The 20 Most-Loved Titles of 2021

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

The 20 Most-Loved Titles of 2021

Post by mpowell »

And here we are, at the end of the year. You might have noticed a slight change in the verbiage to the subject of this post -- for 2021, we've decided to celebrate not just the most-loved films of the Criticker community, but the most-loved titles. In this year largely without cineplexes, and with content of ever greater quality originating on TV, it seemed a natural step to take.

Most of the titles which follow are films, but a considerable number are TV Mini-Series or TV Series which got their starts in 2021. But they're all top-notch, according to the Criticker community... and that's what matters.

20. The Worst Person in the World - Love Percentage: 40.16%

"I absolutely adored The Worst Person in the World. The essence of the relationship, the value of life, the endless search, the adjustment, the non-belonging, the unfilled emptiness and the great songs. There are also two memorable sequences in the 12-episode storytelling. This film will definitely be one of those movies that I will watch over and over again." - feritdgn

19. Dune - Love Percentage: 40.38%

"Somehow this is up there among the hardest sci-fi I've ever interacted with, and despite no knowledge of the source material, I found it a fascinating, challenging and rewarding ride. Performances, Villeneuve, the visuals, the music, the intensity and tone and the way it manages to make exposition sound interesting... I'll be there for Part 2" - jthusky

18. Maid - Love Percentage: 40.48%

"Great mini-series showing how hard it is to break free from the cyclical nature of poverty, abuse, and mental illness. Characters both protagonists and antagonists are flawed and realistic. Which is a nice change from typical movies and shows. In which typically the protagonists are perfect and the antagonists are often borderline sociopaths. While there isn't a weak actor in the show. Andie MacDowell does an phenomenal job playing Alex's(Margaret Qualley) essentric unmedicated bipolar mother." - Jols93

17. Summer of Soul - Love Percentage: 40.7%

"Summer of Soul is a great time capsule of this monumental festival with great music and great insight into it." - slaterman2

16. Invincible - Love Percentage: 44.53%

"Already a top U.S. animated series after one season, if you are looking for simple yet effective storytelling with a great cast and lots of incredible violence, this is it. The only real flaws are some real inconsistency in the animation and some pacing issues , but neither through me off for long." - hellboy76

15. Bo Burnham: Inside - Love Percentage: 45.4%

"It's not especially funny, at least not in a laugh-out-loud sort of way, but it's super thought-provoking and cinematic. Upsetting in some ways too. A unique pandemic-inspired experience." - XakkMaster

14. Memoria - Love Percentage: 46.67%

"A meditative journey towards the absolute pushed forward by ghostly signals and the technology of nature. Feel like the first 3/4 of this is probably Apichatpong's best and most masterful work. The end is familiar ground for him but the imprint is still undeniable." - deaddilly

13. Quo vadis, Aida? - Love Percentage: 47.56%

"Feels incredibly inspired by past holocaust and genocide films, with visual nods to films such as "The Pianist" and "La vita è bella" and the relentless intensity of "Son of Saul". It's a strong and assured piece of work, that managed to keep me engaged despite not knowing anything about its subject matter." - frederic_g54

12. Time - Love Percentage: 47.92%

"The synopsis concentrates on Eric, the prison officer, but to my mind, that was secondary to the story of Mark Cobden and how a "normal guy" comes to terms with unexpected porridge. However, both stories were played brilliantly by Bean and Graham in one of the most threatening, authentic and grim dramas I have ever experienced. If ever there was a drama that showed why its not wise to break the law, this is it. The script was a little "wrapped up in a bow" but you couldn't fault the acting" - thegreyfox

11. The Father - Love Percentage: 48.76%

"Absolutely brilliant. Heartbreaking. Confounding in all the right ways. I don't know how the entire cast and crew executed this vision so well. It's mystifying but very eye-opening, and from what I know of dementia this seems like a very fair and accurate treatment. This is a stunning debut for director/writer Florian Zeller, showing not just how good his play from which this is sourced is but also how well he knows how to craft an environment that puts you into the mind of this character." - jacobclark12

10. Licorice Pizza - Love Percentage: 50.98%

"Though the backdrop may seem like a safe choice for PTA, the film is his loosest yet—structured almost like a string of vignettes than a cohesive domino-effect plot. It works. The cast is charming and loaded with hilarious bit parts for big names, the soundtrack is familiar but fitting, and PTA renders an honest and fun portrait of two humans." - Filligan

9. C'mon C'mon - Love Percentage: 51.39%

"I love films about small victories. Phoenix does not become a massively better person, but by being temporarily placed in Hoffman's role, he comes to think more about her perspective, partly by becoming closer to Norman, the most important person in her life." - doyler29

8. This Is Not a Burial, It's a Resurrection - Love Percentage: 52.78%

"A radical international breakthrough for Lemohang Jeremiah Mosese, a filmmaker who uses potential philosophical expressions to ask tough questions about the ravaged history of Africa." - Carlos Aguilar, RogerEbert.com

7. It's a Sin - Love Percentage: 53.03%

"Whenever these youngsters aren't saying "La!" obnoxiously, it's a really good drama. I could see Lydia West becoming a huge star." - KasperL

6. Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon a Time - Love Percentage: 54.12%

"this is not the magnum opus that is The End of Evangelion; it is its complement. a more than fitting conclusion to a singular franchise which, despite being outwardly about mental health and personal growth, has managed to captivate the world. the last 30 minutes are just as audacious as anything Anno has done, and a rewatch might lead me to raise this score even higher. it as much a conclusion to the franchise as it is to the Rebuilds, and perhaps moreso. I am overwhelmed." - Ocelot

5. Arcane - Love Percentage: 57.03%

"Terrific. Gorgeous animation and a well drawn story, with striking characters and a detail packed world. I knew nothing about the game, I don't think it matters. Please see and support this." - Difontaine

4. Flee - Love Percentage: 57.14%

"Original, thought-provoking and brilliant." - bentien

3. Can't Get You Out of My Head - Love Percentage: 62.82%

"Masterfully weaving disparate postmodern threads. Where Tupac and Thug Life are the perfect soundtrack to the failure of Late Capitalism, and where the revival of Morris Dancing inevitably evolves into either ISIS, or the KKK. The boundaries of Documentary and Video Art dissolve..." - christof

2. Drive My Car - Love Percentage: 72.6%

"Hamaguchi is really good at keeping the style subdued, but allowing performances and flourishes to raise from its surface. tells of unresolved grief, survivors guilt, and the languages with which we try to connect with each other. unfolds in an unhurried pace and is perfectly acted." - natebarrios

1. The Beatles: Get Back - Love Percentage: 74.19%

"Any sane person could be forgiven for assuming the world didn't need another Beatles documentary, but it turns that this is the one we needed. An outstanding achievement exceeding all expectations. Jackson apparently spent 4 years putting this together and it shows. It seems every single shot and audio clip either forces a re-evaluation of preexisting Beatles lore or foreshadows a future reveal." - snallygaster

ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The 20 Most-Loved Titles of 2021

Post by ShogunRua »

What is the definition of "love" here? 75th percentile or higher?