NetflixNetflix basic with Ads

2023
Action, Adventure
Nimona is the only person that can help Knight Ballister Boldheart to prove his innocence, he is framed for a crime he didn't commit (imdb.com).
NetflixNetflix basic with Ads

This is difficult to review because it is, for better and worse, so different from the beloved comic. For better, it's more outright Queer! It's super accessible! For worse, it's kiddified. It has no stakes. It fails to execute its takedown of the system; the anarchist vanishes after her big moment and the status quo is OK again: the armoured police continue to roam the parks. For neither here-nor-there, it's fun! It's energetic! It's lovely! It needs a pass from the 2D animators from Arcane!
A retro medieval... futuristic... something. Anyway. I liked the concept but what I loved was the incredible output, animation, character development, and bursting action. And the rebellious and bold story was a heartbroken triangle. It remained me distantly Spider-Verse movies.
They took the characters and elements of the graphic novel and made a new powerful story out of it! Beautiful, funny, and heartfelt. And the music was awesome!
Found this to be a drag almost right away. Relevant (if occasionally clumsy) allegory aside, the film's themes of otherness and being an outsider are handled in finger-drummingly rote fashion, and it doesn't help that we're meant to direct our sympathies to two surprisingly unappealing leads (a total wet-blanket and an exhaustingly chaotic foil). There are bits of fun to be had here and there, but it always loops back around to a tiresome storyline and characters with minimal rooting interest.
This was an *extremely* fun movie. The characters are excellent, the setting is something I've been fascinated by for a while now, and the way it plays with its LGBTQIA+ themes is sorely needed right now. A must-watch.

Submitted byjarobmuljarobmul on 26 Apr 2023