2016
Drama, Action
Follows the epic Biblical story of the Resurrection, as told through the eyes of a non-believer. Clavius, a powerful Roman Military Tribune, and his aide, Lucius, are tasked with solving the mystery of what happened to Jesus in the weeks following the crucifixion, in order to disprove the rumors of a risen Messiah and prevent an uprising in Jerusalem. (imdb)

I knew I was in trouble when I was bombarded with super smug Christian themed movie trailers. I'm the idiot that for some reason expected some Taken "I will find you ..." kind of movie and I set myself up for these disappointments.
Risen accomplishes something quite remarkable: It tells the familiar, timeless story of Jesus' death and resurrection from a fresh vantage point. The result is a movie that invites viewers to look at our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, not from an insider's perspective, but from an outsider's; through the eyes of someone with no reason to believe and every reason to be skeptical about the mind-blowing miracles that have just been performed. (pluggedin.com)
If asked to choose a premise for a religious film to watch, I'll take a premise like this one over the more generic offerings. While there wasn't much about this that was outstanding or particularly memorable outside of the occasional production design (marred by the occasional awful visual effect... looking at you, fire guy), it told an interesting story in a fresh new way and was at least competent in trying to achieve what it wanted to achieve. You could certainly do a lot worse this weekend!
Risen is far superior to a lot of these movies by simple virtue that it isn't an insufferably preachy film. It's still a project that sounds better than it does when given more thought - I wonder why that feels appropriate. The plot is divided in two, but neither part works. Joseph Fiennes is fine as a stoic warrior but falters when it comes to showcasing a change in character. But the film has decent production values and it is, at least, a different take on a well-known story.
Touching, but sometimes portrays Christ and His followers in a bit awkward manner.

Submitted bymatthew_parkinsonMatthew Parkinson on 25 Oct 2015