1997
Comedy, Drama
From one of the world's most acclaimed comic filmmakers comes an unexpected and unforgettable fable about the power of laughter to move the human heart and the power of the imagination to bolster the human spirit. (Miramax Films)
Directed by:
Languages:

1997
Comedy, Drama

Rated 01 Dec 2006
Funny, heartbreaking and tragic. Life is Beautiful solidifies that Fellini was right in calling Benigni a genius. He really hammers home the point that a child's innocence is worth protecting.
Rated 31 Jan 2009
Italy's answer to Pee Wee Herman gets sent to a concentration camp; it's about as funny as Anne Frank's diary.
Rated 17 Feb 2007
Certainly one of the touching films I ever see. If you do not understaind this film well you are quite cold and stupid man.
Rated 21 Jul 2023
Ernest Goes to Death Camp.
The Holocaust wasn't so bad, it was kind of like a summer camp. If only Jews were to take it with a grain of salt, have some fun during it. So the Germans weren't nice, so what? It's not like it was dehumanization and the systematic torture and massacre of millions or anything (besides, Jews had it coming to them for the crucifixion). This in essence is Benigni's underlying message in this movie. And the more scrutiny it is subjected to the more it astounds in its deliberation and forethought.
Rated 20 Oct 2007
My favorite genre... Holocaust comedies.
Rated 20 Mar 2010
No matter how cynically you choose to scrutinize this movie's execution (no pun intended), tone or even clown Benigni himself, there's no two ways around the fact that placing a comedy inside the holocaust is as brave an idea as it is brilliant.
The best depiction of the importance of imagination.
Rated 08 Apr 2008
So sad yet beautiful.
Rated 26 Jan 2009
One unbelievable scene scarred my life the day I first saw this movie.
Rated 10 Feb 2009
Is it possile to make a comedy out of concentration camps? Only Benigni's got the balls to do it. So, extra score for a fresh point of view.
Rated 04 Jan 2010
The title says it all actually. Very hard title which left me with some mixed feelings. Pain, anger, love, ... This is one of the most charming, yet most painfully direct movies I've ever seen. Really touched me.
Rated 25 Jan 2010
There's a reason why The Day The Clown Cried wasn't released.
Rated 06 Feb 2011
Definitely not the atrocity I envisioned. The film is really quite charming, often beautiful, and genuinely moving. The first hour is especially good, with some fine moments of humor. Benigni's a bit too delighted with himself, but he has some talent for comedy. Continuing the comedy into the second half it something that just shouldn't work, but he pulls it off. Admittedly, it's a fantasy version of a concentration camp, but if you accept the movie on its own terms, it has its rewards.
Rated 23 Feb 2013
With the charm and character of a light-hearted silent film and the melodrama of a holocaust story, the blending isn't always seamless and natural, but it does create a product of originality and sheer beauty.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Still moves me everytime I watch it.
Rated 16 Mar 2007
Very okay. I mean, just read the synopsis to the left, does that sound fucking cheesy or what? And that about sums it up. Pretty decent, surprisingly emotional, cheesy and hokey...yeah.
Rated 17 May 2007
Brought tears to my eyes. One of the most touching movies I've ever seen.
Rated 26 May 2007
Beauty in life even during the war.
Rated 01 Jul 2007
Roberto Benigni is a twat.
A Family-Drama at its finest, and in Italian. Cute love sequence, followed by an amazing, funny, and clever story of a father's attempt to convince his son that Life is Beautiful.
Touching story and a great film.
FANTASTIC! this is how war movies are made. America can never do that!
I didn't think I'd like this, and for the first half hour it was exactly the silly comedy I was afraid it would be. The gags were stupid and predictable and Benigni's mugging for the camera got on my nerves. It started to find a better balance as it went on, though, and kicked into gear in the second half. It was still silly, but in more subdued and thoughtful way. The comedy was used to counterbalance a more serious plot and it worked much better. By the end I was actually liking the film
Rated 21 Aug 2007
good, a jewish man tries to shield his son from the horrific realities of a nazi internment camp.
Rated 12 Sep 2007
This was a heart-warming, gut-wrenching film. It was joyous and sad at the same time. Roberto Benigni was at the top in this movie. I drove miles and brought both of my high-school age (at the time) daughters to see this film. A film like this is a once-in-a-lifetime event I think.
Rated 09 Nov 2007
Crying and laughing at the same time.
Rated 27 Jan 2008
Clever and moving, dramatic and comical depiction of life in WOII. LiKED: Roberto Begnini's acting, the combination of humour and drama. DiSLiKED: -
Rated 01 Feb 2008
The Holocaust was actually pretty fun!
Rated 09 Mar 2008
Splendorous script. A sensitive and quite humoured movie.
Rated 17 May 2008
up until the ending, this movie is immaculate, but that ending was a damned klunker, really with only the intent to tear jerk you rather than make it a better movie.
Rated 31 Jul 2008
good movie
Rated 10 Sep 2008
Bad score on principle.
Rated 07 Jan 2009
Only really good in original Italian. In English, you lose alot of the emotion and feeling behind the characters. If you understand Italian, or don't mind reading subtitles..I'd definitely suggest seeing that one!
Rated 08 Apr 2010
Weirdly maudlin and inappropriate tone considering the subject matter. An inferior take on "Day the Clown Cried".
Rated 06 Jun 2010
Whoa, this movie is deplorable. It's not as if it is completely impossible to tackle the Holocaust with humor (see: The Great Dictator, The Shop on Main Street) but here Benigni seems to think it's ok (and comedic!!) to lie to people to shield them from the horrors around them. Yes, I agree that ignorance is in fact bliss but I never thought someone would actually advocate this as something to strive for.
Rated 27 Jul 2010
The first part is an occasionally hilarious romantic comedy, typical of Benigni. The second part is a heartbreaking war film capable of eliciting profound despair. Blessed with an excellent score and remarkable performances and bravely dealing with racism, isolation, family, love, life and death, "Life Is Beautiful" isn't a film to miss.
Rated 07 Oct 2010
There's nothing subtle or subversive about this film. Rather than providing the audience an opportunity to process the horrors in front of them, this movie hurls everything before our eyes to wring out our sadness and empathy. What could have been a beautifully delicate story is instead an overwrought schmaltzfest with a terribly clunky ending. A movie should earn its tears, not manipulate them.
Rated 17 Jan 2011
Depressing, yet utterly beautiful
Rated 25 Feb 2011
The notion of a "feel-good Holocaust comedy" shouldn't work. But Benigni's stunning epic is not, at its core, a Holocaust movie, but rather a story of endurance of family love.
Rated 26 Mar 2011
One of the best mixtures of comedy and drama I have ever seen. It reminded me strongly of Charlie Chaplin - a larger than life character interacting in a very real world. And it doesn't get much more real (and horrific) than the setting of this film. Somehow Benigni is able to perform a perfect tight rope act between the horrors of the holocaust and his own great sense of humor. Funny, endearing and quite sad.
Rated 06 May 2011
Pinnochio gets shot in the end.
Rated 18 Jun 2011
... it most certainly is.
Rated 21 Jul 2011
Benigni's earnest charm, when not overstepping its bounds into the unnecessarily treacly, offers the possibility of hope in the face of unflinching.
Rated 10 Jan 2013
A reprehensible film that airbrushes up the Holocaust to make it palatable (thus trivialising it) and, probably unintentionally, presents ignorance as liberating. It doesn't help that Roberto Benigni is a very unfunny and annoying screen presence, and that Giorgio Cantarini is somehow even more annoying. Or that the writing and directing is uniformly pathetic: it's condescending, cloying, childish and exploitative. Capitalising on real life tragedy for the purposes of entertainment...
Rated 24 Jan 2014
Not as bad as I expected it to be, but still extremely misguided in its treatment of the Holocaust and its views towards tragedy. There is one scene in the film that I love, which is Benigni pretending to translate the German into Italian, but instead makes up a bunch of bullshit rules for his bullshit game.
Rated 24 Feb 2014
A bloated, 50 minute prologue that manages to tell its story worse than Up did in less than 10 minutes swerves into Disney's Schindler's List. I understand (and agree with) the necessity to preserve a child's innocence, but the idea that it was possible in the Holocaust is naive at best and horribly insulting at worst. Guido and his son would've gotten killed in like two seconds, but because the Nazis are basically the camp counselors in Heavyweights, we get a stupid, saccharine ending. Boooooo.
Rated 30 Nov 2014
the holocaust, according to roberto benigni: http://tinyurl.com/k8mgxpb
Rated 28 Dec 2014
Message on this movie is very clear : I'm dying for the Oscar and I'm gonna take it
Rated 04 May 2016
The first half of this movie is one of the funniest comedies you will ever see. The second half is a pretty good drama. The link between the two pieces is not quite clean, mostly being different stories with the same characters, but that is easy to forgive, especially after the true excellence of the first story.
Rated 19 Jun 2019
An incredibly beautiful picture. The first half is one of the greatest movie love stories of all time, and the second half is pure exquisite emotion. The story is fantastically original and Roberto Benigni deserves every accolade for his performance and direction. A magnificent film.
Rated 16 Sep 2019
Benigni's intentions are good, but at its foundation this "comedy" is incredibly wrong-headed, never able to reconcile the horrors of the second half with the sanitised child's games (and simplistic child's world) presented. For this to work, it would have needed to move much darker in the second half, or else switch entirely to "through the eyes of a child". As it is, it's a half baked compromise, emerging as naïve and facile. Well crafted production-wise, with some fine set and costume design
Rated 19 Jun 2023
Massive problem with suspension of disbelief here, particularly in the second half of the film, where actions and consequences were sporadic and often followed no rules and logic. The first half of the film was excellent, but it rapidly descended into huge levels of unbelievability, and albeit several intriguing scenes in the second half of the film, the broken causality of the film and the one-sided characters proved too big of a weight for me to enjoy this.
Rated 30 Nov 2006
Controversial film because of its comedic character set in a Nazi concentration camp. However I found the shocking scenes even more shocking as they might have been in a tragedy. Good film.
Rated 09 Feb 2007
null
Rated 09 Feb 2007
Well intentioned, but ultimately distasteful if you think about for more than two seconds.
Rated 11 Feb 2007
Life is Beautiful is a good film for what it's trying to be, but it felt really awkward at times when there's an attempt at comedy when the Holocaust and Jewish extermination is being portrayed.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Although well-executed, this film lacked the depth and breadth that the topic deserved. The script is to be faulted much more than the actors or film crew (who did their jobs well).
Rated 27 Feb 2007
The embodiment of bitter sweetness, this tragicomic look at the effect of the holocaust on Italy is endearing and heart-wrenching throughout, with a climax that'll have you sobbing like a little girl.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Though it's unrealistic, Life is Beautiful is an emotionally touching movie that everyone can relate to in some way.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Wow, film really had me tearing up. Probably the second most touching film of the 90's.
Rated 11 May 2007
Roberto Benigni is outstanding.
Rated 21 May 2007
A so so overly strange film that seems to lose the balance in gravity and humor and fails to hodl interest for very long.
Rated 29 May 2007
In typical Chaplin fashion - Benigni's hero - 'La vita è bella' admirably and carefully weaves together humor and pathos and serves as a powerful reminder of the lengths to which a loving parent is prepared to go in order to preserve his child's happiness.
Rated 23 Jun 2007
Benigni may seem a bit manipulative, but I have a hard time not weeping by the time the closing credits come around.
Rated 27 Jun 2007
Touching and funny.
Rated 25 Jul 2007
breathes life into the holocaust genre, and it is beautiful.
Rated 10 Aug 2007
Well done if tear jerking second half, but the love story-part should have been either shorter or better
A bit heavy handed, but I liked it because of the unique take it had on the holocaust. Very uplifting.
Perhaps a bit too sappy/happy-go-lucky topped with a crummy ending. Thankfully we were shown the contrast from the father's true feelings versus the image portrayed in front of his son. Lacks the full heart tugging potential achieved by other movies in the same genre.
The definition of heart-warming. If you can stand Benigni.
Heartbreaking
First and only film that fully captures the emotions of Italy in WW2 - Incredible performances, score, story and sum of all parts.
An excellent movie that has so many subtitles sometimes i felt i was reading a short story instead of watching a movie. Amazingly, this does does not dissuade me from recommending it.
Gosh, I find this movie distasteful.
Outstanding production and performance
In my top three. I cried almost the whole time, which is a big deal. Because I don't cry at movies.
movie is pretty damn good!
All italian movies are basically the same, but here is one that hits all the right notes.
There are parts of this movie that are deserving of the awards and nominations it received, thats why it has a decent score, but Roberto begnini is not one of those reasons and there are parts of this movie that are too manipulative and cynically exploitative.
Rated 01 Sep 2007
Overrated, overrated, overrated
Rated 16 Sep 2007
Sad and funny. Combined in an unique way.
Rated 26 Oct 2007
- excellent
Rated 16 Nov 2007
sad film, not really something i enjoyed.
Rated 13 Feb 2008
Overly maudlin and manipulative of the viewer.
Rated 24 Feb 2008
One of the strangest movies ever: it starts as a comedy and changes to a upsetting drama
Rated 25 Feb 2008
great, but need to be in the mood to watch
Rated 15 Mar 2008
camp comedy, ehnnn.
Rated 13 Apr 2008
One of the few films I got slept in the cinema
Rated 16 Apr 2008
I hate the guy!
Rated 17 May 2008
Charming and sad.
Rated 25 May 2008
Witty, entertaining, and ultimately rather touching. A really good movie that falls somewhat short of an outright masterpiece, but impressive for its meld of comedy and tragedy. The premise is unique and kind of strange take on the Holocaust and concentration camps, but it actually works out well for the movie.
Rated 22 Jun 2008
It's entertaining and tragic, hilarious and serious all at the same time with performances and characters that will stay with you forever.
Rated 30 Jun 2008
Abyect
Rated 04 Aug 2008
Arggh painful good
Rated 07 Aug 2008
Roberto Begnini deserves the Oscar he got for this.
Rated 13 Aug 2008