Theater Camp
Theater-Camp

Theater Camp

2023
Comedy, Musical
The eccentric staff of a rundown theater camp in upstate New York must band together with the beloved founder's bro-y son to keep the camp afloat.
Amazon VideoApple TVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

A real winner. Basically every single joke lands, the cast are incredible, and it has the perfect blend of admiration for and mockery of theatre types.
Strong Christopher Guest vibes. Much like the best musical theater, an objectively ridiculous experience that will make you laugh and cry at the dumbest things.
Amazing. I was 'pissing my pants' at the chapstick bit. Great cast. So funny
It's all-in with the comedy, and every joke lands with the solidity of Jimmy Tatro's jawline and the lightness of Noah Galvin's falsetto. The climactic performance stirs the heart, but only as much as music and passionate performers can - a bit more substance to the drama could have balanced the Buskin with the Sock* and made this a perfect treat - but as it is, it's a lot of fun, for everyone on screen and off. *I just learned that the drama masks are called this.
Nice to see the mockumentary genre again, especially in these capable hands. The film never drags, even in the muted dramatic sections, and it drew more than a handful of big laughs from me. Very entertaining and cute.

Submitted bysem_ii_sem on 22 Jun 2023