We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Agora

2009
Romance, Drama
A historical drama set in Roman Egypt, concerning a slave who turns to the rising tide of Christianity in the hopes of pursuing freedom while also falling in love with his master, the famous female philosophy professor and atheist Hypatia of Alexandria.
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Agora

I have to praise it for the ambition. Trying to combine the decline of a civilization, religious fundamentalism and a women's struggle to make scientific breakthroughs? Hard to do and it falls short. I do wish they had done two films, one for Hypatia and one for the world she was living in. Overall, it never becomes more than it's individual parts which is a shame. Also, I thought Rachel Weisz did well with what she had, but the film never let's her show the strength of the real character.
I'm not sure what to make of Agora. It takes several bad turns, still worthy of praise in a few others. What got me hooked is not religious angst, but representation of a science woman portrayed beautifully by Weisz.
Very well done historical drama about a woman who believed in science and was surrounded by big religious movements. The message of the movie was clear and brutal. Lots of CG aerial view of the city of Agora. Alejandro was focusing more on historical facts than people involved in it.
Maybe a little bit boring at the beginning, but brilliant as a whole. Great presentation of christians as brain-dead motherfuckers and really stupid and fucked up sons of bitches. The last scene was incredible. I'm very grateful for showing how human (in this case Hypatia portrayed by Rachel Weisz) was able to love science. Still enjoy being atheist.
A challenging, thought provoking masterpiece; intelligently written, highlighted by plausible and moving human relationships, an even handed and fair depiction of all religions (albeit the destructive effects); superlative performances right down the line; Weisz is heartbreaking as compelling lead character; Lonsdale very effective as her father. Potentially uncinematic philosophical concepts beautifully illustrated; film is exciting, and genuinely scary, during its action and carnage scenes.

Last modified by:cool1wowcool1wow on 05 Jul 2013