All the King\
All-the-Kings-Men
All-the-Kings-Men

All the King's Men

1949
All The King's Men is the story of the rise of politician Willie Stark from a rural county seat to the spotlight... (imdb)

It won the Oscar for Best Picture, but it's a great film anyway
Apart from remaining a disturbingly relevant critique of politics and an insightful commentary on the double-edged sword of populism, it's also a damn fine slice of cinema. Carried by one of the better "power corrupts/rise and fall"-plots out there along with the magnetic acting of Crawford, the reliable Ireland and the grossly underrated McCambridge. It has the style of the old Hollywood with the bite of the new.
I have some issue with the film's ultimate message that corruption is inherent in politics, because no matter how aware I may be that this is true I have to believe it doesn't have to be. That aside it's a powerful film brilliantly written and performed that kept me engrossed from beginning to end and made me think.
All the King's Men is unjustly compared to Citizen Kane as the inferior political/power-hungry fall-from-power drama, but I think they are so different that it's almost unbelievable they'd be mentioned in the same sentence. All the King's Men is superbly acted by Broderick Crawford and written with honesty and passion, showing how corrupt men in power can be both excellent and damaging at the same time. It's a great movie that is perhaps a little short and lacks the fleshing out it could
This hits dirty these days. Rossen films this pathetic political noir without any of the expected romantic throes. We begin with a mob and end with a mob and death - and, every other life is destroyed. Sometimes, I’m in absolute terror of cinema. This, something over 70 years old, has so much resonance and shouts so much truth to our present “completely unforeseen” and “unprecedented” times, I’m not only ashamed but embarrassed by my stake in the naïveté. We still can’t put it together again.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 05 Aug 2006