A Short Film About Killing
A-Short-Film-About-Killing
A-Short-Film-About-Killing

A Short Film About Killing

1988
The plot couldn't be simpler or its attack on capital punishment (and the act of killing in general) more direct (imdb)
Criterion Channel

Finally something that lives up to it's title. No pretentions, no viewer manipulation, no sensationalist imagery. Just a profound message told brutally effectively.
I don't necessarily agree with Kieslowski (the same way I don't agree with Von Trier in Dancer in the Dark) but this film approaches the subject matter in an amibiguous enough manner to let you ruminate on it a while and draw your own conclusions. The murder scene is one of the most brutal I've ever seen.
A laugh riot this was not. Despite its bleakness, I though this was excellent. It was effective and carried some interesting messages without being overbearing or too emotive. The filming style worked brilliantly in the context of the story, and once again Kieslowski elicited great, natural performances from his cast. Brutal, thoughtful, and thought-provoking.
Simple and only moderately effective anti-capital punishment tale. In short, over-praised.
Whelp, the title really lives up to what the movie is about. The message didn't change my own personal views on capital punishment but even without that message this was a well made and interesting film. The tone of the film is pretty great, Kieslowski made everything look so ugly. It's really cool. I like how he didn't forcefeed his own views down our throats and instead just presented a realistic film devoid of bias, I can appreciate it.

Genre: Drama