Running with Scissors
Running-with-Scissors

Running with Scissors

2006
Comedy, Drama
Running With Scissors is the hilarious and poignant feature film based on the personal memoir by Augusten Burroughs. The film chronicles Augusten's survival under the most extraordinary of circumstances. (Sony)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduTubi TVYouTube

It's an all over the place and misdirected series of vignetes poorly connected. Murphy tries to make it a quirky indy comedy and a coming of age drama and and falls short in both fields. On the good side, the production design is absolutely outstanding and there are a couple of funny moments mainly due to the mostly adequate cast.
Things just sort of happen, but then, this is a sort of biography, isn't it? That said, some of these things are amazing to think they ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Still, I felt like the main character, Augusten, had so little likeability (perhaps the actor's fault?), that it was hard to sympathize or get more emotionally involved. Joe Fiennes also gets a thumb down for some lazy acting.
Awkard pacing and direction ruin a uniformly great cast (including a game Joseph Cross). The director obviously has no idea how to tell this kind of story.
I couldn't force myself to watch past the first twenty minutes.
Really quirky. I liked it.

13 Collections including 9 Collaborative and 4 Public