Pitfall
Pitfall-1962

Pitfall

1962
Drama, Crime
A man wanders into a seemingly deserted town with his young son in search of work. But after a bit of bad luck, he joins the town's population of lost souls. (imdb)
Criterion Channel

An extremely enigmatic and haunting film. I can't rave enough about Takemitsu's experimental score. At times it seems like he's hitting random notes that resemble something more akin to sound effects than music, and it's the driving force of the movie's atmosphere. The plot is just as bizarre. None of the characters truly know what's going on, and though we're shown the events in detail, neither does the viewer. Some is unresolved, but I'm not sure clarity and resolution were Teshigahara's goals
I got lost once on the outskirts of Tokyo in a rural district. In that macabre stillness, I was at once completely alone, and feeling like something was watching me; in a limbo state between modernity and an unknown, savage nature. This film IS that feeling, through its use of claustrophobic cinematography, opaque morality and oblique characterization. And like getting lost in a foreign land, Pitfall profoundly disturbed me in all the best ways.
A film about industrial power balance, ghosts and mortality? It absolutely works. Some fantastic photography too. The shot of feet walking across the loading ramp was amazing.
A very interesting, but odd film. It's a bit hard to get into as It starts slowly with a look at a couple of poor miners and the camera seems to wander as if it wanted to film a different movie. Still, the camerawork and the odd score grew on me, and as the plot progressed it became a more and more captivating experience. By the end it becomes a strange mix of social commentary, mystery and drama that leaves you wondering what exactly you've just watched.
"Exactly as planned" is a good description of this movie itself. It has a sense of precision and meticulousnes that compels the viewer into a grim determinism. Like a less grating Camus with ghosts set to avant-garde jazz played on traditional Japanese instruments.

Poster supplied byst_bernaSt. Berna