Censor
Censor-2021

Censor

2021
Horror
After viewing a strangely familiar video nasty, Enid, a film censor, sets out to solve the past mystery of her sister's disappearance, embarking on a quest that dissolves the line between fiction and reality.
Amazon VideoApple TVfuboTVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVudu
Microsoft Store
Kanopy
Redbox

Stylization of the video nasty era is cool, with some beautifully put together homages to giallo, exploitation horror and 80s gore -- the thing with the ratio aspect in the climax is nicely thought, despite not bringing much to the table --, but I guess I wanted more of the Cigarette Burns, weird, explicit grindhouse potential it flirts with and less of the sister's mysterous disappearance that unfolds perhaps in too familiar fashion. Algar is just awesome.
I rather enjoyed this. I felt there were some aesthetic and thematic parallels with Berberian Sound Studio; I really liked the styling of each film. Algar was great in the lead and handled the various aspects of her character most effectively. This was quite creepy and unsettling, and made good use of the video nasty moral panic as a background. A couple of touches felt underdeveloped and ambiguous, but this was another fine example of an imaginative modern horror film. Worth a look.
I hated back in the 80s when it would be neon pink out. My grandparents were on a film ratings board and got to see some wild stuff, but nothing like this happened to them that I know of Went on a video nasty hunt awhile back and watched some absolute nonsense but it led me to discovering Possesion so thank you cry baby British people oi this movie is too spooky
Anyone who loves film and genre film is going to be tickled at the concept of Censor. Putting the 'Video Nasty' censoring program of the 80s and 90s into your horror film is a great idea. While it may not come all together in the most satisfying manor, I had a good time and the film looks great.
A nice companion piece to Berber Sound Studio and Antrum. It doesn't do anything dramatically novel, but it still is a very tight piece of meta-horror that is just a fun, compelling watch. Great soundtrack, too!

Poster supplied byenverovicEnverovic