2006
The sequel picks up 10 years later. "It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s. Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex," Smith said during an interview at his Hollywood office. "It's: What happened to these dudes?" (imdb)

2006

I found it pretty much just as entertaining as the original Clerks. Certainly the plot feels "tacked-on" but let's be honest, the first Clerks was never, ever about the plot. My only complaint were that some points felt like music videos and a bit long but the dance number was hilarious. Also I never thought I'd find inter-species erotica as hilarious as this movie makes it. Great stuff if you're a Kevin Smith fan! If you're not then this won't win you over.
Rated 26 May 2008
This movie gets a 1 for Kevin Smith's 1-inch dick. Sorry to be unfunny, retarded, and self-consciously crass, but this hot-ass turd of a movie must've rubbed off on me.
Rated 13 Feb 2007
not like the first one obviously but still has the spirit. I love you Kevin Smith. "In a totally heterosexual way". :)))
It's just like a reunion of old friends. Not everybody could make it, but the important people are there. It's fun and a bit sad, and there's a consensus that it's not the same as it once was.
Might not be quite as funny as the original (although it's pretty damn hilarious), but it's certainly smarter. I really do love the characters, and Rosario Dawson turned out to be perfect for this movie. Elias seemed odd and out of place at first, but he ended up being just right, too. I was really pleasantly surprised by this, and walked out of the theater smiling. This made me genuinely happy.
It's very hard to re-capture the magic that is created with an original. While this doesn't quite capture it, it does a novel job of re-introducing the characters after 12 years. It's funny, and at times, heartwarming. If this is the final of the "Jersey Movies", it's more than an ample send-off.
Rated 04 Dec 2008
Clerks 2 was quite a hilarious movie, one of the funniest parts was the lord of the rings/star wars argument. fucking genius
Rated 26 May 2008
A movie for people who hate women, comedy, maturity, and movies. Jason Lee was the best because he was a total dick to those annoying, bitter manchildren and he stuck up for the nerdy kid. That guy was awesome.
Rated 07 Dec 2008
Kevin Smith should have left the original ending in Clerks...I prefer to watch Dante get killed by a robber than by a poor script. Ugh.
Rated 26 Jul 2008
I just love Kevin Smith. He's a master of dialogue. There hasn't been a movie by him I haven't liked and Clerks 2 is one of his best. Yeah, the direction isn't anything special but I love the characters as I'm sure a lot of people do. It does lose some steam in the donkey part and that hurts it since the scene is fairly long. But this movie is more emotional than the first. Clerks is only above this one because of the donkey scene. An excellent finale.
It's easy to see that Kevin Smith is confident in his fan-base, and he knows that he has the following to do as he pleases. The pop culture opinions and long-winded monologues fly, and they make Clerks II a terrifically funny film. The simple plot is perfect for the non-stop laughs that keep it afloat. For the most part, the actors are all better than they have even been, Brian O'Halloran being the very sad exception. If you're a Kevin Smith fan, this is a must see. Really good!
Rated 09 Feb 2007
Though at its core it is a true Kevin Smith movie with geeky dialogue and a big heart, the ham-fisted love story and the sense that it was mostly just phoned in make it by far his weakest film. It has some very funny moments, though, but it's not even as good as Mallrats. They may have had fun making it, but I only had a little fun watching it.
Rated 10 Mar 2010
Like Mallrats, it's too contrived and "Hollywood". I don't like conventional, happy-go-lucky, everything works out in the end love endings in this fashion, at least not this obvious or plastic. Some funny gags, but a lot of them felt stale, or maybe leftovers from ten years ago. This is pretty close to crap like American Pie.
Rated 29 Mar 2007
It was a romcom, but it had plenty of com and a donkey show. And that is all I need in a film.
Rated 16 Oct 2011
"The patchy work of a director stuck in an uncomfortable purgatory between his old-school comedic crassness and newfound dramatic mushiness." - Nick Schager
Rated 31 Dec 2008
I'm gonna miss these guys. It's sad that this is the swan song for the Askewniverse. But I know Smith will go on to equally great things I think this is probably a guy flick, especially the scene towards the end in jail. Dealing with strong emotions for another dude isn't always easy and I found this scene very poiniant to my own life. Miss ya Andy, you cock smoker.
Rated 28 Jun 2010
It feels odd to say that Kevin Smith doesn't get the point of his own movie but this kind of proves it. Just a hollow cash in by a man that has lost what once made him popular.
Rated 04 Nov 2007
"How could this day get any worse ?"...hahaha !!! One of Smith's best, i loved it !!!
Rated 06 Sep 2007
Scat. Complete scat. This what you get when a bunch of stoner college kids need something to fill their mundane lives with. A mere money grabbing attempt to recolor a somewhat entertaining idea. Nothing in this movie made me even care that any of my favorite characters were in it, aside from the credits, which coincidently meant that it was over, thank god. If Kevin Smith ever decides to continue any of his movies, I really hope he aims for an audience with a IQ higher than their age.
Rated 27 Jul 2008
I think it's important to remember here that, for everything that this film accomplished, it was about 30 pages shorter than it SHOULD HAVE been, thanks to the Weinstein's. Beautiful film, deserves every bit of praise it gets. But we have to deal with the smart marks who say "Oh, he never should have done this" and "Oh, the same stuff isn't funny anymore" and even "Oh, this movie was pointless." Pull your heads out of your asses. This movie was NECESSARY. I repeat, NECESSARY. A beautiful end.
Rated 26 Feb 2011
A delightful return back to the View Askew universe. Returning are the lovable characters Dante, Randal, Jay and Silent Bob and just a few others, but adding to the mix is Rosario Dawson as the love interest to Dante, whom is getting married and leaving New Jersey and the rest of the gang. Kevin Smith is a genius to return back to this humble town in New Jersey and put some closer on this universe, who knows if he will ever return back to it or not.
There are many hilariously funny moments in this movie, but the love story and supposedly profound realizations just don't work that well, because they are not really that profound.
Rated 22 Apr 2008
This movie is brilliant not to mention insanely funny. Rosario Dawson is amazing. She probably should have gotten an Oscar for her performance, but I don't think the academy will review a film with a "Donkey Show" in it. They're probably afraid they'd go "sex nuts and retard strong." Their loss really.
Rated 23 Jan 2008
The funny points are actually quite funny, but any time the movie tries to have a plot or a story it just becomes unbearable. Kevin Smith needs to make a 45 minute movie of just gay jokes.
Rated 29 May 2008
Also known as - how to make a sequel, by taking the best of the original and adding to it, without retreading old ground. A happy send off to the View Askewniverse, and what better way to go than a donkey show?
Rated 09 Jul 2010
For a fucked up sequel to such a stunning film, Clerks II is absolutely amazing, you need to be a goddam moron to say this is a bad movie. But I don't know, I was looking forward to check a Berserker revival...
At times it felt pointless, but I think that was the point. A nice little love story about every type of love you can imagine. It is melodramatic, but hell, it was fun.
Just as our heroes from the first film have not moved up in the world, so have the dick jokes stayed exactly the same. I wouldn't recommend this unless you REALLY like Clerks or Kevin Smith, and even still I'd suggest sticking with the original over this any day.
So profane... I love it. Man on donkey sex.
Sometimes embarassing, often mediocre, pretty much pointless.
Rated 10 Jan 2007
The actors (especially O'Halloran) are dreadful. The dialogue sounds almost nothing like real dialogue. There are a few funny bits, but it was not worth sitting through this just for a few chuckles. Most of the humor is retarded. The plotting is entirely predictable. My stomach clenched when I was subjected to one of the most awful movie clichés: the "fixin it up" montage. And the movie's "lessons" are enlightening only to someone completely stunted in his emotional development. Painful.
Rated 03 Sep 2009
Funny. shh.
Rated 16 Jan 2009
Clerks 2 has rose up the bar and taken it to the limits. It doubles the laughs, doubles the hilarity, doubles the outrageousness and completely stays aways from the element of maturity, which makes it such a fun movie. Sure it feels rushed, tacked-on, too hyped up and overly pointless on the plot and acting, but it wasn't meant to be serious. Just as good as the original.
So, I have a Kevin Smith continuem. On the one side lies Dogma and Chasing Amy; far, far on the other -- Mallrats. Clerks II definitely falls on the Dogma/Chasing Amy end. I enjoyed the heck out of it, as any true Smith fan would:)
Rated 07 Jan 2008
Easily one of the worst films ever made, for me. Not unwatchable, but in the context of the talent that is available and all the awful lines, awful montages, and awful choices its easily one of the worst films I've ever seen. Yet, I am drawn into its awfulness. I can't look away. I'm just fascinated by that there are people out there that think this is good, and that talented people made this crap. Most definitely a movie that you will measure how much of a douche someone is if they like it
Rated 28 Apr 2018
"Clerks II" starts out feeling like a relic from a bygone decade that no one really wanted to make. The humour is repetitious and dull, the jokes all too often centred around the same then topical themes and pop culture staples of the time, and everything fell flat for me. But after a delightful dance number, and a third act that serves as a true wake-up call, I realised that seeing Dante and Randal as relics was exactly the point. An almost rousing finale to the View Askewinverse indeed.
Actually manages to have more laughs than the first one. The romance elements were a bit cheesy, but other than that, this one is definetly on-par with it's predecessor.
Rated 27 Jul 2007
Fine example of what obnoxious and catch-phrase-filled internet discussing forum would look like in a movie form. Smith just keeps making shittier and shittier movies and doesn't evolve as a film maker the slightest.
Rated 16 Dec 2007
Anarchic, politically incorrect and lightly escatologic - a typical movie of Kevin Smith.
Rated 07 Oct 2008
I like it...crass humor (LOL when picking on LOTR fanboys) but a pretty good storyline...though i could have done without the donkey bit
Rated 15 Mar 2009
Funny stuff, very entertaining.
Rated 06 Dec 2008
Great, but not quite Clerks I
Rated 27 Nov 2011
Yeah it's preachy, yeah it's pointless and yeah there's an oddly high amount of born again Christianity spread out in it. But damn if Smith didn't do exactly what he said he'd do: Clerks Two. Tons of swearing, tons of geek references and tons to offend. It's also pretty funny while they're at it. A lesser but still good book end to the series.
Rated 18 Sep 2011
Never cast someone because of nepotism.
Rated 25 Feb 2012
This is one of those movies where I actually laughed quite a bit, but still felt like it wasn't that funny once the credits rolled. I guess that's sort of the definition of less than the sum of its parts. Still worth it to see if you're a fan of the first (and you should be), but it's really not too memorable.
Rated 25 Feb 2017
Kevin Smith brilliantly revisits his classic cast of convenience store characters in this much anticipated sequel. The film features much of the same elements and style seen in the original, however, interestingly expands on the characters since last seen years ago. Full of the expected pop-culture dialogue and crude humor, this sequel should give fans most of what they were hoping for.
Not Smith's best, but far from his worst. Would have been better if they left out the stupid musical number.
Rated 22 Jul 2009
dissapoiting
Rated 05 May 2008
Pretty fun, I liked Clerks 1 better.
Rated 03 Jun 2007
Kevin Smith goes back to the Clerks characters and comes up with a winner. Expertly captures the current hipster nerd culture and skewers it, while giving older fans a chance to catch up with slackers Randal and Dante.
Rated 06 Apr 2007
Not as good as the first, but still very funny.
A great conclusion to the Clerks saga. Wraps pop culture ruminations, the endearing characters from the first, some touching drama, and donkey fucking in one crowd-pleasing package. The unnecessary and fourth wall-breaking musical number is the one weak part.
Rated 17 Feb 2008
Simultaneously tasteless and sweet.
Rated 15 Dec 2006
Entertaining throughout.
Rated 17 Aug 2010
Rauncy, clever and funny--this is a great sequel to an already great movie. Great cast!
Rated 12 Dec 2008
Mainstream comedy, I know, but there's just something about it!
Rated 02 Apr 2016
Smith's return to his roots seemed both risky and desperate in 2006, and while Clerks II cannot really compete with the charmingly (s)crappy lo-fi quality of the original, it distinguishes itself on its own equally outrageous terms. The new characters are mostly likeable--especially Elias and Becky--while old favourites like Dante and Randall are developed in surprising and satisfying ways, revealing new depths that correspond with their current life-phase. It's damn funny at times too.
Funny, but has a heart underneath all of its dirty bravado. But mostly dirty. Which is good.
Rated 03 Jan 2011
funny, funny movie
I felt this sequel was basically a little brother walking around in Big Brother's tennis shoes. Maybe I'm seeing Clerks through rose-colored glasses, but this was just a paint-by-numbers romcom (where most of the romance is between two guys) to me.
Rated 08 Feb 2013
it's hard to believe they manage to cram so many clichés into it. but it still has a couple funny dialogues, i guess.
Rated 02 Jul 2008
I personally like this film more than the original Clerks. Its a fluid happy go lucky go round with some familiar old characters.
Rated 30 Oct 2007
Classic.
Rated 24 Mar 2011
Why do I do this to myself.
Rated 04 Dec 2008
More great dialogue, funny, amusing, endlessly engaging.
Rated 24 Feb 2012
The schtick is running a bit thin with me, but it's a decent enough effort at a sequel. It comes to some satisfying conclusions from the first film's anomie without making it completely unbelievable. White it is funny I didn't feel the jokes worked as well as the first film. That's mostly because the humor isn't as fresh and he is pretty one note in regards to comedy. Definitely worth the time to fans of Kevin Smith or the first film.
Rated 16 Feb 2009
It is what it is.
Rated 04 Feb 2009
Is it Clerks? No. However, I still enjoyed on a level slightly below Clerks, so I'd recommend it.
Rated 01 Apr 2007
Great follow-up to a classic.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
eh
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Stop directing, Kevin. Writing is okay.
Rated 14 Jan 2008
comedy o the year
Rated 31 Oct 2007
Not Kevin Smith's best film but enjoyable as usual. Only to be watched after Clerks and other of kevin Smith's works though!
Rated 07 Nov 2011
I liked it, but for different reasons than the original Clerks. The humor is way more obnoxious and way less subtle, and it just generally feels like everyone is having way more fun than they were in the first movie. It's less unique and charming, but still has funny moments. The big difference is that the first movie pulled off its serious drama seamlessly and effectively, but in Clerks 2 it feels forced and not very engaging.
Rated 11 Sep 2010
As a fan of the original Clerks, this sequel didn't let me down. I'll definitely watch it again, just not right now.
Rated 18 May 2010
Its not the same as Clerks, but it is still hilarious. People who have seen the Clerks would definitely watch this, if you havent seen it then it is recommended. If you havent seen Clerks then one should probably give up watching movies. The drama towards the end was unexpected but inter-species erotica was just plain right hilarious in its own way.
funny but extremely redundant
Rated 11 Jun 2010
i chuckled a little at the lord of the rings joke and for that, i won't give it the zero it deserves for being inept, childish, and dull, but that's what makes kevin smith an auteur, isn't it?
Rated 05 Apr 2024
In “Clerks II” (2006), Dante and Randal navigate life after the Quick Stop burns down, now working at Mooby’s. Despite changes like the absence of the Quick Stop, the film retains its witty dialogue, allowing characters to grow emotionally. Dante’s impending marriage and Randal’s unease add depth, while Rosario Dawson’s performance shines.
Rated 23 Dec 2013
Clerks II dishes up much of the graphic humor and some of the insight that made the 1994 original a cult hit.
Rated 12 Jul 2008
Besides Rosario Dawson being hot as hell, this movie was lacking a lot of stuff that the first one was amazing for. There were some funny conversations throughout it but I wasn't feeling it...
Rated 10 Mar 2010
I can't remember anything of the movie, so probably it wasn't really memorable..
Rated 11 Feb 2009
Two words: donkey show.....enough said
Rated 14 Oct 2008
funny
Rated 09 Dec 2021
eng; [clerks 2; clerks II]; nachdem der minimarkt abgebrannt ist, helfen die zwei chaoten in einem fastfood-laden - mit diskussionen um ehe und mehr verrücktes zeug des alltags.;
Though far from perfect, this made me laugh harder than any previous Smith feature.
Rated 24 Nov 2013
I didn't ever expect it to live up to Clerks, but I thought Kevin Smith would at least make a worthwhile movie.
Rated 30 Jun 2008
Not as good as Clerks I, but still enough wrongness, interesting dialogue and silliness to make this an enjoyable frolic from start to finish.
Rated 16 Aug 2021
Host ratings: 70 / 84 / 76. (Kevin Smith Showdown) Podcast review link: https://rydeorwrong.podcaster.de/rydeorwrong/folge-016-kevin-smith-showdown/
What a disappointment considering how good the original was. This movie did have several bright moments...the silence of the lambs scene, but largely left you longing to go rent the first one.
Rated 26 Dec 2009
Up until the climax of the 'inter-species erotica' scene Clerks II far surpasses its predecessor and is fully on-course for a five-star review... then Smith 'does a Chasing Amy' and fills the final 20 minutes with unfunny, overly-sentimental, embarrassingly cringeworthy monologues which ram home points with a sledgehammer. It doesn't wreck the movie as it does in Amy, but it certainly detracts from the hilarious, well-written, perfectly acted hour-or-so that comes before.
Rated 15 Dec 2011
Much better than I gave it credit for the first time round...but it's not something you can just rush into without being a fan of his other films.
Rated 20 Apr 2010
Not consistently funny, but it's pretty great when it hits its mark. See the Pillowpants and "porch monkey" incidents.
Rated 16 Mar 2010
It's a very funny film. But the donkey... :|
Rated 06 Jun 2011
Better than Clerks. That's about all I have to say.
Rated 30 Jan 2018
A lazy sequel about lazy people. A surprising number of jokes land, but then you think about it, and realize how many of them don't. Dawson clearly outclasses everyone involved and is fun to watch. Jay and Silent Bob mostly don't annoy. On the other hand, thankfully someone talked exec-producer Harvey Weinstein out of actually filming a giant-scale vagina dentata sequence.
Rated 29 Sep 2008
The plot and any dialog attempting to move the plot sucked sucked sucked
Rated 12 Feb 2012
Wah, waaah. Unimpressive on every front.
Rated 16 Jan 2015
How did Kevin Smith get Rosario Dawson to be in this?
Rated 15 Dec 2008
Loved it the first time. Second time, not so much.