are beginning to diminish. It is, however, a story so strong that it's always going to leave you with something to think about - or perhaps not - which would be a point in itself.
Servicable drama can't make up its mind which story threads are the most interesting - is it a sci-fi tale about the dangers of playing god? A forbidden romance? A study of whether academic intelligence matters? By never really following up on any of these intriguing ideas, the film never really becomes satisfying, despite fine work from Robertson and Bloom. At times undermined and dated by over-utilising "trendy" film-making techniques of the time (eg. split screen and psychedelic imagery).
I was forced to watch this in 2nd grade. Why they decided to show a movie with such a horrifying premise and ending to a bunch of 7-year-olds I'll never understand.
The emotional resonance gets drowned out by some poor direction chioces. Good performances, but the TV movie from a couple years back is a better adaptation.

14 Collections including 13 Collaborative and 1 Public