1980
Biography
When Jake LaMotta steps into a boxing ring and obliterates his opponent, he's a prizefighter portrayed in this Martin Scorsese film by Robert De Niro. But when he treats his family and friends the same way, he's a ticking time bomb, ready to go off at any moment. Though LaMotta wants his family's love, something always seems to come between them. Perhaps it's his violent bouts of paranoia and jealousy. This kind of rage helped make him a champ, but in real life, he winds up in the ring alone... (imdb)

1980
Biography

My favorite Scorsese picture. It manages an excellent balance between gritty realism and profound elegance. The black and white photography is stunning, and the fight scenes are among the most exciting and beautiful sequences I've ever seen. Furthermore, LaMotta is Scorsese's and DeNiro's most beautifully realized character: brutal, paranoid, often quite awful, yet tragic and all too human. I also really like Pesci as the flawed yet sympathetic brother.
Rated 07 Mar 2007
Cinema's most poetic portrayal of man as self-mythologizing beast, a virtuoso blend of docu-realistic drama and heightened expressionism. Raging Bull is nostalgic, but it's the nostalgia of a deeply flawed man, full of loathing and self-hatred, for whom the past is as much full of regret as the future is of uncertainty, with only the pain he gives, and suffers, in the ring to remind him he's alive in the present.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
A great, great movie with strong catholic undertones. LaMotta is the embodiment of all seven sins and there is no one to stand in his way or say no to him. He therefore has rare moments whereof he achieves redemption through masochistic self-torment. Raging Bull is perfectly paced and portioned despite its long running time, owing nearly as much to Thelma Schoonmaker's brilliant editing as to Scorsese. LaMotta is probably the role of De Niro's lifetime.
Rated 26 Aug 2013
Very very very good movie. Truly one of the best movies of all time. De Niro is excellent as the man pulling himself back together from a long sadistic life of regrets and depression. Excellent directing, music, writing, and acting. Whaf more could you want? One of my favorites.
Rated 13 Feb 2009
The cinematography and direction is perfect, the editing is sharp, the score is top-notch, and Robert De Niro gives a performance of a lifetime. Raging Bull is a monster of a film that will simply blow you away. Scorsese filmmaking at its peak.
Rated 19 Feb 2020
One of two B&W 1980 Best Picture Nominees where the guy says "I am not an animal!" - Celebrity Deathmatch missed the opportunity to do Raging Bull vs. Elephant Man. Scorsese depicts a raw catholicism, sin and atonement in brutal measure. Hellish smoke encloses the ring, a brother's keeper in the corner. As LaMotta lets himself be crucified on the ropes so does DeNiro punish his own body for the people, adding twice the weight Morgan Spurlock gained in Supersize Me just for a handful of scenes.
Rated 26 May 2008
Arguably Scrosese's best film, a truly mesmerizing docudrama. The black and white photography contributes a lot to this feeling, and DeNiro's performance is nothing short of hypnotizing and amazing, perhaps my favorite performance ever. This is not a feel good movie, but when the end credits roll and Mascagni's score is heard in the background, you know you've just witnessed something special.
Rated 15 Feb 2007
This could quite possibly be De Niro's best performance. Raging Bull contains a wide variety of emotions, and De Niro presents them with the utmost excellence. The life of Jake LaMotta was definitely one to be put to the screen, but Scorsese made it legendary. Scorsese's Direction is fantastic, it didn't seem rushed, and how Scorsese captured all the goings on of LaMotta, and the long time span it takes place in was handled in a way that only Scorsese could. Magnificent!
Rated 25 Sep 2017
Raging Bull is a technically excellent film - cinematography, acting, pacing, all that jazz. Other reviewers can laud it better than I. But here's another reason I couldn't be a critic: I can't like a movie simply for how well-done it is. Like other Scorsese films, it shows ugliness and brutality oh so well, but I find no purpose in it. I watch movies for fun, to admire or sympathize with characters, or else to learn or be enriched in some other way. Raging Bull gave me none of that.
Rated 12 Aug 2008
Fantastic, captivating, amazing...words cannot describe how amazing and influential this film is. Arguably Scorsese's best, and this is De Niro's most powerful performance ever caught on film. One of those dramas that blows you away and surpasses expectations every single time you watch it!
Rated 21 Jul 2007
This is the kind of movie that you can recognize as being excellent without really connecting to it at all. I understand that this was an expertlyl-made film with incredible performances, but I HATED the character of Jake LaMotta. What a loud, fat jackass.
Rated 19 Jul 2014
Like a spectator at a zoo watching a tiger roam around a cage, we are offered a glimpse of the beast's brutal grace from an assuredly safe distance. But the barrier is broken in the final act by Deniro's savagely sympathetic performance that reveals the full extent of Scorsese-Schrader's humanism: Lamotta's self destruction is given a painfully human, and therefore troubling, dimension, and that is the real source of the film's devastating emotional power. Classic
Rated 13 Aug 2007
Superb acting overall, not just De Niro. Scorsese's best film so far.
Scorsese's best film, this bio-pic of Jake Lamotta features a solid supporting cast and De Niro in the role that gives him the right to do as many awful Ben Stiller movies as his heart desires.
Rated 02 Mar 2010
De Niro's portrayal of LaMotta is so intense and incredibly realistic. All the nuances in his representation of a sadomasochist and hotheaded fighter are on point. I personally know someone with a similar attitude which makes DeNiro's performance all the more impressive to me.
Rated 12 Jan 2009
Boxing play from playwright Scorsese
Rated 01 Dec 2006
Great drama with one of the best acting performances ever. DeNiro is simply awesome as is the directing by Scorsese.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
A hell of a journey, from the first to the last frame.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Raging Bull is the kind of movie that is better every time you see it. There aren't many movies that can blow you away each and every viewing, but Raging Bull does it. It's heartfelt and honest the way De Niro plays LaMotta. It's an incredible movie and every front and is the closest representation of the harsh realities of self detest.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
De Niro once again dominates another movie. Emotionally packed and they are presented wonderfully. An impressive addition to Scorsese resume.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
De Niro's best performance.
Rated 01 Aug 2009
Technically superb with loads of great performances, like so many of Scorsese's films, but also just like so many of his films it almost feels too slick and I always fail to connect with the characters. Or does Scorsese's style fail to connect with me? I dunno!? But I know this is great, but it hardly moves me at all.
De Niro's performance is a thing of perfection. The boxing scenes are incredibly well shot. Great movie.
DeNiro is DeBomb!
Rated 02 Nov 2008
Gorgeous black and white, a excellent drama.
Rated 06 Jul 2007
I don't know why I didn't see this sooner.
Rated 06 Oct 2010
I couldn't find much humanity in Jake. He seemed artificial. Consequently, I felt pretty detached throughout, even moreso during the poorly choreographed fights (Scorsese brilliantly captured several moments in the fights, though, and each fight is shot differently, so props for that). Joey, magnificently played by Pesci, is a much more interesting character. I understand the paranoia, jealousy, pride, self-destructive behaviours... but it did not resonate deeply. Good film but disappointing.
Rated 09 Jul 2011
An extraordinary central performance by De Niro (almost matched by Pesci and Moriarty in support) help liven curiously uninvolving drama, despite cinematic master Scorsese behind the camera, and Schoonmaker's legendary, exciting boxing scenes. Perhaps the biggest problem is that Jake LaMotta is simply not a sympathetic or relatable character, and its difficult to discern any overarching value or "moral" from his story. Technical merits are undeniable, but final impact rings hollow.
Rated 11 Nov 2007
Classic film about the rise and fall of Jake LaMotta.
Rated 01 Dec 2011
Amazing to see De Niro become LaMotta and Pesci in his best role. Beautifully filmed it's one of the best movies of all time.
Rated 11 May 2010
Photography. Era. Truism. Drama. Detail. Score... Perfection... Classic.
Rated 02 Feb 2017
A HUGE DICKHEAD: THE MOVIE. De Niro was utterly incredible and the editing is insane but there's really nothing here to draw me in. Didn't have enough to say outside of the usual toxic masculinity stuff and I didn't care about Jake's petty jealousies at all.
I used to think Jake LaMotta was all fat and dead after I saw this movie. They don't say he is but I just assumed
Brilliant, strong stuff from Scorcesce and company. It's storytelling at its best.
Rated 26 Mar 2007
Another Scorsese portrait of a damned soul. Intense and brutal and unforgettable
Rated 25 Oct 2010
A fantastic film, however Scorsese's (and others') exploration of this kind of explosive, sexually immature, adulterous male lead is something I don't ever find that appealing.
Rated 24 Sep 2007
This one never really did much of anything for me. Just a lot of cussin' and individual scenes stacked up, but I didn't get anything more out of it. It never coalesced.
Rated 11 Aug 2012
The opening shot of La Motta dancing around the smoky ring throwing punches in the air as if at an invisible opponent while Mascagni's intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana plays sets the tone for a beautifully done classic personal rise and fall plot. De Niro and Pesci are fantastic together. Excellent filmmaking.
Rated 10 Dec 2007
truly the best film i have ever watched..
Rated 27 Feb 2007
Scorsese abstains from the nostalgic conventions of historical biography, instead writes another chapter in his preoccupation with Italian-American identity and Catholic self-reckoning. Religious iconography looms over the film, LaMotta's savagery in and out of the ring the embodiment of mortal sin, and he receives comeuppance in spectacular fashion. The black-and-white is almost hyperreal, the boxing sequences are crunchy and ultraviolent, and De Niro's physical transformation is remarkable.
Rated 25 Feb 2009
My favorite performance by De Niro. He makes character of the hardheaded boxer, who goes through ups and downs of life look real and very memoriable. Also might be a favorite movie Scorsese directed, or maybe a tie with Taxi Driver. After credits ended i was sitting in a dark for a few minutes, thinking about life. I think thats relevant describing how powerful movie is. I will definately watch it again at some point in the future.
Rated 21 Sep 2010
Really fantastic movie. The acting, directing and cinematography are outstanding. I'm sure I'll love it even more after more views, but this first viewing didn't dissapoint me at the least.
Rated 17 Jul 2007
Classic in every sense.
Rated 14 Aug 2008
Fortunately, some times great acting can allow one to realize the limits of their empathy - 'Raging Bull' offers what few others do in that regard. The slow motion, the sound, the cutting vibrations - It's all ingenuity, as the images are immediately embedded; available to the recollection almost as conveniently as one's own. Whether its pool-side at the Bronx, live at the Garden, or dinner at the Copa - Every set is engaging and impressively accessible. I am in awe of this masterpiece.
Rated 13 Feb 2011
Oh my, was this a great one to revisit. Those boxing scenes are brutal.
Brutal, grim, but utterly compelling. Another marvellous collaboration of Scorcese, Schrader and De Niro where each element comes together beautifully. De Niro's performance is incredible.
Not that impressed. The acting was good, the camera was handled well, yet I didn't give a crap what happened to this man. Well made film, but failed to connect to me.
Rated 17 Sep 2009
Martin Scorsese definitely has a vibe about his movies because there was something in this movie that utterly made me think of Goodfellas (poor, angry, new york people), but that's neither here nor there. This is a superb film with a stunning performance from DeNiro as a completely unstable and ultimately unloved character. Exceptional black and white cinematography really brings this old New York to life. This is a must-see movie.
Rated 13 Feb 2009
Incredible.
Rated 05 Nov 2018
An extremely well-filmed adaptation of an underwhelming script. The atmospheric mood-setting shots here are beautiful but it's almost like the plot is built around them instead of the other way around.
Rated 30 Sep 2011
Overrated b/c Scorsese, as usual, lets some scenes go on 4 too long (the champagne glass tower? LaMotta's life has become 1 of excess- we get it), & some scenes r so over-the-top (only Rocky is this amenable 2 being punched in the face) it's easy 2 c why they've been parodied so much. Still it's great b/c Scorsese makes it all plausible; everyone's at the top of their game & most importantly, knowing the bomb is going 2 blow, but not when, is infinitely more riveting than the explosion itself
Rated 08 Jun 2010
Fearless depiction of a wretched man who is a great boxer because of his stupidity and bullheadedness. I despised La Motta, and yet the pathos was undeniable when he hits his rock bottom. Of course it is a beautifully crafted film.
Rated 03 May 2011
"Bring it ova here!!!"
Rated 02 Feb 2020
There's a couple of interesting things going on in editing and sound, and De Niro is perfect, but I don't feel the story had quite enough meat for a movie.
Rated 11 Aug 2007
De Niro proves once again that he can deliver performances that stun with their brilliance, and Scorsese once again provides gritty and realistic story telling and direction. Intense and hypnotizing.
Rated 07 Sep 2011
Scorsese is a genius director. De Niro and Pesci give a pair of near perfect performances. My only question is what happened to De Niro and Pesci. When did one become that guy from Home Alone and the other became that ass from Little Fockers.
YES! DeNiro at his fattest and Pesci at his greatest. Actors considers this one of the greatest movies ever made. DeNiro lives in a house of humility so let's hope he hasn't found out yet. Don't let the black&whiteness put you off, if you're a fan of films, you're probably a fan of this one.
Rated 16 Jul 2012
A classic with a showstopping performance by Robert De Niro in arguably his best role (though I prefer him in Taxi Driver). Brutal boxing scenes combined with an overall brutal person who is out to prove himself not just to others but to himself. In the end it's also about what drives men's insecurity and what causes them to hurt the ones they love.
One of Scorsese's very best.
Rated 20 Jan 2012
The best example of how DeNiro's method acting can lead to an unforgetable performance.
Rated 24 Apr 2007
great
Rated 09 Apr 2012
The final scene alone is Oscar worthy.
Rated 14 Oct 2009
One of Scorsese's greatest films.
A tour-de-force character study by Scorcese/DeNiro. LaMotta's "On the Waterfront" monologue at the end is one of the saddest moments in cinema.
Rated 12 Apr 2010
Nice performance by De Niro indeed but other that.. Meh.. Plot is filled with holes. I don't get how he wins the championship or why he loses it. How his wife bears with him for 11 years or why she decides to leave after all. How he became a boxer or how he became a showman. All I see is a 2 years later sub followed by one box fight and one irrational jealousy fight, then another 2 years later sub.
Rated 04 Jul 2010
A near perfect film in technical areas: direction, character development, cinematography, performances, and the like. However, although I admire watching a character be destroyed by his own flaws, I didn't really feel any strong connection or emotion during this film. Perhaps it will be more emotionally resonant in future viewings.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
If that's what they're gonna do they're gonna do what can i do?
Rated 02 Mar 2008
Scorsese's best.
Rated 25 Sep 2010
The techniques used by Scorsese are impressive, considering that he filmed this in 1980 or even earlier. About the role, doesnt catch you so much at first time, but it is good when the storie just progress.
Rated 17 Mar 2009
While watching this I came to the conclusion that you need a lot more will power than I have to appreciate this movie. It's like a purposefully dirty penny--it's shiny underneath. It must have been Scorsese's doing, but you need to squint really hard to see anything special in this movie, it's not that everyone involved isn't capable, but they seem to be trying pretty hard to hide it.
Rated 06 Apr 2009
This film is genius on all levels, from the acting to the directing, even down to the little things like how the fights scenes themselves were choreographed and staged. All in all, Raging Bull shows that a movie can be crafted just like other works of art, because Scorsese really pays attention to detail to make a beautiful final project.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
It's fitting that this film references On the Waterfront, as this is everything that movie strived to be and failed. Possibly the quintessential "American" film, and the swan song of New Hollywood before any sense of artistry was buried under the rubble of blockbusters and sequels. To apply a hamfisted metaphor, LaMotta is the director and Robinson the studio -- beaten mercilessly time and again, yet never falling down. One of the best films ever made.
Rated 10 May 2008
"give the boo boo a kiss" - it's pure perfection.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
A savage film, and a savage performance by DiNiro.
Rated 15 Feb 2008
Excellent movie! Scorsese at his best. It's awesome seeing a younger De Niro and Pesci together.
Rated 20 Jun 2008
The movie Scorcese should've won on Oscar for. So good in fact, they gave it to him for a film he did 25 years later. DeNiro is great.
Rated 06 Mar 2010
The boxing scenes were amazing. Some of the best direction and cinematography I have ever seen. They made me sick, they made me cheer, they were perfection. The scenes that took place outside the boxing ring were kind of hard for me to watch. I absolutely hated Jake LaMotta and rarely felt sympathetic towards him. He was his own worst enemy because of the way he treated people that loved him. No other actor could have made me feel this way towards a character in a movie. Deniro was amazing.
Rated 02 Aug 2017
This movie is brutal. In the best way possible though. Scorsese and Schrader team up again here to take an absolutely unflinching look at boxer Jake LaMotta. The boxing scenes were filmed magnificently, but the best part of this movie is in its characterization - especially in the dialogue between LaMotta and his brother.
Rated 06 Jun 2012
De Niro is a caged animal, tethered to the ring. His only real release for the primal, emotional life he is trapped to live. He staunches around his flat, can't fit in with the civilized world, see's people as their inner-beasts rather than whatever flesh is covering them. anyone is a threat in the territorial food chain from opponent to brother. If you don't believe it Jo Pesci follows the bloodline by utilizing a car door. I wonder what Brando would have done in this role.
Rated 11 Dec 2009
This film's da boss, da boss, da boss.
Rated 25 Jan 2010
One of the all time greatest performances in a film and a tough watch from a dramatic perspective.
The greatest ever movie about sport (if you call boxing a sport).
Rated 24 Apr 2009
How did Scorsese not win an Oscar for this?
Rated 25 Sep 2010
An excellent movie with perfect direction and great acting..but something about keeps me from really loving it. And the annoying thing is I don't know what it is.
Rated 01 Feb 2007
Expertly-made boxing scenes, paranoia involving marital fidelity, rinse and repeat. A masterpiece this formula does not make. But Scorsese's direction is great, the editing is great, and De Niro gives his best performance.
Rated 03 May 2008
Superb. The intentions behind the actions of LaMotta are never fed to you, so it's up to you to understand his self-destruction, but it works better that way. This is a brilliant character study, compelling from start to finish. De Niro gives an awe-inspiring performance in Raging Bull; it is not to be missed.
Rated 03 Jul 2010
Mistakes - 1) During a scene where the boxer is in his home, you hear an ambulance siren from his window. The siren is a modern siren rather than the slow low to loud sound then back from loud to low type when the movie was dated. 2) When Joe Pesci has to apologize and shake hands with the guy he got into a fight with, there is one shot of him shaking hands. The very next shot - with no transition whatsoever - shows Joe Pesci holding/playing with what appears to be a matchbook.
Rated 25 Oct 2009
Awesome movie. De Niro is truly amazing, but so is the too often overlooked Peschi.
Rated 08 Jun 2011
Not as good as Taxi Driver, but still terrific, of course.
Rated 06 Sep 2011
Best boxing scenes I've seen in any film, incredibly engaging and exciting. On a slightly less serious note, Joe Pesci's mental outburst was a really fun moment.
Rated 27 Jun 2007
It makes beating women look cool.
Rated 06 Jul 2007
One of the best acting performances I've ever witnessed.
Rated 14 Sep 2008
One of the best movies of the duo Scorsese/deNiro.
A true classic, Scorsese's best. Brilliant mood piece and an unmatched character study.
Rated 16 Nov 2007
What can I write about Martin Scorsese's brutal portrait of human jealousy and self-destructiveness that hasn't been written? Let's see: it's about leprechauns. There we go.
Rated 22 Jul 2010
Brutal, uncompromising and in-your-face. Has there been a better acting performance in film than De Nero here? His performance, along with Pesci, makes this film great.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
he ate, he ate, he hate he ate 'til he was full
Rated 26 Dec 2006
Brilliant acting by De Niro and clever editing combined with an utterly boring story. This just has all the ingredients but doesn't really resonates with me for some reason...
Rated 01 Aug 2009
I love DeNiro and Pesce together, and in this they don't disappoint.
Rated 20 Jan 2011
Like his role in "Taxi Driver", Robert De Niro brilliantly portrays a completely unsympathetic character. "Raging Bull" is often unpleasant, but always engrossing. It makes you hate Jake La Motta, but want to learn more about him. it's one of the greatest train wrecks in American cinema: too terrible to look at, but too mesmerizing to look away from.