Coal Miner\
Coal-Miners-Daughter

Coal Miner's Daughter

1980
Drama, Biography
Biography of Loretta Lynn, a country and western singer that came from poverty to fame. (imdb)

It doesn't do much to break the mold of the typical biopic - rags to riches to struggles (infidelity, death, though no drugs here) and back again - so it relies on its performances. Fortunately, they're uniformly excellent, with both Spacek and Jones offering convincing embodiments of naive and soulful country hicks. If you can dig on country music and rural settings (I enjoy both), I see no reason you couldn't appreciate this.
This seems to lay the groundwork for the typical biopic. I say seems, because I am not well-versed in biopics prior to this one. But, this one manages to feel fluid and coherent, despite a look at Lynn's life that spans 30 years. Also, feels odd that a biopic was done about Lynn, and that she is still alive and making music 40+ years later. Sissy Spacek got a well-deserved Best Actress win, but I am surprised Jones didn't even get a nom. It's also weird to see a young-ish Jones.
An excellent biopic - you really feel empathy for Lynn, and (I know this is illogical), you feel like you've known her all your life. The acting is superb.
Spacek's subtle, powerful performance is a tour de force that elevates the film overall, which also benefits from the outstanding technical elements, especially the cinematography.
Very good writing and performances, but started to lose my interest in the second half of the movie. Still, a great movie overall.

Submitted bywinbranwinbran on 26 Mar 2006