Beauty and the Beast

1991
Musical
Family/Kids

Rated 02 Jun 2016
One of Disney's crowning achievements. Fantastic music, endearing characters, beautiful animation, a charming romance, sophisticated writing, and a clever sense of humor. Masterful.
(2014-15 Disneython #24:) Disney in the midst of their wonderful '89-'94 creative peak. It has a charming and wondrous sense of fantasy, Belle and Beast are perfectly realized characters, the animation is beautiful, and the songs are just terrific ("Belle," "Be Our Guest," "Gaston," "Beauty and the Beast," all great). It makes me feel like a little girl again! Which is weird, since I'm a man :-/
Rated 04 Jun 2017
"To think of that poor Beast having a vast library of knowledge but not being able to utilize it," he wrote on the internet, a worldwide infrastructure of information, but specifically, on a mini-review website as a break from the near hour lost to memes and gifs on reddit.
Rated 22 Jun 2007
It was nominated for Best Picture (but lost out to the equally good film Silence of the Lambs). That alone should say something. Disney continued its departure from earlier damsel-in-distress leading females, first with Ariel in Little Mermaid, and now with the independent and therefore 'odd' Belle in Beauty and the Beast. Not only is this beautifully animated with great music, it's both amusing and immensely touching. A must-see.
Rated 05 Mar 2008
Probably my favorite of the traditionally-animated Disney films. A gem!
Rated 12 Jan 2009
If you can't enjoy this, I don't think we can be friends.
Rated 06 Jun 2011
Another Disney masterpiece, and again, that's because it's an emotional powerhouse.
Rated 25 Mar 2023
This, probably the most accomplished entry in Disney's animated canon (edging out 'The Lion King' and 'The Princess and the Frog'), holds up wonderfully and will no doubt continue to do so due to the involving story, the funny characters, the legitimately great songs and absolutely fantastic craft from both directors and animators.
Rated 03 May 2011
A classic among classics in the Disney library.
Rated 24 Jun 2012
Wonderful characters, fantastic and memorable songs, and a beautiful story. I've lost count the amount of times I've seen this and it never gets old. Disney's best film.
Rated 26 Nov 2010
I only recently revisited this movie from probably the decade or so ago that I last saw it and I was surprised at how much stuck with me. I was humming along to the songs (and singing parts), I remembered a lot of the lines, and I still had my strange attraction to Belle (she's the best Disney lead female ever). It's not my favorite of the Disney flicks, but I honestly think it's just as good today as when it came out. Considering how much animation movies have evolved I'd say that's impressive.
Rated 08 Sep 2008
Even with hindsight, this is truly an amazing film. The pacing and themes are operatic, yes - but that means they're also universal and poignant. It moves along too briskly, but when the story catches its breath (e.g.: after the wolf fight, the Title Song) it creates a sense of legitimate beauty.
Rated 04 Oct 2008
One of the all time greatest fairytales and the most magical Disney-animated classic. Ever.
Rated 11 Mar 2012
Downright incredible movie, Beauty and the Beast is very well animated, voice acted and, alike other Disney films, great character development and one of the best screenplays in an animated movie I've ever seen. There's no wondering why it's such a classic.
This is truly a masterpiece of animation. This movie also showed the growth of CGI in animation. The voicework and the musical numbers are classic Disney fare. This marked a true upswing for Disney.
Rated 09 Mar 2012
Gives ugly people like me hope and shows how French guys are assholes. Win/Win.
This was the beginning of an incredible run of films by Disney in the early 90's. Beauty and the Beast is beautifully animated, and the music is wonderful. It's a classic story that was adapted well, and the film is fun to watch again and again. Awesome!
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Probably sentimental bias as it is the earliest movie can remember going to the theater to see. I still consider it the best animated movie.
Rated 10 Aug 2011
Classic Disney. Really, it doesn't get much more nostalgic for 90s animated musicals than this.
Rated 09 Oct 2012
One of the Disney masterpieces. Timeless story, fantastic music, gorgeous animation, and the greatest cast of characters in any Disney film. Nothing more needs to be said. If The Little Mermaid wasn't quite enough for people to be convinced that Disney is back, then Beauty and the Beast should be more than enough.
Rated 09 Feb 2015
One of the most mature animated movies Disney ever made. It was never one of my favorites until I got older, but once I did, I realized and truly appreciated all the different layers here, and how carefully-crafted this film is as a whole.
Rated 07 Nov 2011
Simply a joy to watch. I liked it as a kid, but re-watching it as an adult, I think I like it even more. Animation's well-done, it's decently funny, and I love the music, particularly with Gaston.
Pales in comparison to the Cocteau version. I'll admit maybe I'm being too harsh on it, but it's hard to appreciate this as much when there's a better and quite similar version of the same story out there.
Rated 30 Mar 2008
I fall in love with every woman that gently brushes the wisps of hair from her face.
Rated 10 Jul 2012
Enchanting, sweepingly romantic, and featuring plenty of wonderful musical numbers, Beauty and the Beast is one of Disney's most elegant animated offerings.
Rated 15 Jul 2013
The worst Disney movie I've seen. An angry, frustrated, lonely, sexually repressed man embodied as a beast kidnaps a young woman and makes her his married slave. Belle's storyline is de-emphasized so that we can watch the beast turn from a savage animal into a proper well adjusted man. It's disgusting folks. Oh yeah, and the French are objects personified so that they may better serve.
Rated 22 Jul 2019
One of the last "vintage" Disney animations gets a high score for sentimental reasons, but it lacks its own identity or even a story that's worth telling in such a simplistic way; musical numbers are fun, but seem to be aping THE LITTLE MERMAID ("Be Our Guest" is essentially a reprise of "Under The Sea") though Lansbury's beautiful rendition of the title song stands alone as a Disney gem. Still enjoyable, but not nearly as ambitious or successful as its immediate predecessors and successors.
The best animated film ever made- and the only one ever nominated for best picture!
Rated 31 Mar 2013
It's a fun story with really pretty animation and wonderful songs. I like that the songs are pretty varied in content and style but they still manage to all flow together very nicely. Overall, it's a fun film. The characters are, if nothing else, interesting. But, they are also frustratingly inconsistent and used by the story in some rather troubling ways. Belle's eventual submission, Gaston's turn from ass to full on villain and Beast's barely earned transformation all hamper my enjoyment.
Rated 03 Jun 2013
I think this film tells a TERRIBLE message. He has to learn beauty is more than something on the outside, but an inner thing as well? TO prove that point he gets to woo the girl who has the best inner AND outer beauty? What does he really learn after all? Shit. SHrek has a better message. I still love it though.
Rated 20 Mar 2017
A fantastically animated musical featuring arguably Disney's best group of songs. The amazing music, the beautiful animation, plus a wonderful cast of side characters helps create that infamous Disney magic around what is kind of a weird fairy tale. Belle is certainty the strongest Princess to appear then thus far, and Beast might be the most characterized Disney Prince at this point as well. Unlike the tragic finale of "King Kong"(1993), here in the end twas Beauty that saved the Beast.
While overly sappy, the music is fairly well-done, and the animation is also noteworthy. Against my better judgement, I rate this above average.
Rated 03 Oct 2017
A masterpiece of not only a musical, but of cinema.
Rated 29 Jun 2014
Beauty and the Beast is another one of my all time favourite Disney classics. Sentimentally this is one that stands out for me and it fully deserved its best picture nomination. The early 90's was Disney at their peak and this film kick started a run of some of Disney's best. The animation is beautiful, the characters remain as loveable as ever and the unforgettable songs steal the show. Along with classic like 'The Lion King' & 'Aladdin' this is personally one of my favourite Disney films.
Rated 15 Apr 2017
With unforgettable musical numbers and stunning animation, Beauty and the Beast is, simply put, a Disney classic.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Bland movie for girls that have been planning their weddings since they were five and the gay dudes they'll eventually be bearding. Also aggressively sexist and sadomasochistic.
Rated 03 Jul 2007
Gaston is a man's man and his chest is so hairy and something about animation.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
This movie came out at the height of Disney awesomeness. They don't make them like this anymore, though I can't say that I'm a huge fan of this girlie stuff.
Rated 08 Oct 2009
I re-watched this movie many months ago after not having seen it in a good long while, and was surprised and delighted to discover how much I still enjoy this movie, even now that I'm an "adult". I found the character of the Beast to be very entertaining to watch. Story Critique: The story is good. A classic. It's not very complex, though. The characters make the movie fun to watch.
Rated 06 Jul 2018
The music, character development, and magical atmosphere are all spectacular. Unfortunately on the villain side, Gaston's more of a caricature than a believable human. This leads to points of bathos rather than true engagement-a shame, because Belle, the Beast, the objects, and even Maurice are established beautifully on a sensitive level. I'll call this film a masterpiece one day, but today isn't this one.
Rated 19 Jan 2011
If we look at all the categories, you can see that this is one of the greatest Disney animated features. Best Disney princess (Belle), Best Disney Prince (The Beast), the best Disney music, and a great villain (Gaston). What more could you want? Oh, great animation? Well, we've got that too! Beauty and the Best is, in my opinion, one of the greatest Disney Animated Feature of all time, second only to Fantasia.
Rated 12 Sep 2012
I was ready to puke after the first song.
Rated 30 Dec 2015
90's Disney was a tough time for me, I was too old to be blown away and still too young to fully "get it". Having watched this as an adult I was impressed but still not blown away.
Rated 23 Apr 2009
Man, the 90s were good to Disney. I wish they could recapture some of the magic of this movie with their films nowadays.
Rated 25 Mar 2010
Wonderful Disney musical combines superb animation, splendid characters, and lively songs about a beautiful girl, Belle, and the fearsome and disagreeable Beast. Supporting cast includes the castle servants (a delightful bunch of household objects). Notable as the first animated feature to be nominated for the Best Picture Oscar. Destined to become a classic.
Rated 16 Oct 2010
Charmin' toe tappin' musical.
Rated 15 May 2007
CAN YOU DRINK LIKE GASTON CAN YOU FIGHT LIKE GASTON! CRAZY OLD MAURICE! BE... OUR... GUEST BE OUR GUEST BE OUR GUEST BE OUR GUEST.
Rated 13 Jan 2017
In my opinion, one of the best hand drawn animated disney films out there.
Rated 02 May 2012
"I release you. You're no longer my prisoner." Never have these words been more rom...I'm sorry, but this is just retarded. I don't mind the movie not being dark and moody, but it's just trying too hard to bee cheerful and cute. This movie wastes its time with redundant music numbers about mundane crap. Or a jerk who's complaining about people not liking his jerkish nature. And when it gets (supposedly) romantic, the tea pot's the one singing about their feelings for each other? What the fuck
Rated 31 Aug 2010
Howard Ashman's lyrics, Alan Menken's music, and Orbach's jaunty tune-filled turn as Lumiere, the debonair candelabrum, are the highlights of Walt Disney Pictures' lovely, visually stunning, and ambitious adaptation of the legend. Lumiere's delightful "Be Our Guest" number is as good as anything from Busby Berkeley or Broadway. Enchanting fun for all ages.
Rated 19 Sep 2018
The beautiful animation, catchy songs, and emotional voice acting are all hampered by the fact that the Beauty and the Beast tale is not one worth all the effort. The effort is applauded, but wasted on a story that basically boils down to Stockholm Syndrome.
Rated 30 May 2008
The best Disney's movie! Simply perfect!
Rated 02 Jan 2009
Although the narrative is far from disappointing, it is undeniable that does not have a good timing, the story goes very fast, leaving holes. While it is a well produced animation.
Rated 03 Jun 2015
Truly timeless and romantic, "Beauty and the Beast" codified Disney's revival with its seamless art direction, classic musical score, and sincere portrayal of strong characters and a story of acceptance and selflessness.
Rated 05 Sep 2015
Rated 28 Apr 2008
It was a nice movie
Rated 12 Feb 2011
Almost perfect, just hated the sound of the scream she made when she was being attacked by the wolves; it was SO fake!!!
My all-time favorite animated film, the most depth, romance, action, storytelling, richest animation, and perfect music. Brilliant!
Gaston is awesome.
Rated 07 Apr 2009
i really really hate this movie for one it is so amazingly shit and what is the beast supposed to be
Rated 31 May 2008
Not my favorite Disney classic.
Rated 21 Oct 2007
Great story, but it is a cartoon.
Rated 25 Feb 2017
As a little girl who loved books it was hard not to fall in love with the movie. Now, years later, it still has its charm although some songs do seem a little bit dumb. Its message about inner beauty is important and easy to understand even for kids.
Rated 29 Dec 2013
A masterpiece with a weird sense of justice. The arrogant prince fell in love with the most beautiful girl of the village (that's a difficult task, huh?)... and she fell in love too because, you know... "castle". I know, I am mean, but I've always found curious how the spell should teach the prince to look beyond the appearance... and instead... Belle. Anyway, a masterpiece. Supreme.
Rated 29 Apr 2008
Hehe... one of my favourites when I was young.
Rated 16 Jan 2012
Lapses in logic abound, and the final chapter is just going through the motions, but the musical sections are fucking perfect. This and Aladdin are probably the two Disney's I watched the most of as a kid. Still one of my favs.
Rated 14 Jun 2012
Oppskrytt!
Rated 02 Jan 2023
Beauty and the Beast is one of the best Disney movies of that era. The animation has been made even more gorgeous than the original in the 4K remaster. The music is fantastic with each song better than the last. This film is filled with comedy, drama, and some action too. It really hits every note which is why it is a classic. It holds up very well because it was one of the earliest examples of Disney moving away from the damsel in distress formula. It is nearly perfect in every way.
Rated 11 Sep 2007
Yeah, it's good, but for all the, Belle is strange and smart and different, in the end she just ends up someone's wife. How'd that happen?
Rated 04 Sep 2010
Gothic disney! Best thing that happened to disney animated movies to make people watch them seriously. This one is timeless.
Rated 18 Sep 2017
Animation-wise, this is one of Disney's best; it is pitch perfect in places. The surprising thing is the weakness of the musical score, it looks like the perfect story to pull in first-class tear-jerkers but the songs just doesn't work.
Rated 04 Jan 2009
i love all of the old disney movies... they remind me of my childhood... when mom wanted to sleep for a while she always let me watch some movie like this one
Rated 23 Aug 2015
Yeah I really liked this
Rated 04 Jul 2008
Nice Disney movie.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
Amazing animation,
Rated 23 Oct 2019
A pure classic that offers the best music of any Disney film before or since. The characters are well-crafted and incredibly memorable. The hand-drawn animation is still the most beautiful of Disney's impressive reportoire.
Another bothersome musical romance film from Disney. It's well made but has very little to recommend it if you're male and older than 12 or so.
Rated 18 Feb 2009
Beautifully animated and wonderfully told, this movie deserves the title of "classic".
Rated 29 Dec 2007
Do I belive that this film is an animated masterpiece unappreciated by the general public? Yes, I certainly do. What I wouldn't give for the animation days of old when directors hired for talent rather than name recognition...
Rated 18 Mar 2009
(second viewing) I could've gone without the musical pieces (they only seem to work in a dream sequence, hallucination scene,...), but it's quite pleasing and probably the best disney film from the 90's. PS. If she's such a bookworm, why use water to treat bite wounds :o, what's next, smear some butter ???...
Rated 21 Jan 2008
Well done for its many genres.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Belle is awesome because she READS.
Rated 31 Jul 2010
I wanna know if the toilet is alive.
Rated 29 Aug 2007
Sappy.
Rated 20 Nov 2012
Man this was like my favorite disney movie.
Rated 12 Jul 2008
Charming!
lovely
Rated 29 Jun 2008
While I'm not a huge fan of the animated musical, this one actually is pretty good. This is back in the old style of Disney animation... There was something post Lion King that was simply lost. "Be Our Guest" is one of those songs that will stick in your head forever...
Rated 20 Aug 2015
Twenty years old, anyway, going on 21. Beauty and the Beast, the Walt Disney Studio's 30th cartoon feature, cast a quick, sure spell over audiences, critics and the Motion Picture Academy. The first animated feature to be nominated for Best Picture, the movie also secured three of the five slots in the Best Original Song category, winning for the title tune. After many permutations on VHS and DVD, the film is back in theaters in new versions & formats like 3D, DVD etc
Rated 15 Oct 2008
The first movie I saw in theatres I believe. Still excellent, bonus points for Gaston.
Classic Disney.
Rated 19 Nov 2014
From when Disney still made movies with heart. I like the personal look of the animation and most of the songs too. Could use a better plot though.
Rated 22 Mar 2010
Visually stunning. Disney did a fantastic job at bringing the French tale to life. And the animation is just absolutely brilliant.
Rated 06 Jul 2010
No one gets fucked off over the topmost tower like Gaston!
Rated 24 Aug 2022
I'm a huge sucker for girls that read books and boys that let them do what they want.
Rated 23 Oct 2015
I don't understand why everyone is praises this film, it's not any better than any other Disney films from the same era.
Rated 14 Jan 2024
Work re-watch
Rated 27 Jul 2016
I LOOOOOVVVE this movie. I'm actually utterly speechless. It sure is a "tale as old as time."
Rated 20 May 2012
"Be Our Guest" is simply the best Disney song ever made. It's glorious, grand, full of equal doses of wit, wonder, and razzle dazzle. And, just like Beauty and the Beast, it's absolutely timeless.
Rated 18 Mar 2013
Best disney classic ever!