New York, New York
New-York-New-York

New York, New York

1977
Drama, Musical
The day WWII ends, Jimmy, a selfish and smooth-talking musician, meets Francine, a lounge singer. From that moment on, their relationship grows into love as they struggle with their careers and aim for the top (imdb)
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for New York, New York

On a technical level it's very impressive: the sets, costumes, songs, cinematography, acting, etc. are all great. But overall there's not the same magic that's in other Scorsese pictures. It's difficult to sympathize with De Niro's character, who has energy but it seems rather listless and uninteresting. Minnelli for the first two acts has fine awkward charm and good nature. But the third act is indulgent - impressive but it screws up all the pacing with the interminable "Happy endings."
A postmodern take on the classic MGM musicals that never really nails the comedy very well but eventually drums up some intriguing drama. There's some wonderful shots, highlighting the stylized artifice of the period. But some scenes are interminable slogs. But there are some really great scenes too. I dunno, I appreciate what Scorsese was going for, but there's so much of it that rubbed me the wrong way. Glad I watched it once, probably wouldn't ever do it again.
It's a good film and all, but damn is it long and messy. It's to musicals what Heaven's Gate is to westerns. It goes big and long and tries to do a lot of things but gets bogged down by all that weight. Scorsese tries to hearken back to 50s musicals while also adding a touch of 70s gritty realism to the characters. What we get is a DeNiro character who's amusing but not sympathetic, a string of musical numbers pushed off to the end, and uneven pacing. It's enjoyable, but tiring.
Fascinating film from Scorsese, a pet project he was allowed to make after a dream run in the 70s. Minnelli is the standout, with several awesome musical sequences (including her socko rendition of the title tune) and proving her chops as a dramatic actress. De Niro is somewhat marginalised, but still effective playing an unsympathetic character. Some meandering dialogue, and choppy editing which makes some plot points difficult to understand, do not outweigh the great moments.
Interminable. The pace and timing are off; it's entirely too long, scenes drag on, jokes are sustained past the point of amusement, and its marquee numbers are reserved for the end. And yet, midway through its unnecessary runtime, it beat me into submission. I became swept up in its deliberate artifice, De Niro's volatile performance, and its romantic adulation for golden age big band musicals. I think that, in most cases, anything which inspires such complex reaction is probably worth it.

Submitted bymhendumhendu on 23 Mar 2006