Fireworks
Fireworks-1997

Fireworks

1997
Romance, Comedy
Nishi is a cop whose wife is slowly dying of Leukemia. One of his partners gets shot on the job and is confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life and becomes suicidal (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduKanopyYouTube
Hoopla
Plex Player
Cineverse

"All you need to make a movie is a girl and a gun." True that. But to make a really great one you need a girl, a gun and a guy with something special. Like Eastwood, Delon or perhaps 'Beat' Takeshi Kitano. He epitomizes cool. "Hana-Bi" in turns explodes and not just slows down, but pauses, in turns shifts between elegiac poetry and displays of art, painting, looking - and people attempting to grasp their situation. It's a film almost impossible to pin down. A must see.
It took me a surprisingly long time to sort out the separate timelines at the beginning, which in turn meant I never quite got into the film. Once I did sort it out I quite liked what I saw and it has some amazing elements. The visuals are strong and well constructed, the tone is very well done, the acting is solid and the ending is perfectly executed.
Rather similar to Sonatine, another Kitano film. Brutal violence combined with quiet beauty and gentle humor. I liked it, but it didn't grab me like Sonatine did.
I found Fireworks harder to get into than Sonatine and not as satisfying, but it may just have been because I saw Sonatine first. The movie doesn't linger strongly in my mind, especially when compared to Sonatine.
Silly, maudlin, morally detestable crap.

Submitted bytonytony on 24 Mar 2006