Bloodsport
Amazon VideoApple TVAMC+ Amazon ChannelShowtime Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVudu
Microsoft Store
Pluto TV
AMC+
AMC+ Roku Premium Channel

1988
Drama, Action
Frank Dux has spent most his life being trained by Tanaka to participate in the Kumite, the ultimate martial arts tournament... (imdb)
Microsoft Store
Pluto TV
AMC+
AMC+ Roku Premium Channel

"Have you made a choice, sir? Perhaps this finely aged Ozu, or a Herzog? We still have those Fellinis set aside for you". I cough awkwardly. "Not today Pierre, I'll be having a Beefcake Special with extra cheese, please." The waiter fails to hide his disappointment and returns moments later with Bloodsport. I consume it with glee, smacking loudly as I giggle through all the tropes and bad lines. "Ohh man, you should try this flashback-during-the-final-battle. So good!"
Irrefutable proof that Forest Whitaker got his trademark droopy right eye after being punched (splits-style) in the gonads by JCVD. And for those of you who don't believe that, I have ten words for you: kumite kumite kumite kumite kumite kumite kumite kumite kumite kumite.
Laughably bad acting to the point where I thought childhood Frank Dux during the flashback was mentally disabled. The music is passable which, to be fair, is pretty good considering it's from the 80's. The fight scenes are severely dated at this point and are jam-packed with awkward slo-mo. Include a really odd "I love you man," then a kiss, between two guys for good measure and you've got a movie that's entertaining. Not good but entertaining.
As the first notable Van Damme movie, and the one that brought him to stardom (if you can really consider him a super star) it's not particularly special. Among children of the 70's and 80's "Bloodsport" is required viewing, but when compared with modern day contemporaries, it's sorely lacking.
The cruelest thing in this was pitting Forest Whitaker and a 65 year-old man in a chase scene against Mr. Leg Day himself. Just brutal. Honestly the soundtrack is pretty catchy and the trippy scenes going through the narrow alleys of Hong Kong effectively shroud the secret torch-lit arena in, well, secrecy. Overall it needed more rosy-cheeked JCVD glamour shots and Bolo Yeung pec flexes.

Submitted byfudgiebfudgieb on 26 Mar 2006