Syndromes and a Century
Syndromes-and-a-Century
Syndromes-and-a-Century

Syndromes and a Century

2006
Set 40 years ago in a small town's hospital, juxtaposed with a similar hospital in the present day. It is a fictional recollection of the love and work of the filmmaker's parents before they finally became lovers, exploring both memories and everyday lives in two eras where a painfully shy young man is courting Dr. Aroon, and a young monk has an unexplained attraction to a dentist.
Kanopy

More tonal poem than narrative, Syndromes's bifurcated structure explores the distance between the fertile/feminine, the mechanical/masculine. The camera proves a medium between the two, capturing the same exchanges from startling, unexpected angles. The visual convergence of solar eclipse and dark pipe suggests a blurring of time and space and even subjectivity. Visual representation of Buddhist cyclicality, rural/urban discordance, our inability to learn from our mistakes? Dunno, but I love it
Contemplative, mysterious, and beautifully heartfelt. I love films that employ these kind of meditative rhythms, and I love films whose mysteries invite you to revisit them. The structure of this movie is unlike any other I've seen before. One pays special attention to the mirroring instances between the two stories, many of which are done in subtle ways. The photography invokes an eerie blend of the peaceful and the vaguely unsettling, and the performances are all very naturalistic.
What the fuck did I just watch? It's certainly an original film, with not much in the way of narrative, or characters...there's definitely a structure to it, and the way the two halves parallel is interesting, even if not quite understandable. I don't know how to rank this. On the one hand, most of it was relentlessly boring. On the other hand, certain scenes did...something to me. They were oddly entrancing, somehow unsettling, bizarre, and natural all at once. I can't describe it.
Almost reminiscent of a low-voiced, unhurried Sans Soleil... To watch a Weerasethakul is almost to sink into another dimension. Constantly meditative, strangely playful and uncommonly tolerant, it's an absorbing, stunning film.
Last Year at Thailandienbad