The Exorcist: Believer
The-Exorcist-Believer
The-Exorcist-Believer

The Exorcist: Believer

2023
Sequel to the 1973 film about a 12-year-old girl who is possessed by a mysterious demonic entity, forcing her mother to seek the help of two priests to save her. (imdb)
Franchise: The Exorcist
FlixFling
Peacock Premium

"We gotta try something different, try something new" proceeds to just make the Exorcist again but with two teenage girls. Almost zero character. Universal just lit 400 million on fire lmao. There's zero risk here, this was so bland I'd rather have a stroke trying to explain Exorcist II: The Heretic to Dahmer while he approaches me with a drill for some reason. Have Pazuzuuuu possess Halloween Kill's Big John and Little John next time this trilogy is DOA already.
Given that you can't outdo the shock horror tactics of the original, why stupidly repeat the possessed girl storyline? Cash, obviously & Diversity & Equity (i.e. black & Latino) mandates. At last black girls can finally "see themselves" as possessed by demons too! Because they have a black family in here, they also bring in an African voodoo(?) priestess because having a character based on any of the millions of black Catholics isn't properly Woke. Rabbis & Asian clerics also need not apply.
Yet another David Gordon Green horror flick with tight production, decent ideas and just the worst execution. The tie-ins to the original feel unearned and unnecessary. At no point did this feel like an Exorcist movie. Doesn’t help that there’s a complete lack of decent scares or tension. I didn’t have the acting, and the climax was genuinely a bit shocking, but the journey there ranged from mundane to watchable. I just did not care. Great score and make-up/effects I guess.
Unlike most people, I enjoyed David Gordon's Halloween trilogy, but this time he really messed it up. The Exorcist: Believer is a complete mess. Of course, I wasn't expecting a unique story, but I wanted to at least have a good time. Unfortunately, Believer is far from even being an average horror film. If you haven't watched it yet, I recommend The Exorcist (TV series), which I can't believe only lasted 2 seasons. And if you need a amazing sequel, watch The Exorcist III and see how it's done.
They really brought Ellen Burstyn back just to smash her eyes in and make her say the most generic and mindless lines of all time.

Submitted byrihreyrihrey on 20 Jul 2023