Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Once-Upon-a-Time-in-2003

Once Upon a Time in Mexico

2003
Crime, Action
A drug lord who pretends to overthrow the Mexican government. A corrupt CIA agent (Johnny Depp) who at that time, demands retribution from his worst enemy to carry out the drug lord's uprising against the government. (imdb)
Franchise: El Mariachi

At first I was a bit annoyed at how dumb it was and how kinda cheap it looked, but because of all the characters saying out loud what they were thinking and the makers' fervent desire to ensure we understand everything on screen as if we were simpleminded people, I started to imagine this as a few sequential episodes of an epic but corny Mexican soap series in its, I dunno, eighteenth season. After that, the viewing experience became pretty amazing.
An enormous fucking mess with a convoluted plot and an absurd number of characters, but if you let yourself get caught up in the orgy of gunplay and Mexploitation style, it's an entertaining mess. Johnny Depp quite clearly steals the show, creating an anti-hero that easily overshadows the protagonist.
Convoluted yet brilliant. Bad ass moment galore, seriously there is just that much bad ass in this film. Well filmed showdowns that make you want more and you constantly receive. Loved it from start to finish.
oozes rodriguez's signature style in the best way possible from start to finish. not as to-the-point action as desperado, but still tons and tons of fun. downside is that by the end of the movie i realized i'd be bounced around from character to character the whole time and wish i could have spent some more time with banderas, although depp certainly stole the show.
Very confusing and mostly boring. The action sequences are great, but too few and far between. Johnny Depp is great, as usual.

Last modified by:mjoc0723mjoc0723 on 27 Oct 2020