2001
Romance, Drama
Set in medieval times, this is the oddball, sometimes awe-inspiring story of a rookie (Ledger) discovering if he is the stuff of which legends are made. (Columbia Pictures)
Directed by:
Written by:
Starring:
Country:
Languages:

2001
Romance, Drama

Rated 11 Jun 2021
On sheer adrenaline alone it gets a passing grade, but joust barely.
Rated 07 Jan 2007
I ain't even care, I fuckin' love this movie. I love the stupid anachronisms. I love the goofy characterization of Geoffrey Chaucer. I love the by-the-numbers low class dude rising to glory through sheer force of will (GET IT? HIS NAME IS WILL!) plot. I love how impossibly gorgeous Shannyn Sossamon and Laura Fraser and Berenice Bejo are. It's just one of Those Movies that does a ton of things perfectly for me when it had no right to do so. WILLIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!
I stand by this film no matter what anyone says. It's a Princess Bride for the new century: witty dialogue, countless smart historical references, and an enjoyable story simply because it's so classic. And who can resist jousting + Queen?
Rated 27 Aug 2008
I've never watched any movie more than this, and loved it so much. I watched it almost every night for two weeks, it never gets old and it's never less inspirational than the first time.
It's simply a fun take on knights in shining armour. Cheesy in parts for romance, goofy in parts for the sake of comedy with some decent action scenes throughout. Honestly I thought it worked out well and turned out to be pretty entertaining. Not great but entertaining.
Rated 07 Mar 2008
A good "flick" for a lazy Saturday afternoon or something for guys-and-girls to both enjoy; but nothing particularly memorable.
Rated 30 Aug 2008
A painful take on medieval times and knights and swords. 24 for Queen rocking the house down, and a bonus point for Heath Ledger not being totally bad.
Rated 04 Mar 2009
Worst use of Bowie ever..ever ever...ever ever ever!
Rated 17 Jul 2009
My friend took me there after begging me to go. Ended up paying for my ticket she was so upset I had to sit through this.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Have you always wanted to see a movie about knights set to arena rock? Well you sir are an asshole.
Rated 27 Sep 2010
"It's called a lance, hello." Sorry. Again, a guilty pleasure of mine with a great supporting cast. Paul Bettany is splendid!
Rated 10 Oct 2011
Ledger gives an earnest performance, but this movie is overlong and mundane.
Rated 29 Aug 2014
I'm confused; did I just watch a romantic comedy with jousting or an action movie with British accents, very pretty men and more of Paul Bettany than I'm comfortable with? Does it work? You be the judge, but it's worth seeing just to display almost as many medieval anachronisms as "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves".
Rated 07 Mar 2015
Hits all the right feel-good notes, with its rock 'n roll-infused medieval sports underdog storyline nestled within a moving rags-to-riches tale featuring a memorable cast of secondary characters surrounding Ledger's stubborn but likeable William (Bettany's charismatic Chaucer and Tudyk's fiery Wat are particular standouts). Passionate romance and a bevy of deliciously dramatic or humorous moments and one-liners round out this unabashedly straight-forward piece of cinematic candy.
Rated 22 Feb 2016
There are things wrong with this movie, most of them having to do with the romantic subplot. But there are so much more right with it. Great pace, (mostly) great actors, great lines and gratuitous shots of Paul Bettany's backside. Underrated.
Rated 17 May 2017
[Extended Cut] Utter magic from the get-go. More times than I can count, I have weighed this film, I have had it measured, and have never once found it wanting. Its comedy is gold, its action immersive, its music stirring, its emotions resounding, its performances faultless (Paul Bettany performs his bare ass off). Peak cinema.
Rated 01 Jan 2019
The modern music takes you out of the film. Tries to be both moving & a silly kind of funny. These moods fight with each other.
Rated 24 Dec 2022
This movie is the fever dream you have after eating a bad turkey leg at a Renissance fair and then go home and the movie you happen to turn on as food poisoning slowly pulls you into madness is 40 Days and 40 Nights.
Rated 03 Jan 2023
it shouldn't, it should absolutely NOT work... but it does. bravo.
Formulaic and predictable, but damn if it isn't at least a little fun to watch.
Rated 02 Mar 2007
Cute, cute and more cute... not just Heath Ledger, but the movie as a whole.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Lame.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
Rock and roll and jousting? Meh.
Rated 26 May 2007
Music video anyone?
Rated 22 Jun 2007
Made retarded via bad film track and terrible script and acting.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
They tried to be tongue-in-cheek and silly, but it doesn't really work.
Rated 03 Aug 2007
This is not a good movie. But I like it anyway.
Rated 04 Aug 2007
Old farts like myself often like to point out the anachronisms in historical fantasies like this, but A KNIGHT'S TALE takes anachronism to heretofore unheard-of and ridiculous levels. At least it makes FIRST KNIGHT look better by comparison.
Who knew that back in the day, the lords and ladies of the court rocked out to Queen? It's amazing, the things you can learn from watching movies.
purty good
"Chaucer" makes this movie worth watching
Very well made, a romantic comedy with more comedy, which is how it should be.
It was a little better than I expected it to be, I suppose!
Dumb
i dont remember this but i really didnt like it at first but thought it was okay by the time i was done with it.
Didn't think I would enjoy, but pretty good movie. Good acting, story, and soundtrack. Light hearted and sometimes funny. Men and women will enjoy.
I have an unabashed love for this movie. The tongue-in-cheek approach to touranments being treated like a modern-day sports film works so well. The performances are all fantastic, and the dance scene slowly working its way into David Bowie's "Golden Years" is one of the hottest things ever. Seriously.
I got a few laughs here and there, and knights and stuff are cool, but this movie didn't do too much for me. I also think Shannyn Sossamon is hideous.
Awesome fun.
Not too bad of a film, in general. Good for a renting movie, on a lazy weekend. Some comedy, some action, some decent acting - take a look at it if you need something to watch. Geared for a younger audience though (teens).
The jokey tone really deflates this movie.
I suppose this is a fun idea, the idea being that people in the middle ages of England acted the same way about jousting as present day American people act about football games, but the film has few saving graces. Some clever characters, such as Paul Bettany as Geoffrey Chaucer, keep the film slightly above water, but the weak romance and silly action keeps it from really swimming. No comment on the Queen-filled soundtrack. Crap!
A great story of knights and horses. Very watchable, well done middle ages story. This genre is always hard to do without camp, so when someone does it right, it's a good thing. And this movie is a good thing.
Another one of those concepts that works. Almost. Ledger has some charm and the sports themes don't add much but manage not to detract from the typical sports fun of the Knight games. A movie as notable for its strangeness as its quality.
There are a few bright spots in this otherwise dull movie, which seems more like an excuse for teenyboppers to stare at the latest heartthrob for 90 minutes. Fortunately for Ledger, he's a way better actor than he lets on here. Paul Bettany is awesome, thankfully.
Wow. What a dumb movie.
Strictly beer and pretzels fun.
Pure entertainment, that is not a bad thing.
it was made to be summer fluff, and it achieves just that.
worth watching for the soundtrack alone
Jousting is kind of cool, I guess. It's goofy and over the top in such a cheerful way that it kind of works in spite of itself, and I had a few smiles while watching it.
Escapist, if forgettable, fun.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Don't know why i like this. Probably because of the medieval rendition of We will Rock you.
Rated 19 Aug 2007
Not at all a bad film, but so full of cliches and so incredibly predictable it's a bit silly. However, it has a wonderful cast and, like it's characters, it has an incredible heart. Cheesy, but fun. Enjoyable.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
Was cool, a bit of a girly flick but i enjoyed it...
Rated 21 Aug 2007
ok
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Entertaining romp
Rated 28 Aug 2007
This could have been SO much better. And it was good enough so that I really felt the lack. The cheeseball use of modern music, anachronistically jammed in sideways, really messed with my wa.
Rated 29 Aug 2007
Ugh.
Rated 11 Sep 2007
Fun story but the modern music really kind of cheapened the movie in my eyes.
Rated 11 Sep 2007
More fun that it has any right to be.
Rated 16 Sep 2007
goofy but pretty fun
Rated 06 Oct 2007
The modern soundtrack could have been more cleverly interwoven for a better effect, but it feels like it's there for no particular reason. The characters are lovable though, and it's pretty fun to watch.
Rated 21 Oct 2007
Pretty good movie, interspersed with lots of great humor. Paul Bettany delivers a smashing performance as Chaucer.
Rated 26 Oct 2007
Entertaining. A little blah.
Rated 29 Oct 2007
This movie is the strangest movie I have seen in a long time. Set in medieval times and using classic rock music, it is unique and funny.
Rated 17 Nov 2007
I watch this movie solely for the costume design and great music.
Rated 25 Nov 2007
amazing
Rated 22 Jan 2008
Fun in places, jousting is great, flat in others. Lacks spirit, and seems dull in a way. Not very re-watchable.
Rated 28 Feb 2008
Nice.
Rated 06 Mar 2008
I watched this when I was kind of sad for some reason... I think a zephyr conversation was stressing me out. oh yeah, there was a big miscommunication that I had to work out. but finally got to watch it, and it was a happy movie.
Rated 11 Mar 2008
The best part being Heath Ledger, and the whole thing looking like modern day football cheering. Rest is cliche.
Rated 14 Mar 2008
Very strange but funny...
Rated 20 Mar 2008
This is an imperfect but underrated film. Brian Helgeland has written such treats as "Mystic River", "Man on Fire", " L.A. Confidential" and "Conspiracy Theory". Here, he serves as Writer/Director/Producer, putting together a solid cast - several of whom were lesser known at the time (Alan Tudyk for example) and Paul Bettany is a particular delight as the literary great Geoffrey Chaucer. It's a heart-warming tale with a positive message and is certainly worth the rental fee.
Rated 26 Mar 2008
I can't wholly dislike any movie that includes a 14th-century jousting audience clapping along to "We Will Rock You." Paul Bettany's Chaucer is also a lot of fun.
Rated 02 Apr 2008
Rufus Sewell's voice, OMG!
Rated 05 May 2008
Rest in peace, Heath, you were a very good actor and you made some very fun movies. This is one of them, anachronisms and ridiculous plot be damned.
Rated 09 May 2008
Jousting with a modern twist (rock music! woo)
Rated 20 May 2008
It wasn't great... the soundtrack just didn't fit the movie. The movie tried to be cooler than it really was.
Rated 27 May 2008
A new vision over Middle Ages! Queen's music is the best!
Rated 28 May 2008
Good light-hearted fun.
Rated 01 Jul 2008
I think people get way too hung up on the music in this film. It's a novel idea, love it or hate it. If you get past that, minus Miss Sossamon, I think this film is brilliantly cast and directed. It's a great Saturday afternoon movie with some of the best comic relief I've seen lately (Addy, Tudyk, and Bettany).
Rated 04 Jul 2008
awsome
Rated 14 Jul 2008
A nice jousting/love story. I was a fan of the modern twists in it, because I agree that the medieval ages were indeed missing out on David Bowie and Queen.
Rated 30 Aug 2008
This is funny movie, carried by it's great characters, but there also awful anachronisms.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
entertaining, a good hang over movie!
Rated 10 Oct 2008
I just hated this
Rated 14 Oct 2008
Heath
Rated 15 Oct 2008
A good medieval movie with some strange twists (Queen?). Also, yes, it was good before the Heath Ledger hype.
Rated 16 Oct 2008
This is a highly enjoyable film inspired by Canterbury Tales. Heath Ledger is perfectly cast in the lead role and had a real feeling for his character. The supporting cast are great and the soundtrack is a mix of rock and others really suits the feel of the film
Rated 22 Oct 2008
Fun romp through very faux 'medieval' times. Great for a lazy Saturday.
Rated 09 Nov 2008
My kids watch it all the time, funny swashbuckling good guys versus bad guys sward fighting and jousting with predictable ending. You gotta love it
Rated 13 Nov 2008
i liked it when i was 10.. but when i recently saw it again... ehhh.
Rated 02 Dec 2008
[SUPPORTED THEATRICALLY]
Rated 03 Dec 2008
Not nearly as good as it thought it was, but a bit of fun all the same.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
i really really hate this movie
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Overused classics are played into a medieval tale and it feels as cheep as it sounds. It doesn't help that the love interest is a complete bitch and no guy in their right mind would continue to chase after her. Ending is also pretty lame, especially considering the movies intentions. It's just nonsensical and pretty annoying.
Rated 22 Dec 2008
A girl room mate of mine made me watch this and that was a terrible thing to do.
Rated 14 Jan 2009
bad movie
Rated 20 Jan 2009
This is a really nice movie to watch as a kid with a really nice moral to it that I always think of whenever I talk about this film. The moral is "you can change your destiny." I'm not sure if that's true but I definitely believed it as a boy after watching this movie! I remember watching it a 2nd time in my French class for some reason (in English) as we were dealing with "medieval times" that semester. In retrospect, this movie really did already demonstrate the capabilities of Heath Ledger.

Directed by: