The Cell

The Cell

2000
Sci-fi

Rated 20 Mar 2007
The script doesn't quite match the visual audacity here, but man, those visuals...
Rated 20 Sep 2014
After witnessing the cinematic orgasm of silk pleats, velveteen trains, sateen onesies, and peacock-pinioned Tudor collars that this movie throws at you like a 3rd grader playing dodgeball with a bunch of fat kids wearing glasses, I now know that at least one person who went to fashion college has (had) a job.
Rated 22 Jun 2010
The mentally ill sibling of Blade Runner if you will. It's style over story, but what style indeed! If the plot is average (and it is), Singh's conceptualisation of a schizophrenics mind is absolutely mesmerizing, and just like with Ridley Scott's masterpiece, there's so much to see, although non of it can be said to be a particularly comfortable watch.
A visually stunning film with great performances by Vincent D'Onofrio and Vince Vaughn. Sadly Jennifer Lopez was cast in the main role which I felt dragged the movie down from being good to only being decent.
Rated 16 Mar 2008
This reality-bending mind-fuck of a movie doesn't choose style over substance -- in The Cell, style is the substance. Visually, it's absolutely stunning. D'Onofrio is excellent, and for all the script's cliches, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a tense thrill-ride. Howard Shore's warped score only adds to the tension, and the Se7en influence is thick (though, believe it or not, this one might actually be more graphically disturbing). It's far-fetched, but enjoyable.
Rated 26 May 2008
Some beautifully composed images, but they all look like an album cover for Queensryche. The whole thing just reeks of gothiness, as if someone had been reading way too much Clive Barker. There's not much originality, either. The acting is abominable all around. Not that they had much to work with -- this is one of the worst scripts I've heard in a long time. There were several laugh-out-loud moments, but trust me, they weren't meant to be. Points for the dazzling visuals, but otherwise a dud.
Rated 10 Mar 2013
My favorite part is when they cut Julia Roberts in half.
I'm surprised I liked this but it's different enough to a recommendation from me.
Rated 09 Jul 2007
It's like Singh had a bunch of really cool-looking images in mind but didn't quite know how to build a good story around them. Worthless.
Rated 07 May 2009
This movie has an interesting concept. The mental trips are cool and visually beautiful. The rest is not so well executed. But Jennifer Lopez is already difficult to put up with singing, acting is still worse.
Rated 14 Jul 2015
Visually stunning, moderately entertaining, and a good performance from Vincent D'Onofrio. I'm not sold on either Vince Vaughn or Jennifer Lopez, and it's a lot of dressing up for very little purpose, but it's pretty fun, and the visuals alone make it worth seeing.
Rated 09 Feb 2008
It's hard to rate a film like this because a lot of what it offers is very impressive and often times enjoyable. Several of the trips into the "mind world" were very creepy, very cool, and flawlessly done. However, others were mediocre, and the entire plot outside of the "mind world" is stupid as hell. Too bad, because this film had a great deal of potential. If you're willing to ignore some horrible writing, there's a lot of amazing cinematography and imagery worth checking out.
Rated 13 Nov 2008
Can it be more weird ? This must be one of the most weird movies I've ever seen, unbelievable !
Rated 26 Mar 2018
J Lo faces off against aquarium Jeffrey Dahmer in the not-Matrix, while Vince Vaughn travels back in time from season 2 of True Detective to suck just as hard as a cop.
Rated 24 Sep 2010
Visually captivating but emotionally deprived. I didn't really care about anyone in this.
Jlo can't get out of a rapist's mind. She screams and begs and runs and stuff, BUT the sets and costumes are eye-candy to the minimum detail and that's what is worth about it, so watch it in mute if you can't stand her.
Even if I suspend disbelief, this is essentially a movie about the disocvery of technology that allows people to manifest themselves in the subconscious of others. Come on now. Vincent D'Onofrio comes off creepy as Hell, though.
For the visuals alone. Shit was fucked up.
Rated 25 Aug 2007
Beautiful cinematography, but a bad film overall.
Rated 11 Jun 2009
The Cell offers disturbing, stunning eye candy, but it is undermined by a weak and shallow plotline that offers nothing new.
Rated 27 Dec 2006
ballsy. This movie was demented, in a good way. The technology was a bit unbelievable, but why not imagine what it might be like to walk around inside the mind of a psychopath?
Felt like I was trapped in a cell watching this crap.
This is some seriously trippy shit! The next time I do acid, I'll be watching this
Rated 01 Feb 2009
Tarsem is a master stylist, and D'Onofrio is super creepy as his demonic serial killer character into whose mind J-Lo must go.
Some beautiful scenes, and Vincent D'Onofrio is amazing as usual, but it's far too self-indulgent to warrant a better rating.
Rated 12 Jan 2016
A pretty dumb film with shitty acting, boring story and unimpressive imagery; only a few shots weren't bad. I hate Vaughn, he's terrible, and Lopez is uninspiring. The villain was creepy though, which is probably the most positive thing in this movie.
Rated 09 Sep 2009
Oh wow, 27 PSI. Just like with The Fall, I cannot understand how anyone can come from Tarsem's films without at least the sense that hey, that was probably the most visually unique and stunning film I've seen in years. I certainly like The Fall more, if only because the acting in this is god-awful (and not only by Ms. Lopez), the music here is less memorable and the story less epic. Still, I've only seen serial killer done better than this in The Silence of the Lambs and Se7en. 27? Really? No.
Rated 29 Aug 2008
While on the whole it is less bold than its visual style, the film retains something that is wholly compelling. The imagery is not like anything you would expect in a film staring Lopez, and to be fair she hardly brings the film down. The director knows Lopez's limitations and creates a narrative that does not superflously focus on her. Think of this as a lesser Eyes Wide Shut. Aesthetically, it is really damn amazing.
Excellent CG, but dumb.
Rubish.
Rated 27 Aug 2012
This would otherwise be fairly standard thriller, but the great visuals make this pretty worthwhile.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
This wishes it was really crazy and genre-busting and making some really profound point about the human psyche but it's not. It's just crap.
Rated 06 Mar 2013
WHoa
Rated 07 Jun 2008
very strange movie, JLopez is probably on one level with Sandra Bullock ... if you know what i mean
Just not my kind of movie.
Rated 13 Dec 2018
I enjoy The Cell a lot. It isn't as deep as Seven but it is much more visually stunning than most suspense movies out there. The beauty of this movie is what always draws me into watching it when I see that it is on. D'Onofrio's acting is stellar. He is more muted than other movies he has appeared in but he still steals the show. Vaughn does a good job at this serious role. As I watched this movie this time, I noticed that the scene where Lopez is smoking a joint is so cool and sexy.
Rated 02 Sep 2009
Story wasn't the greatest, acting was okay, but the imagery was incredible and I basically chilled out for 2 hours with nothing but that. Also, this is viewed best when you're high.
Rated 31 Oct 2021
As if THE MATRIX were directed by Peter Greenaway and somehow got spliced with SILENCE OF THE LAMBS: Lopez pulling a literal MANHUNTER to put herself in the shoes of a serial killer becomes a thrilling, dizzying sensory experience in Singh's hands, turning even the potentially dull and conventional elements into something special; if some aspects of the plot don't quite hold (especially Vaughn's actions in the mid-section), the challenging and creative sensory overload certainly compensates.
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Ultra weird thriller, that goes in a whole other direction than at least I have seen before.
I really liked this movie but it made me worry that maybe I was a psychopath because I have dreams just like the crazy guy in this movie does.
Rated 25 Mar 2009
Beautiful, and D'Onofrio is convincing as the serial killer, but the mind sequences range from effective to laughable to just off-putting.
Rated 29 Dec 2009
Crazy ass fucking movie. Watch it.
Rated 09 Mar 2010
Lots of eye candy, very little anything else.
Rated 17 May 2008
Visually this was interesting, but that's it.
Rated 06 Jan 2008
In trying to be a very original and visually stunning film, The Cell comes off as trying too hard at having independent flare. Some of it is warped and intense and kind of beautiful, but most of it is unnecessarily weird and detracts from the plot. Ugh!
Rated 18 May 2007
So, so, so, so bad. Say "no" to J. Lo.
Rated 24 May 2024
The script is nothing special, but the directing, photography, and acting was surprisingly good. The costumes were remarkable and some of the dream moments really felt authentic.
Rated 11 Jul 2007
Kinda crazy.
Rated 09 Sep 2008
It's been a while I saw this movie, but I remember though the story is not one of the best, the dream world was extremely successful and challenging. Especially I liked the monster character. Jennifer of course was the weakest link of the movie.
Rated 19 Nov 2011
This movie is excellent. It looks good and keeps you interested with great characters.
Rated 24 Apr 2018
1 part Silence of the Lambs, 9 parts Lawnmower Man.
Much like the cheerleader you knew in high school, this movie is pretty, but dumb.
Rated 29 Jan 2010
An interesting idea that was executed poorly.
Rated 25 Jan 2015
Frustratingly dumb and sorta naff but does contain some cool or effective imaginary here and there.
Rated 11 Oct 2010
Stunning visuals, braindead writing.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Enter the mind of the psychopath. Fantasy and reality blend in a visually stunning spectacle.
Rated 01 May 2011
#00s(e)#, story, Jennifer L
Rated 30 Jun 2007
Gorgeous visuals, but not very well executed.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Visually ambitious but ultimately uneffective.
Rated 03 Aug 2020
Remember watching this when it first came out and it was so different than anything else. The visuals are sometimes very beautiful for a rather dark story being told. D'Onofrio nails his role. I own it and think I've only watched it once since than, likely will lower my score if watched again, but I really enjoy Singh's few movies (he really should make more).
Rated 05 Apr 2010
great visuals
Rated 25 Dec 2012
The concept is awesome, Tarsem Singh can paint incredible landscapes, but in the end it's crap.
Rated 20 Jun 2008
Revolutionary effects can't help a thin story and the presence of J Lo.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Very good special effects. Interesting plot, though not as deep as the subject matter it's trying to portray.
Rated 13 Jun 2012
Singh really brings out the bizarre in this one. OK story, visually it looks great but is a little more experimental with some of the effects/shots than necessary. Vince Vaughn needs to stick to being a funny man.
Rated 29 Aug 2011
film rezalet kanımca. yalnız görüntü yönetmenliği o kadar iyiyki bi şekilde bu puanı vermek zorunda kaldım. özellikle bilinçaltına girdiğinde tahttan kalktığı sahne...
Rated 16 Feb 2008
great visually. Don't like J-lo.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Wonderful visuals, and reasonably unsettling, I didn't hate it as much as others did.
Rated 20 Sep 2008
I watched this the first time at the same time I watched the Bone Collector. What made this an 78 was the visual aspect of the film. As a film about a serial killer, it was a flop. Having worked in Forenisc Psych perhaps I have a more rigid idea of what makes a serial killer or a mass murder [not the same thing btw] which most films miss as did this one. The Bone Collector was more satisfying on the 'real' scale. Otherwise this film would be a 45
Rated 11 Jun 2009
Fantastic visualy, well directed but acting flat.
Rated 05 Dec 2010
Off putting to look at yet there is some great imagery. Highly average script and I'd like to see what the director has done else where with different source material.
Weird, wild stuff - visually triumphant, but the story is quite ho hum.
Cool special effects. The dream/into the mind sequences are incredible.
Rated 15 Nov 2021
Possibly I'm more tolerant than most of this filmmaker's undeniable tendency to cross the line into kitsch: at least he's determined to constantly give the viewer something to look at, and to try to make his star look as beautiful as she can possibly be. Unfortunately, the INCEPTION-type premise is supported by a weak screenplay: the decision to focus on an oneiric procession of images may have been the right one, but the serial killer framing no doubt meant audiences expected more thrills.
This movie just about survives on its visuals alone. This really is a fantastic visual journey. The story doesn't quite live up to the weight of Tarsem Singh's vision, but it's still a unique film.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
Deliriously daft thriller that uses its minimal narrative as an excuse for over-indulgence in digital imagery that ransacks the farthest reaches of psychedelia before subsiding into banality; it is ideal viewing for those with short attention spans.
Rated 18 Aug 2014
The Cell is a prime example of style over substance. Lavish costumes and set pieces are paired with mumbled dialogue and lacklustre performances (baring D'Onofrio, who is barely recognisable), making the film interminably dull. Essentially the film is a dressed up version of a typical episode a of procedural show with a mild sci-fi premise. It doesn't take the concept anywhere interesting (expect visually) and is worse of for it. {Review on rewatch 3/6/20 - no change in rating.}
Rated 01 Sep 2010
It's a workable idea, which despite being not an overly fresh one tries to overcome this by introducing some impressively structured visual scenes. However, its main downfall is that it tries too hard a lot of the time when that time might have been better spent revising the mediocre script.
Rated 23 Aug 2007
ok
Rated 15 Aug 2007
Tina Turner can do the actress/singer thing. Jenny from the Block can't. A great premise to this film, poorly executed, but interesting enough to keep it afloat.
Rated 21 Nov 2021
Good concept, beautiful visuals, ok acting, but collapsed like halfbaked cake at the end. Ending doughy & premature, like they ran out of time & budget to wrap up plot threads. Raised more questions than it could answer, which would be fine if the sequel addressed them. Casting was a little weird, but the only choice I really minded was Edward. Were we supposed to sympathize? He was horrific. Was the ending was happy or sad - left feeling confused & apathetic. Vague religious undertones?
Rated 18 Nov 2008
Even with the automatic 20 point deduction for casting J-Lo, the film was quite freaky.
Rated 18 Nov 2014
Misunderstandings. So many misunderstandings.
Rated 27 Dec 2008
Stunning visuals and environments. Tarsem also directed "The Fall", which is a much stronger movie (as well as directing the "Losing My Religion" video. See both!
Rated 27 Jun 2012
Amazing costumes and surreal imagery, but that's all its got.
Rated 08 Dec 2007
Saw meets the Matrix. Also, they should have just broken the fucking plexiglass.
Rated 16 Jan 2010
Some cool visuals but still not much of substance here.
Rated 26 May 2007
Great visuals.
Rated 08 Apr 2008
If you can forgive the thin "we can enter your dreams" premise, the movie actually has a lot to offer. The three leads (Vaughn, Lopez, and D'Onofrio) deliver strong performances, and the updated Silence-of-the-Lambs-esque serial killer narrative is surprisingly original. And none of that is even mentioning the direction and aesthetic of this movie, which were absolutely striking.
Great movie buttfucked by Jennifer Lopez' inability to act.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
One of Jennifer's good films, this ordinary movie gets a high rating from the original story and the LUSH cinematography.
Rated 10 Jun 2012
Often convoluted and nonsensical, but the visuals and uniqueness make it watchable at least one time.
Rated 11 May 2009
The film really just is badly put-together. The first thirty minutes should probably have been explained in five minutes of backstory, to give us more time for the ultra-creepy (and the only fun part of the movie) mind delves.
Rated 23 Sep 2008
I liked it.
Rated 04 Oct 2008
Ebert lost himself in a flurry of hype that he himself created! I'm not sure how he rates this sensationalized music video that throws everything in the movie toolbox at the screen to see if it sticks. Well, it doesn't stick well in the mind of this viewer. I can barely remember half the garbage of this "coolness" fest, but I can say, safely, that merely being a visually minded guy (read music video maker) does not make you a director!
Rated 08 Mar 2020
Rated 04 Aug 2010
A poor man's silence of the lambs meets freddy kreuger. There are some legitimately good parts, though.
Rated 26 Jan 2009
Lopez can act. But this is also a very good movie. Great idea taking a dive into the mind of a serial murderer!
Rated 27 Feb 2008
ger; mithilfe einer maschine werden die träume eines psychopaten durchsucht, um so ein opfer zu retten
Rated 21 Sep 2008
allright, but with really creepy pictures in the psychopaths mind.