2000
The owners (and handlers) of five show dogs head for the Mayflower Kennel Club Dog Show. A film crew interviews them as they prepare for the trip, arrive at Philly's Taft Hotel, and compete. From Florida come the Flecks: she keeps running into old lovers. A wordless ancient in a wheelchair and his buxom trophy wife who may have a thing for the dog's handler own the two-time defending best in show, a poodle... (imdb)

2000

Rated 12 Feb 2020
There's something called the Puppy Bowl that I discovered over a decade ago. It was a giant play pen dressed up as a football field and then they put puppies in it. I could watch that for hours. Every year I would recommend it to everyone. As its popularity grew, they began adding to it. Kitty halftime show. Hamster blimp. Goat cheerleaders. More and more not the thing that makes it great. This year's was unwatchable. Anyways, this movie gives me what I want, even if I didn't know I wanted it.
If you enjoy any of Christopher Guest's other movies, you'll love this one. I never thought I'd laugh so hard at a movie about a dog show. The cast performs amazingly, as always.
Rated 13 Apr 2009
Hilarious movie that is the perfect example of just observing humanity and turning it into something brilliant. Larry Miller, Parker Posey and Fred Willard are all particularly impressive.
A pathetic attempt to squeeze laughs out of flat, drab stereotypes. More like Worst in Show.
Rated 23 Jun 2010
7 Kimonos, 48 hours.
null
Rated 17 Jun 2009
ANNOYING!!
Rated 19 May 2016
It's lost a certain fringe novelty that it had for about five years before television decided to beat this type of awkward comedy to death, but the whole cast is still pitch-perfect. Fred Willard is gold, clearly winging it with zero lines in front of him.
Rated 03 Dec 2006
Enjoyable, like all of these movies, but as always, it ends up being just short of what you really want from a movie.
Hilarious. The dialouge and performances are great.
Rated 21 Jul 2014
Christopher Guest is a talented comedic actor, but is unmotivated as a filmmaker. 'Best in Show' is a fairly unavailing project that I'd liken to a collection of deleted scenes.
Rated 07 Nov 2020
A great cast performing an array of fun, diverse characters. Fred Willard and Larry Miller got the biggest laughs out of me. This film made me realize I hate real-life dog shows.
Rated 07 Nov 2022
Hubert was the star what happened to him?
Rated 09 May 2017
Maybe the most I've laughed at a movie. Every joke seems to work and there are a lot of them.
Rated 04 Dec 2006
I just could not get into this. The first half was excruciating. The second half was what I wanted the whole movie to be; accordingly, I give this movie half of the 78 it could have gotten.
Rated 11 May 2009
Funny. Yet, as with most of Guest's mockumentaries, I'm uncomfortable with the way that he so often leaves his characters out to dry.
Rated 18 Sep 2008
Hilarious comedy from Guest that just gets funnier the more I play with my dog (who even has her own Busy Bee). It's the usual thing from this ensemble cast, so if you liked them before, you'll love this. Willard and O'Hara get the biggest laughs from me, but Higgins and Coolidge aren't too far behind. Terrific improv, and the DVD is loaded with funny deleted scenes. It was filmed in the PNE Coliseum in Vancouver, so that adds another level to it for me as well. Some great stuff here.
Rated 19 Nov 2011
This is the kind of comedy that doesn't really go for big laughs, but instead you generally have to just detach yourself from it and look at the absurdity of the situation and characters in general.
Excellent movie. The entire cast does such a good job with all their characters. Rent or buy the DVD and make sure to watch the deleted scenes as well as the movie (of course).
Rated 06 Jan 2015
Holds up really well. Still hilarious. Made me feel like revisiting 'This is Spinal Tap'.
Rated 17 Mar 2008
Unsurprisingly, this is a lot like Waiting for Guffman. I thought the comedy was played a bit too broad in this one, and that the characterizations suffered as a result. Guest's own character Harlan Pepper was the only character that rang true the way the majority of the characters in Waiting for Guffman did, and even he was undercut somewhat in his silly segment in the "where are they now" epilogue. All the same, this is charming and quite funny, but it feels too exploitative.
Rated 15 Oct 2007
Couldn't stand this movie. Didn't even finish it. I love dogs, though.
Rated 09 Jul 2007
Maybe the best in Guest's oeuvre. Definitely a good date movie: if she doesn't laugh then I know it was never meant to be.
Rated 18 Mar 2010
If I want to see Awkward humor I'll go stand at a service desk at Wal-Mart.
Rated 07 Nov 2022
Cute dogs.
Rated 05 Aug 2008
The best mockumentary since This Is Spinal Tap.
Rated 14 Dec 2009
Quirky but funny. I can't believe most of the show was unscripted. (Right?)
Rated 18 Oct 2007
very funny
Rated 17 May 2011
Though not as good as Waiting for Guffman, the movie's lively cast and hilarious script have the critics laughing. Fred Willard, in particular, steals the show.
Rated 02 Jul 2009
Hilarious, with a great script and good performances.
Rated 28 Mar 2021
Best in Show is occasionally funny, it's the same sort of silly improv humor from the people who made Spinal Tap.
Rated 12 May 2008
*__*
Rated 17 Oct 2007
The flagship mockumentary. Hilarious, and stays that way upon repeat viewings.
Rated 11 Feb 2008
Christopher Guest seems to do the same movie over and over again.
Rated 08 Jun 2013
Having already seen another film by the same director, Waiting for Guffman (1996), this film was pretty much what I expected. And that's not a bad thing. I don't LOVE the style of humour, but I like it. It's full of great, wacky characters who are played by a bunch of really good character actors. Yeah, it was fun.
Rated 22 Jul 2012
Absolutely hilarious -- I'm a sucker for mockumentaries and this one was fantastic! All the characters are hilarious and sweet, it was difficult to find just one to root for.
Rated 28 May 2013
Not quite the classic I remember it being, but it's still great. A 100%-accurate portrayal of dog people.
Rated 16 Sep 2023
Parker Posey once again steals the show.
Rated 09 Mar 2007
Guest and Willard are the only funny ones, as usual.
Rated 18 Nov 2009
The comedy in this movie is effective because it builds up slow, developing the characters until even a little thing like a character's gait can be played for laughs with hilarious effect.
A classic.
Rated 06 Jun 2021
Any Christopher Guest movie is a delight and Best in Show is no different. The comedy is poignant and droll. The caricatures fit perfectly with the theme of this movie. Every single performance is a stand-out in this movie. I was cracking up at Fred Willard's cringy commentary throughout the dog show. The bits with Catherine O'Hara kept getting funnier as the film continued. This is also one of those movies that is perfect for multiple viewings because there is always something to catch.
Wins my best in show any day!
Rated 12 Nov 2007
Hilarious. Parker Posey is fantastic, of course. Loved it!
Rated 21 Jan 2023
Overrated, forced, and ham-fisted. But there are a few great laughs nonetheless.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
So. Freaking. Funny. I love this comedy team.
Rated 27 Apr 2010
At times hilarious, Fred Willard is a beast.
Rated 04 Jan 2011
Probably the funniest of the Christopher Guest movies, with too many brilliant performances to count, though Lynch, Willard, Miller, O'Hara, and Posey stand out. What's done to the characters can be disturbingly mean-spirited, but you have to expect that from a Guest film, and until the epilogue (which is just plain sadistic in some cases) I have to say it all rings true. Props to that poor Weimeraner for putting up with such awful (if hilarious) emotional abuse from 'mommy and daddy.'
Rated 30 Dec 2022
Awfully dry with that horrid kind of colloquial improvisational humour, and given the subject matter, this comedy unfortunately has little jokes/gags to do with dogs and only involve the unlikable characters. Gets funnier as it goes on, mostly thanks to Fred Willard.
Rated 20 Nov 2010
Should have had the characters mesh a bit more. They really sold themselves short there.
Rated 06 May 2011
Some wonderfully bizarre moments that are just homeruns.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
Fucking brilliant.
Rated 21 Aug 2009
Fred Willard is the shit.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
Guffman is still my favorite, but this one is pretty good.
Rated 15 Apr 2021
surprisingly recognizable cast
Rated 15 Oct 2008
A good and strange movie.
Rated 31 Dec 2011
None of the human characters is sympathetic, nor do they ever change or learn anything. Yes, I know that's the point, but in my case, it's not an entertaining point. There's an occasional strong gag, but far more often there's a five-minute scene that seems to *intend* humor but just comes off as videotaping one of the unpleasant things that happens when you hang out with unpleasant people. The cute dogs and Jim Piddock can't quite keep this from falling into the red zone.
Rated 24 Jan 2008
Awkward dry comedy, if thats not your thing best to stay away. for the rest of us this film is gold.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
A hilarious mockumentary along the lines of Spinal Tap. Follows a dog show with a strange sense of dry humor, but those willing to sit and think about it will be rewarded with a good film.
Rated 05 Dec 2011
This is a great comedy. Definitely one of my favorites
Rated 06 Jul 2010
"You OBVIOUSLY don't know my dog."
Rated 18 Apr 2009
Harlan Pepper is hysterical. Guest is a comedy icon.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
Funny movie but not overly impressive or witty like it tries to be.
Rated 28 Jan 2010
An hilarious comedy about dogs and the people who love them.
Rated 21 Apr 2018
I could listen to Fred Willard improvise forever
Rated 29 Apr 2016
W3E2P2S1V1M1A2R1.
Rated 03 Jan 2019
A dry, character-driven comedy in the style of Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind. Barely funny.
Rated 25 Dec 2012
Very underrated.
Rated 24 May 2020
Another Guest masterpiece!
Rated 04 Apr 2010
A truly timeless comedy.
Rated 03 Feb 2009
I was sad that the song "Who Let the Dogs Out?" wasn't in the movie. All movies with dogs should have that song even if they can only afford a MIDI version of it. Led Zepplin wished they wrote that song.
Rated 02 Aug 2007
This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Just see it
Rated 02 Mar 2009
Not laugh out loud funny, but it has enough laughs in it to merit a recommendeation.
Rated 28 Mar 2023
It’s a wonderful cast and a premise that usually delivers well, but it does drag in places. Luckily, the final act sees the inclusion of Willard to the ensemble, who is there to just derail all sense of ceremony with each word and slowly send his co-host into madness, and that’s a riot.
Rated 16 Jun 2012
Funny
A dog show. What a silly thing to make a movie about. It works though. Smart and self-effacing, it's a real comedy gem.
Rated 04 Jun 2007
Totally painfully utterly not funny
Rated 06 Feb 2009
I love every mockumentary this troupe does. They always put out some perfectly awkward people who could be real people. If I hadn't known these actors and you had told me it was a real Documentary, hell I'd believe it. This is how I think some real dog show people are.
Rated 24 Oct 2022
This movie is almost entirely improvised and it’s still excellent- this is the Guest-iverse maybe at its peak
Rated 26 Mar 2007
One of my favorite comedies. Quite possibly the best on-screen chemistry I've seen.
Rated 08 Mar 2012
Everything a mockumentary should be. Hilarious characters, improvisation to make it seem more natural, and a subject matter that feels realistic despite the absurdness of everything. Parker Posey and husband's story about meeting at Starbucks is comic gold.
Rated 18 Nov 2008
Quite accurate.
Look, either you like Guest's films, or you really, really don't. I like 'em. For my money, Waiting For Guffman's a better film, but then, I like theatre better than dogs. It's funny, it's clever, if a little too ... too.
Funny! Funny! This movie is pretty good.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Brilliantly awkward.
Rated 28 Dec 2011
Not as funny as Spinal Tap, but pretty close to Waiting For Guffman. Fred Willard, as usual, steals the fucking show.
Rated 26 May 2007
Hilarious.
Rated 26 Sep 2011
Gets funnier every time I watch it.
Rated 20 Aug 2007
Very funny, great characters.
Rated 15 Nov 2008
Okay, this is the funniest mock documentary I have ever seen!
Rated 14 Jul 2022
Fred Willard. That's the review.
Rated 17 Nov 2007
pretty funny, but not rip-roaring hilarious.
Rated 16 Jul 2012
Don't take this negative review too seriously, Mocumentaries just aren't my bag.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
It was OK.
Rated 11 Jan 2022
Not a single laugh.
Rated 26 Jan 2007
A clever comedy that's pretty funny overall.
Rated 21 Nov 2016
great mockumentary
This has much to recommend it, especially the performances and to think they're mostly improvised only makes this film so much better... spinal tap for dogs
Rated 22 Dec 2007
funny.
It doesn't hit as consistently as Spinal Tap -- some of it is a bit too broad (especially the Eugene Levy/Catherine O'Hara stuff) and some of it could stand to be a bit broader -- but when it does hit, it's hilarious. While the entire cast is talented, "best in show" here belongs to Fred Willard, without a doubt. Everything out of his mouth is golden. "He went after her like she was made out of ham!"