2002
Romance, Comedy
About a Boy is about a man (Grant) -- a handsome, rich, shallow, self-absorbed, irresistible cad -- and the unexpected relationship he develops with a boy he meets while trying to pick up another boy's mother. (Universal Pictures)
Directed by:
Language:

2002
Romance, Comedy

Rated 27 Feb 2023
I enjoyed enough but I wasn't too keen on the tagline: About a boy is about a man that is about to have a bout with about three women and it's about time.
Rated 07 Nov 2007
I'm planning a murderconspiracy against Hugh Grant. ........ Who's with me ???
Rated 29 May 2008
I actually found Hugh Grant to be pretty darn funny in this film. I caught myself laughing a lot more then I thought I would. Maybe I am just becoming a fan of these British movies (like Love Actually). I didn't enjoy the whole making up he had a kid part, and was happy when his cover was blown. The ending was a little far-fetched, but I didn't care because I was too busy laughing at how Grant took on his challenges. "Do you miss him"; 'Who?" "Your son." (that was my favorite line)
Rated 05 Mar 2007
While it may fail in its more serious segments, works as great fun in its more romantic-light-comedy tone.
Rated 19 Jul 2007
Hugh Grant as a selfish layabout? What a stretch! Still, this movie is sweet, funny and well made.
Just a really good movie. It's funny at times, and sad at times, but ultimately uplifiting. And the cast is well worth watching.
Surprisingly, a good Hugh Grant movie. Grant plays very much against his doofus/nebbish standard typecasting, and is very effective in this. Toni Collette is great as an embarrassingly-bad hippie mom to Nicholas Hoults' Marcus, who is also very well-cast and a much better child actor than we typically see in film.
Terrific, touching comedy. The kind of movie you don't want to end.
Rated 18 May 2008
Very nice movie. Watch it with you boyfriend/girlfriend.
Rated 05 Jul 2008
I don't know exactly why, but i really like this movie.
Rated 27 Dec 2008
A truly touching and human story about a father-son relationship between a lone bachelor and fatherless boy. Really a very sweet story and a good commentary on families.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
Hugh Grant with an edge, and it works.
Rated 07 Aug 2010
It's pretty warm and cool, thanks to Hugh Grant, doing his best character -- I do think the actor is somehow as empty as the character, but that's not a very funny remark.
Rated 21 Dec 2014
About a Boy is something of an unsung and forgotten British gem. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy and admire this film. Hugh Grant gives arguably his best performance here. Nicholas Hoult & Toni Collette are both strong also. There are several touchy subjects and each of the characters have their own struggles. But the humour is perfectly pitched. There are many heartwarming moments in this film, but in particular the scene with Grant & Hoult together on the school stage is undeniably touching.
Rated 17 Jul 2015
Nicholas Hoult outshines Grants acting, in the way that Hoult embodies the image of a child looked in psychological trauma due to his mothers instability. However, Grant and Hoult manage to play off each other well.Toni Collette's depiction of a mother with mental illness, makes the film for me. Her portrayal is utterly crushing,perhaps a little too familiar. In no way is this movie perfect, but the reality behind the narrative far outweighs the cheese.
Rated 01 Dec 2006
Great film, nice adaptation of the book. Actually liked Hugh Grant here, that's kind of special.
Happy romance.
Rated 28 Dec 2006
delightful and charming, like grant himself.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
Clever, fresh perspective
Rated 04 Mar 2007
Great use of voice-over.
Rated 07 Mar 2007
A movie that truly feels forced and as though it is trying so hard to be something that it isn't and teh result is a thoroughly unentertaining film.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
A Nick Hornby novel perfectly translated to the big screen by these Weitz fellows (who have otherwise directed shit), featuring Hugh Grant in what I consider his greatest role. The soundtrack is fantastic, and this is the first film I saw that I remember Nicholas Hoult from.
Rated 08 May 2007
One of my favorite books adapted into one of my favorite films.
Rated 25 Jun 2007
Hugh Grant is excellent at a reluctant father, and the duck scence is the best ever!
Rated 28 Jun 2007
Though I like the soundtrack better then the actual movie, this film is actually pretty decent.
Rated 02 Aug 2007
While I don't like Hugh grant much he does have a certain appeal after a while. The developing relationship between his character and the boy's is quite cute. Again bit of a feel good movie - but aren't all Hugh's movies feel good?
Rated 04 Aug 2007
This is the film people who don't like Hugh Grant like Hugh Grant in. The scene where Toni Collette confronts him in the restaurant is just terrific.
One of Hugh Grant's best roles. Between his puppy dog face and his interaction with the boy, you are in for a heart warming treat.
He only makes one kind of movie, and this is one of that kind.
Grant's dark, callous, post-fellatio persona is a joy to watch, and weirdly revealing.
Very endearing
A touching tale of two "islands" and their collisions which effect each other's lives.
I have a weakness for Working Title comedies starring Hugh Grant. I'm an anglophile, and I love wittily written movies about smart attractive complicated people. And no one plays a cad better than Grant. Toni Collete is also brilliant.
Oh Hugh Grant... give it up will you? Or at least stop your producers from releasing your films in North America. (If you like romantic comedies it's not THAT bad. There... I said it. Happy?)
Great characters -- Hugh plays a cad very well.
pretty ok
My favorite Hugh Grant romantic comedy ...since they are all pretty similar. If you needed to only see one, this would be it.
Really good performance by Grant as a darker character than usual and an interesting soundtrack by Badly Drawn Boy make a quirky adaptation of Hornby's novel.
Hugh Grant is such a bastard.
Cosy, crowd pleasing modern Britcoms have a tendency to wear me out, but this is one of the better examples, with some bite as well as plenty of genuine laughs. Grant is on smashing form - I always prefer snarky or oily Hugh to befuddled um, um, er… bugger Hugh - and he had great chemistry with little Nick Hoult. Nobody - NOBODY - could have predicted the latter day heartthrob status for which the latter, all eyebrows and nerdy sweaters, was headed.
didn't fulfill it's potential
Rated 15 Aug 2007
A cute movie that didn't follow the book well enough to my liking.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
OK romantic comedy. Arrested development is explored. I can just look in a mirror if I want to do that.
Rated 19 Aug 2007
very sweet movie that tells the story quite well
Rated 19 Aug 2007
Funny, touching. Standard Hugh Grant.
Rated 31 Aug 2007
ok
Rated 15 Sep 2007
Better than average comedy/drama is very well directed and acted, mainly by Grant who takes his usual persona to a stronger level.
Rated 09 Oct 2007
The interaction of Grant with the young Nicholas Hoult is very good and fun, bringing some of the best moments of the film.
Rated 08 Nov 2007
For the missus in the house only.
Rated 12 Jan 2008
Nothing wrong with doing nothing, from an existentialist perspective.
Rated 02 Feb 2008
I'm sure Marcus is an endearing 12 year old schoolboy, but sometimes he borders on the edge of irritation and annoyance.
Rated 07 Feb 2008
Great performances by Collette and Hoult. A very pleasant movie that I have seen probably too many times. I love it.
Rated 26 Feb 2008
This romantic comedy passes... mostly because Grant is way more likable as a cynical loner than a stammering pretty boy.
Rated 04 Mar 2008
Lovely.
Rated 07 Mar 2008
I remember liking this movie, even though it wasn't always cheerful the touches of humor and compassion made it worthwhile.
Rated 08 Apr 2008
Every hugh grant movie is like the same.. wtf
Rated 05 May 2008
A story about a self-absorbed cad .. why did they pick Mr Grant I wonder ? If the book was bad then the film was worse ! I liked the popcorn though.
Rated 05 May 2008
Has a few laughs.
Rated 15 May 2008
Maybe the best thing about it was the soundtrack.
Rated 17 May 2008
an awesome adaptation of an awesome book, that combined with a great soundtrack and comedy sensibilities makes this one of grants best efforts.
Rated 12 Jul 2008
I think I'm one of the only people who doesn't mind Hugh Grant at all. He is good in this and lives somewhat of a dream life which I enjoy seeing. Rachel Weisz is adorable as ever and they have good chemistry. Check it out.
Rated 26 Jul 2008
Hugh Grant's movies dont normally appeal to me, but this one I found suprisingly enjoyable.
Rated 29 Aug 2008
I loved Hugh Grant looking stupid so that the kid didn't but the rest of it was lame.
Rated 17 Sep 2008
One more great story of us
Rated 23 Sep 2008
Hugh Grant is great in this one. But I think it's more a comdey than a romance.
Rated 04 Dec 2008
Surprisingly I found this funny, engaging an touching in places.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
One of Hugh's better movies in my books, solid characters, some good humour.
Rated 30 Dec 2008
meh
Rated 30 Dec 2008
Endearing and heart-felt with a soundtrack to match, About a Boy captures the manchild growing up with Hugh Grant acting charming as always and the newcomer young actor who does a delightful job at being quixotic and endearing.
Rated 06 Jan 2009
Cute movie.
Rated 26 Jan 2009
Anti hero movie.
Rated 12 Feb 2009
Very light, in a good way.
Rated 13 Feb 2009
Suprisingly good
Rated 18 Feb 2009
"Admirably lacking in sentiment, this is a comedy-drama with a steady supply of laughs. Those who thought Grant's performance was the best thing in Bridget Jones should enjoy his turn here. It's just a shame the supporting cast don't match him gag for gag."
Rated 19 Feb 2009
A bit bland here and there, but Hugh Grant is quite fun at times.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
Grant is a douche yes, but I still find the movie charming...at least it was a romantic comedy with only one and a half douches.
Rated 31 Mar 2009
"...what makes About A Boy so refreshing is the surprise factor - surprisingly funny, surprisingly unsentimental, surprisingly enjoyable."
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Amusing comedy about the beginnings of masculine maturity, at its best when not taking itself too seriously.
Rated 20 Apr 2009
Be sure to take your insulin first.
Rated 29 May 2009
A winning comedy that benefits from Hugh Grant's boyish charms.
Rated 06 Jun 2009
Awesome. Movie.
Rated 09 Jun 2009
had a few good laughs with this one
Rated 17 Jun 2009
A movie with Grant that I can finally enjoy. Some of the scenes are great filmmaking, like the cringeworthy singing and the whole part of the mother is a bit embarrasing to watch until it becomes dead serious.
Rated 29 Jul 2009
Very funny, very well acted, nice story. Don't think I've got anything bad to say about this movie
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Likeable.
Rated 08 Aug 2009
kind of meh.
Rated 24 Aug 2009
changes your perspective about being selfish
Rated 25 Aug 2009
Even funnier than the novel it's based on.
Rated 10 Sep 2009
Watched it years ago but I still remember liking it
Rated 29 Sep 2009
Oh, the English.
Rated 04 Oct 2009
Like a chick flick, but with boys.
Rated 09 Oct 2009
A bit smarmy and uneven. I enjoyed it once, but wouldn't pay to watch it again.
Rated 10 Oct 2009
Really liked this. Grant was great I thought. Funny and intelligent. Well done!
Rated 26 Oct 2009
An underrated and brilliant comedy.
Rated 08 Nov 2009
The moment on the stage was moving. This kid is great.
Rated 27 Mar 2010
Funny script based on Nick Hornby novel.
Rated 09 Apr 2010
The book is amazing, the movie is not.
Rated 24 Jun 2010
Revisited (2)
Rated 07 Jul 2010
Charming and sweet
Rated 04 Sep 2010
Sentiments because of the book, Grant is grand, really enjoyed his performance.

Directed by: