The Palm Beach Story
The-Palm-Beach-Story

The Palm Beach Story

1942
Romance, Comedy
An inventor needs cash to develop his big idea. His wife, who loves him, decides to raise it for him by divorcing him and marrying a millionaire. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduYouTube

Claudette Colbert lights up an unorthodox romantic comedy with some wonderful looks and comments, but as none of the characters act anything like real people, it suffers from a lack of the relatable humanity woven into Sturges' best works. He seemingly writes himself into a corner before coming up with a ludicrous twist ending, which is laid out in the opening credits but insufficiently foreshadowed throughout the story to really constitute a satisfying payoff.
Another Preston Sturges comedy with Joel McCrea, not as satisfying as Sullivan but enjoyable. Lots of drunk acting, which is a pet peeve of mine.
Amusing enough, with colorful characters and funny situations; another old comedy I'd call "pleasant" - definitely worth a watch, I was consistently entertained, but it doesn't offer much replay value.
Claudette Colbert was so likable I disliked disliking this movie; edited after rewatch. This was enjoyable this time and I'm not sure why I disliked it before.
Twins? The fuck?