2002
Romance
A young Greek woman falls in love with a non-Greek and struggles to get her family to accept him while she comes to terms with her heritage and cultural identity. (imdb)

2002
Romance

Rated 19 Aug 2016
Nia Vardalos must have used some powerful dark magic to turn this cute but unexceptional movie into the box office juggernaut it became.
Rated 27 Oct 2011
They wanted to make My Big Fat Jew Wedding, but some big shot exec was like, "You can't put Jew in a movie title." They decided to go with Greek because what the shit are they gonna do about it, they are still resting on the laurels of a civilization that's been dead for thousands of years.
Rated 03 Aug 2010
Take all of the most awkward moments in family get-togethers, cram them into a movie, and you're stuck with this...only you volunteered to watch this. sucker.
Rated 09 Jun 2009
Each character has exactly one dimension and thus each actor has exactly one job to do.
Rated 29 Jan 2009
My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a hoot. At times, that is. It may feel limited and out of place most of the movie, but it recooperates and actually pulls off nice laughing routines. Still pretty dull in the eyes of me and several significant others.
Rated 19 Feb 2009
Nice feel-good movie with a warm sense of humor.
Rated 03 Jan 2014
Though it sometimes feels like a television sitcom, My Big Fat Greek Wedding is good-hearted, lovable, and delightfully eccentric, with a sharp script and lead performance from Nia Vardalos.
Rated 07 Dec 2016
Brimming with charm and likeable characters, this is the very meaning of the phrase 'feel-good comedy'. Some of the jokes are a little obvious, and maybe the point that the main character has a big family is a little laboured, but I can forgive the movie that. This proves, even if her other films don't, that Nia Vardalos is a talented lady.
Crap that made 20milion $
Rated 27 Jan 2007
You will literally laugh your ass off.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
My Big Fat Greek Wedding thinks it's a lot funnier than it actually is. Though it has that charm that only a movie about an ugly girl can, it never really is all that good.
Rated 20 Dec 2008
While the whole aspect of contrasting the differences between two cultures is effectively a limited idea, the film pulls it off quite well and is for the most part good easy viewing entertainment. There's the odd joke thrown in here and there providing the occasional bit of humour. To be honest I'm probably rating this a little higher than it deserves. However although I know it's very Hollywood and typically cheesy, I couldn't help get some enjoyment from it. Predictable, but decent enough.
Rated 05 Sep 2009
Really cute and sweet. An adorable mix of all sorts of love, as our leading lady tries to balance the "love of her life" her "love of education and work" and her "love for her parents and (very large) extended family." Well written, well acting, and quite funny!
Rated 27 May 2023
This movie is utterly benign. The dramatic intensity level never rises above about a 1.5 out of 10, conflict and stakes are minimal as can be, everything works out for everyone. Mostly functions as a fluffy cute sort of travelogue into the world of Greek American culture. Can’t say it’s one I’d watch again and again but lord almighty if this didn’t make Star Wars/Harry Potter/LotR money at the box office back in the day!
Rated 21 Feb 2008
I saw it. Its decent. Its not going to be something that I am going to stop everything and watch ever again. If I can find something else to do such as paint the house, mow the lawn or build a car I would. That's no offense to the movie though.
Rated 10 Sep 2008
Harmless and inoffensive, which is harder to pull off than you would think. Sometimes it's genuinely funny and the lack of production budget doesn't hinder the story too terribly. Worthwhile.
Rated 09 May 2008
lol
Rated 02 Mar 2009
I just love romantic comedies, I can't help it.
Rated 11 Aug 2013
I fell in love with a Greek woman once and I still don't know how to pronounce gyros.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
funny and charming.
Rated 16 Dec 2009
Put some windex on it.
Rated 24 Apr 2017
Rated 04 Jul 2011
I hate this fucking movie
Rated 13 Sep 2008
Cute.
Rated 07 Apr 2011
GYAGH
Rated 30 Dec 2012
I'll admit that the first time I watched it somehow I sensed more substance. Still, it hasn't lost any of its charm and wit.
Rated 10 Nov 2009
I watch occasionaly with whole my family. We like it...
walked out on it.
Cute.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Funny, but not the very best movie out there. Romantic and sweet, even awkward at times (many times), it's certainly entertaining... Just not a favorite.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
Harmless enough, but the way a Lifetime "comedic" tv-movie is "harmless".
Rated 01 Apr 2010
so-so... i wouldn't want to watch it a second or third time
Rated 15 May 2018
A classic always funny. Great chemistry between the actors.
null
Rated 08 Mar 2011
It is what it is, and it's decent at being that, with a few endearing characters and mostly funny humor.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
Not a big fan of chick flicks. As a man I usually like my love stories surrounded by violence or with unhappy endings -- but this movie pried my heart from my cold dead hands. Charming, endearing, truly funny, and pure. This is a simple movie with grand purpose. Somehow I could relate to these Greek characters. A heartfelt expression of romance and family and all of what is good in life. This movie is a modern fairytale that puts most fluffed up chick flick to shame. Great!
Rated 30 Aug 2007
Do not miss one of the most overrated movies ever...
Meh, what the hell--it has its moments...
Cute, but utterly without depth.
A good family-oriented romp that is a breath of fresh air during a feeble year for films, most of which are polluted with ridiculous amounts of violence and gratuitous sexual content.
Ya, not bad. The hype around it was a little more than I would have created if I were the sole viewer of this movie.... of course there'd be noone to have the hype influence, but regardless. It's all about the grandpa in this one.
Rated 25 Aug 2009
Fun, lighthearted comedic romance. I love the Windex schtik.
Rated 21 Jan 2008
Enjoyed nearly all of this hilarious romance.
Rated 14 Oct 2008
I like it. It's cute. But not really worth all the fuss.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Hilarious!
Rated 18 Jul 2010
I guess it had a couple of laughs but mostly it was pretty boring, full of stereotypes and unoriginal.
My wife loves this movie
not particularly funny
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Why do I get the feeling that Vardalos is just living out her fantasies with this self-indulgent crap? The stereotypes are pretty annoying.
Rated 30 Nov 2007
overblown, not that funny
Rated 25 Feb 2007
Ethnic cuteness is overdone.
Rated 15 Jul 2009
A passably-entertaining confection.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
fun ethnic component, but the characters were a little broad without much depth.
Rated 19 Aug 2022
One of my moms favorite movies. It is funny and quotable, I get having a nosy family all up in my business.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
My big fat greek SUCK! I'm here all week..... trying to figure out funnier ways to diss this movie....
Rated 02 Jun 2008
Sappy romantic story full of cliches.
Rated 25 Jul 2009
Typical RomCom, hold the interesting bits. In other words, yawn.
made me laugh..
Rated 25 Jun 2012
A fun movie which is one of my wife favorites.
Rated 08 Dec 2006
Didn't want to see this movie either but was pleasantly surprised.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Very nice story about a guy who marries into a Greek family.
Rated 13 Apr 2008
Brilliant and funny, and there really need to be more movies like this out there.
Rated 20 Jun 2008
Good acting. I think it gives a good account of the typical Greek lifestyle, or perceptions of it. It's funny and provokes discussion on gender, class and sexual identity. It's not too heavy.
Rated 07 Apr 2024
Rated 07 May 2014
Chic Flick Yes. But a watchable chick flick that ranks in my top tier is a rare item indeed. One wishes there were more movies with this amount of heart. One can tell how powerful a movie this is by the number of people that only give this a 1 out of 100 rating. Maybe it stepped on some cultural toes, maybe like the movie some just didn't like seeing a mixed marriage of cultures?
lame-ass boring wedding picture
Rated 13 Nov 2009
terrible
Rated 18 Sep 2008
Laugh til you knock out!!! The [plot is about a couple to marry with but different religion and custom.
Rated 22 Dec 2009
Amusing, forgettable, excruciatingly heartwarming.
Rated 29 Oct 2007
Romantic comedy with a very funny ethnic perspective. Heartwarming and sweet and hopeful.
Rated 05 Apr 2013
Funny. Good idea, the story line was great. The acting was superb. Was a cute romance comedy.
The story of my life... pretty much literally... minus the windex, my dad doesn't do that. Every thing else is pretty much accurate (for any non-Greeks wondering).
Rated 28 Jul 2008
Very funny film. Really gives you a good look into a Greek family and Greek traditions.
Rated 29 Jul 2010
My Big Fat Greek Wedding is a intoxicating and delightful romantic comedy.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
As a movie that really has nothing major to offer, I'm shocked at the $241 million domestic gross. Did women have no other option for an entire year? At the same time, it's a cute little romantic comedy, but $241 million??
Moonstruck with Greeks. The cheese is thick in this one, but having the charming Vardalos as the lead keeps the whole production from slipping into hoaky, Hollywood fluff territory.
Rated 01 Apr 2008
Such a sweet, funny movie!
Rated 27 May 2010
this is a mum movie for mums. not a cool movie for cool dudes like me
Rated 02 Mar 2009
Okay comedy, really only worked in a few scenes for me.
Rated 31 Oct 2008
I LOVE THIS FILM
Just a bunch of overhyped fluff. Good once? Maybe. Good twice? If you're masochistic.
Rated 03 Mar 2008
Brilant
Romantic and funnyyy
Doofy yet enjoyable and watchable. It's sweeter than it is funny, and I didn't quite believe the boyfriend/husband character, but it gets by on its big-family charm. Andrea Martin steals all the best laughs.
cute multicultural romantic comedy.
Rated 01 Dec 2017
Sweet, lovely and funny, easy to watch and entertaining. But there were too little problems or conflict for the characters, everything was a little too easy
Rated 16 Sep 2008
One could argue that this is nothing more than an ethnic sitcom. However, there are two crucial differences: (1) unlike a sitcom, this is actually funny, and (2) writer/star Nia Vardalos has all kinds of charm and screen presence
"Why you want to leave meeeee?!" LMAO
No, thanks
Rated 11 Jun 2020
One of those rare romcoms that I would actually watch more than once.
Rated 26 Apr 2021
Goodgreekjokes:P+WESTWAY+backstreetboy?austinpowersrobotspy?busy'sdad+menaretheheadbutwomentheneck+didntlikehertilhotlolbutremembersher+famfoundout-triedtomakedateotherguyslol+fixedbundtcakewithplantlmao+boughtthemahouse+daughtertogreekschool
Rated 18 Aug 2007
so adorably real & sweet- very feel-good
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Decently enjoyable rom-com houses some funny moments and decent heart, but isn't the kind of thing I loved.
Rated 13 Jan 2010
One word: Annoying!
Rated 19 Aug 2007
My dad swears that he grew up with Greek people like this. I loved seeming him laugh his ass off over it. I must say I've not met a mean Greek person (in America). The girl is hot as hell too.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Excellent
Rated 30 Dec 2008
Wow this is dumb.
Rated 31 Mar 2012
I laughed once during the movie (when the dad describes somebody as dry like toast). No idea how this became such a hit.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
Not really that funny unless you come from a massive family.
Rated 24 Jun 2017
Easy to get if you are from the Balkans