The victims of an encephalitis epidemic many years ago have been catatonic ever since, but now a new drug offers the prospect of reviving them.
Cast and Information
Directed By: Penny Marshall
Where to Stream
Awakenings belongs to 40 collections
1. Female Directors (collaborative: moderated by djross - 90 stars)
2. Academy Award - Oscar - Best Picture and Nominees (collaborative: moderated by smviper00 - 43 stars)
3. IMDb Top 250 Complete (collaborative: moderated by Jorg - 23 stars)
4. Academy Award - Oscar - ALL Best Picture, Directing, Acting & Screenplay Nominees (collaborative - 22 stars)
5. Films available in HD (collaborative: moderated by kubricksucks - 13 stars)
6. Mental hospital (collaborative: moderated by djross - 11 stars)
7. 1960s period film (collaborative: moderated by djross - 8 stars)
8. Best by different standards (public: sesito71 - 6 stars)
9. Top 3000 movies with the most votes on IMDb (public: fanfic - 5 stars)
10. Roger Ebert's 4-Star Movies (collaborative: moderated by KirkJiggler - 3 stars)
11. Illness (collaborative: moderated by djross - 2 stars)
12. psychiatric medication / drugs (collaborative: moderated by livelove - 2 stars)
13. Oscar: Best picture nominee - 1990-1999 (public: Ross - 2 stars)
14. Top 2000 movies with the most votes on IMDb (public: fanfic - 2 stars)
15. Hospital (collaborative: moderated by djross - 1 star)
16. Randy Newman (composer) (collaborative: moderated by djross - 1 star)
17. Real Life Scientists (collaborative: moderated by Roman_Herbom - 1 star)
18. Netflix instant LATAM (collaborative: moderated by Roman_Herbom - 1 star)
19. Netflix Sverige (collaborative: moderated by Jakobostgren - 1 star)
20. HarleyG's Movie of the Year (public: HarleyG - 1 star)
21. Roger Ebert's Top 10 Films of 1990 (collaborative)
22. Metacritic - Generally Favorable Reviews (collaborative: moderated by sengir)
23. Mind blowing collection (collaborative: moderated by hakkanarejo)
24. Next Up (collaborative: moderated by davidysteph)
25. Ratings (collaborative: moderated by cheapthrills)
26. Topic: medical drama (collaborative: moderated by tipar)
27. Recomendações AP (collaborative: moderated by pmpfe)
28. Filmes AP (collaborative: moderated by pmpfe)
29. Films about Doctors (collaborative: moderated by nauru)
30. Andy Owns (collaborative: moderated by andycarhart)
31. Luna6ix's DVDs (public: Luna6ix)
32. Films I didn't Finish (public: TV+Film-Hub)
33. Filmspotting Ratings Project: Week 9 (public: PeaceAnarchy)
34. 1990: Year in Review (public: polanski28)
35. Movies to See: Drama (public: Lord Moe)
36. 90lar (public: Ozancan)
37. Films I saw in the cinema (public: Malcym)
38. My Movie Collection (public: elhenzo)
39. My ratings (public: tpbradbury)
40. January (public: davidysteph)
Browse the full list of collections
Sappy, but De Niro did a fantastic job. Pretty average film.
An excellent and underrated emotional drama with two excellent performances from De Niro and Williams, De Niro really should have had no trouble being awarded something for his role. Based upon true events, Awakenings is attention grabbing and paints a very moving picture of the emotional trauma of what is effectively a re-birth, only to have it taken away again. It might not be entirely to all tastes and doesn't make easy viewing, but it's no doubt a fantastic film full of symbolic meanings.
De Niro and Williams are excellent in this movie. Sadly the rest of the movie, while good, doesn't match the quality of their performances. Definately not your summer blockbuster action film, but quite enjoyable.
Newman's score is very good, and whenever things threaten to become to hard to watch or too awkward, Zaillan tempers his well-composed screenplay with a joke or a sweet moment. As for the acting, it was probably De Niro's 'My Left Foot'-ish efforts that landed him an Oscar nomination, but what's most impressive about his performance is when he convinces us that he is, in many ways, a boy in a man's body. And I actually enjoyed Williams' and restrained performance as the warm-hearted doctor more.
Strong performances by Deniro and Williams make this a hit that stands the test of time. A great story with a thought-provoking edge to it.
DeNiro is amazing in this.
Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro both do a great job in this movie. The film itself is very thought provoking and a great study in medical psychology.
This movie brought tears to my eyes.
Good, but really too depressing to want to watch again.
A sad and emotional Movie that goes under the skin.Great performance by De Niro & Williams.
Nice performances by De Niro and Williams indeed but still I just feel that the treatment should be something more then random amounts of random medicines. For a movie that is based on treating patients of a certain disease, the tecniques used was kinda lame.
|Average Percentile 61.3% from 2851 Ratings|