2003
Action
The paths of two warriors converge when the Emperor of Japan hires a Civil War veteran to train Japan's first modern army. As he encounters the Samurai traditions, the troubled American soldier finds himself at the center of a violent and epic struggle between two eras and two worlds, with only his sense of honor to guide him.

2003
Action

Plenty of slow motion close ups of Tom Cruise looking heroic.
Entertaining, if mildly insulting and totally overwrought.
Rated 27 Nov 2007
Wonderful acting with a deep, cultural story.
Rated 18 Apr 2009
Oh, come on!
Rated 28 Jul 2008
Pittyful escuse for a film. A western guy that can learn how to be a samurai in a few months. only in america...
I've always enjoyed the Fuedal Era, the portrayal of it's end in this film is very good indeed.
Rated 25 Oct 2007
Tom Cruise's last good film. I saw this movie in theaters eight times & enjoyed it more everytime I went. There are plenty of films out there about samurais, but few of them capture the real beauty, discipline, & tranquility of Japanese culture like this film does. Not only is the story interesting, Tom Cruise being the only American in the midst of a samurai village, the romance was a nice touch, the action was to die for, a very complete film.
A nice, long, entertaining movie that makes you feel educated after watching it. However, I have no idea what, if any, of it is actually based off of fact. Still it is an interesting story of an american man learning japanese culture.
Rated 14 Jun 2007
It was too unbelievable that you were the oly one who survive that fight, Tom Cruise =l
Rated 23 Sep 2011
Great movie.
Rated 19 Dec 2013
That Watanabe
Rated 13 May 2008
I enjoyed it a lot, cruise did a great performance and the story was believable.
Rated 15 Mar 2016
A waste of money and effort that attempts profundity and achieves nothing
A seriously confused film, caught between Dances with Wolves redux and Tom Cruise vanity vehicle. Plenty of moralizing to go around. Cruise is hideous.
Rated 27 Jun 2008
good, but not great, too much hollywood inside
Rated 21 Oct 2010
This is the one and only Tom Cruise movie I can honestly and truly say I loved. Even then I'm pretty sure that the movie was amazing in spite of Tom Cruise.
Rated 09 Feb 2014
good
Rated 04 Nov 2009
Entretenida
Rated 16 Nov 2010
Very interesting and cool movie!!!
Rated 10 Nov 2008
This movie is a worth a watch just for the ninja scene. Cruise's attempt at Brave Heart/Gladiator. Not bad.
What a pity such brilliant technical work was so wasted on this bloated, offensive script.
Tom Cruise is THE LITTLEST SAMURAI.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
You tired of the DANCES WITH SAMURAI jokes? I'm not.
Rated 29 Aug 2007
Heh.
Rated 04 Jan 2009
Bad Ending.
Better than expected. Kept me interested the whole movie which is long.
Rated 12 Apr 2008
I had picked this up many times, but put it down again thinking that I would not like it. When I finally did watch it I was amazed! This movie is wonderful! I definatly recommend it!
Rated 08 Mar 2009
Yeah... Tom Cruise can be a crazy man, but still a good actor. And the picture of a new born Japan is made with precision and beauty...
Rated 29 Jun 2008
Exciting thriller. Good storyline as well. Thought provoking.
Rated 09 Jun 2009
When Cruise's final words are expelled from this 148-minute slug, it's like being released from jail.
Rated 26 Dec 2011
highly predictable, but still, rather enjoyable once you let the atmosphere of the movie grab you. The ending was a bit disappointing though.
Rated 23 Aug 2022
Maybe if I hadn't watched this several times a year for every history class I ever took...
Rated 12 Oct 2007
Dances with Wolves in Japan!
Rated 01 Dec 2007
It's a really good movie.
Rated 01 Sep 2007
More sci-fi than action/adventure. Cruise reinforces the idea that he was miscast in this film by his performance. Who takes the blame for this mess? writers? director? Some good actions scenes save this from total bombdom.
Nice movie
Rated 19 Dec 2011
it is a very good film.you should watch it!
Rated 16 Oct 2008
I LOVE this film. With a passion. Tom Cruise was perfection, as was Ken Watanabe [he always is]. It was beautiful to see, and I became wrapped up emotionally in The Last Samurai.
Was pleasently suprised by this moive. Didn't think I would enjoy it at all but ended up loving it. Very involving film. Emotional in places. Great acting and directing, good storyline. Definatly worth seeing.
Rated 24 Sep 2010
A punchy, if melodramatic Tom Cruise vehicle, that combines more Japanese cinematography with a more American style of action and narrative. The film drags in the middle but the opening and closing acts are well-done.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
I hate war movies, so this was a bad idea too see this one.
A gaijin's ultimate Japanese fetish fantasy is improbable, but lush and watchable.
Rated 22 May 2017
Borrows heavily from Shogun - but enjoyable
Rated 27 Aug 2008
Turgid, bloated, but effective in some places. An "Oscar Puppy" if there ever was one (only Cold Mountain is a bigger offender).
Rated 03 Sep 2008
Do yourself a favour and just go watch the complete Shogun series. Or better still, read James Clavell's book.
great story, and acting
Rated 26 Aug 2008
Watanabe makes this movie as good as it is. Excellent period work, costume, etc. The director even managed to keep Cruise under control - amazing.
A great epic war film with great performances by Cruise and Ken Watanabe
Mediocre, with a silly ending.
A stirring epic with great performances from Cruise and Watanabe.
This was an ok movie.
Rated 03 Nov 2007
De un tiempo a esta parte, Tom Cruise se ha esforzado mucho por romper con el estereotipo de carilindo galán que lo hizo famoso. The Last Samurai es uno de esos esfuerzos, complementado con una generosa cuota de acción, aventura y el discruso moral que toda película de estas características ostenta. No es una obra maestra ni redefine el concepto de los films de samurais, pero es efectiva y sumamente entretenida. De paso sirve para descubrir que Tom no es tan mal actor como parece. Hay que verla.
Rated 28 Jul 2008
The whole idea of Tom Cruise being a samurai is pretty ridiculous, that being said this is still quite a good movie. Ken Watanabe is great.
Rated 15 Nov 2008
A very good movie for an action movie. Intense fight scenes.
Rated 14 Jan 2010
SLOW MOTION MACHINE GUNS: I WILL ONLY SHOOT TOM CRUISE IN NON VITAL LOCATIONS
Rated 22 Feb 2008
actually like this, even though i am not a tom cruise fan
Rated 08 Jul 2012
Putting aside all problems of overt romanticism, far-fetched plots, and my exasperation toward yet another white savior movie - this was incredibly entertaining.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Nice movie that tries to shed a light on the cultural differences between the last days of the feudal Samurai era and the foreign capitalist westerners, trying to colonize Japan. Tom Cruise wasn't bad as the Wild West hero trying to battle the last remnants of Samurai and ultimately ending up as one of them.
Rated 23 Oct 2007
Another great Tom Cruise movie - one man's spiritual journey to inner peace, in the beautiful, tranquil and at times violent setting of early-modern Japan. Ken Watanabe does a fantastic job playing a rebellious samurai lord who refuses to follow his countrymen into the modern era.
cool movie with cool fights and cool guys
Nicely executed directing. Good cinematography. Slow paced just like Asian films. Not the usual "happy ending".
Rated 17 Apr 2020
Once you get past the fact that "the last samurai" is a white guys and all the claims of cultural appropriation or "whitewashing," what you actually find is a good movie with an intriguing plot. As a historical fiction, the movie succeeds for the most part and Tom Cruise really dives into his role and does what he does best.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
I'd recommend "The Twilight Samurai" instead.
Rated 29 Aug 2007
i liked this.
Rated 12 Sep 2011
THe first have was really brilliant despite Tom Cruise. The second half was kind og boring.
Beautifully shot movie... great characters... i really could've done with someone other than Tom Cruise in the lead, but hey... what can ya do?
Rated 18 Nov 2009
While there are some script issues, Cruise and Watanabe deliver good performances. A nice epic with a weak ending.
Rated 05 Jul 2008
What pretentious shit. Has some good photography, though.
Entertaining and probably rewatchable.
Somewhat insulting action trifle with distracting star moments afforded to Cruise. Everything without him is gold, meticulously designed and edited. The ninja scene is an all-time highlight.
Rated 15 Dec 2007
a most believable mocumentary. no! an action film set as a historical drama.
Rated 15 Mar 2009
they could have done this so much better...
Rated 01 Feb 2021
John Logan likes to write screenplays to this kind of movies. Its wonderful (except the script) movie and was a nominee for some Oscar's but sadly didn't won any. Samurai's were generally great warriors and that is presented very well. Also we can see a harakiri.
Rated 23 Oct 2007
long and drawn out. ending is messed up. fight scenes were okay.
Rated 23 Aug 2008
Pretty enjoyable. Tome Cruse is okay. Some very nice scenery.
Rated 16 Mar 2010
A solid showing by everyone in the film make this a great character driven film with some pockets of fun action. Even T.C. (not Top Cat - even if that would have been awesome) manages not to annoy me.
Rated 29 Dec 2013
Loads of fun, but never feels as deep as it wants to be.
Rated 10 May 2007
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE! I dunno, decent movie I guess, but Tom Cruise just totally rubbed me the wrong way in it. Felt cliched too, like I'd already seen the movie in certain places. Guess you could do worst then seeing this, but then again, you could definitely do better.
Less epic than it wants to be, where it truly works is on the character levels.
Rated 09 Jun 2007
Not nearly as bad as people say. While yes, the plot strains credulity, it's no worse than any other Hollywood film, and is mostly fun escapism.
Rated 24 Aug 2009
great swordwsplay, a redemption story, and an epic war
Pretty mediocre.
Rated 16 May 2007
Ken Watanabe gives a great performance.
Rated 15 Dec 2008
Yet another movie in which Tom Cruise refuses to die.
Rated 04 Aug 2010
Tom Cruise best movie yet.
Rated 07 Jun 2010
Besides american, it's a great samurai film breaking some paradigms about japanese culture. Just awesome!
Rated 11 Jun 2007
Lame, boring, and unbelievable.
nice
Rated 11 Jan 2009
Not Tom's best
I thought this movie was one of cruise's best. The story is wonderful and the ending is even better. I hate when people say this is a bad movie because they never have a valid reason why.
Rated 10 Nov 2007
well, the scenes were nice, but cruise for samurai? hmm.. it comes weird to me!