Brighton Rock
Brighton-Rock

Brighton Rock

1947
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Pinkie Brown (Richard Attenborough) is a small town hoodlum who's gang run a protection racket based at Brighton race course. When Pinkie orders the murder of a rival, Fred (Alan Wheatley), the police believe it to be suicide... (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduKanopyYouTube

Far better than most of the American gangster flicks of that era. Greene and Rattigan's script is consistently good, while Attenborough as Pinkie is a meaner badass than Cagney and Ed G. Robinson put together. Most especially I loved Hermione Baddeley's character Ida, the unlikeliest heroine ever to grace a film noir: A small-time showgirl in her 40s, a shrewd dumb blonde, loudmouthed, fearless, relentless in her quest for justice.
Brilliant portrayal of the classic novel. Masterclass in suspense and implied violence from which many modern films could learn a lot. Unexpectedly convincing portrayal of a cold hearted killer by Attenborough with the plot more of a study of evil in us all .. Well worth watching
Richard Attenborough - Vicious killer! I couldn't see it myself until I saw this film in which he plays a heartless bastard. Also impressive is how the film is less about gangsters and more about a duel for the heart and morals of a innocent woman.
Attenbrough is brilliant as both the ruthless killer and the naive criminal who lacks the wherewithal to successfully lead a gang and, deep down, knows it. Baddeley and Marsh are excellent too but some of the rest of the cast aren't so hot. The plot is pretty exciting, as you'd expect from an adaptation of a Greene novel, but some liberties were taken to move the narrative forward, which I'm sure was just to do with cutting some time.
Point blank, the payoff to the phonograph recording gag is arguably the greatest in cinema history. Aside from the fantastic Richard Attenborough, the rest is just above average.

Submitted bymythemeMytheme on 30 Sep 2006