1999
Family/Kids
The sequel to the landmark 1995 computer-animated blockbuster from Disney and Pixar. This time around, the fun and adventure continue when Andy goes off to cowboy camp and the toys are left to their own devices. Things shift into high gear when an obsessive toy collector kidnaps Woody -- who hasn't the slightest clue that he's a greatly valued collectible. (Disney/Pixar)

1999
Family/Kids

Rated 06 Jul 2016
Better than the first, no question. The story, characters, animation, and everything else are all improved - which is no small feat. One of the best sequels of all time.
Quite possibly better than the first, and seeing as how the first was a revolutionary masterpiece, this one is no joke. Toy Story 2 is extremely charming and fun. Even if you're an adult, it's hard to not love this film. It's a touching story, the voice acting is top notch and the music, like in the first one, is terrific. Awesome!
Rated 19 Mar 2007
One of the best Disney sequels ever. Thank the good Lord this didn't go direct-to-video, it ranks up there with the original "Toy Story," still the first and best of the computer-animation pile-up.
Rated 07 Mar 2008
Fantastic! This sequel is just as good as the first "Toy Story" with the return of favorite characters (with more character development, wow!) and some great new characters, too. A favorite!!!
It's hard to believe that there is a sequel to an animated movie that improves on it so much. The animation is better, the story is bigger, and the humor is funnier. It's so much fun and a true delight to watch.
Rated 23 Sep 2010
Might be the weakest of the series but still is beautifully animated and well acted.
Rated 20 Mar 2014
Toy Story 2 is Pixar's first sequel and one of the best sequels ever. The overall animation is better, the story is on a much larger scale and the humour still caters for children and adults alike. And most importantly the story telling is superb and I loved the Woody's Round Up segments. The characters are as loveable as ever and the new additions are as equally enjoyable. Its definitely on a par with its predecessor & for action packed fun, thrills and adventure Toy Story 2 is a worthy sequel.
Rated 13 Mar 2008
It's a good sequel but simply not as charming as the first. I didn't really enjoy the new toys that were introduced, in fact I found Jessie to just be annoying, but anytime the classic toys are on screen it's very entertaining, especially Buzz Lightyear meeting "brand-new" Buzz Lightyear. The animation has improved a great deal and there are still lots of humorous pop-culture references for adults to enjoy this as much, if not more than, kids. Well worth seeing but the first is simply better.
I really didn't like the new characters, the entire plot with the collector just wasn't enjoyable for me. Whenever the original characters are on screen it's great (like the segment in the toy store). Not nearly as fun as the first.
Rated 30 Sep 2010
I actually was quite surprised when I noticed in the airport-exterior-scene that it was getting dark; that had to mean it was soon to be night; that had to mean Andy would come home; again, meaning the toys needed to get back. Why surprised? I didn't feel the slightest climax. Pixar has a wonderful sense of humor, but this wasn't as fun, profound or exciting as the first one - or as some of their other work. Love the pig's voice, though.
Rated 06 Mar 2007
Pixar can't fuck up. They made a good Disney sequel, that's all the proof you need.
Rated 30 Aug 2019
I'm not sure whether or not it's a better film than the original, but I find it more enjoyable. A lot of fun.
Rated 19 Jul 2008
It lives up to the original with a great story, and detailed characters. A heartwarming animated flick that is sure to please and charm anybody.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
Bigger, brighter, more action-packed sequel, that strays slightly from the originals concept. Suddenly a city, rather than a child's bedroom, is the toys playpen. It's still funny and clever, but in this new setting some of the subtlety and charm is lost. The voice acting is as brilliant as ever, the addition of a crack-fueled Cusack the only blemish. Quibbles aside, this is a fun adventure that will beat down the old grouch that lives inside you for a time.
Pixar seems to do no wrong. A great sequal that surpasses the original in story quality and animation. Buzz Lightyear vs. Buzz Lightyear - got to love it!
Rated 29 May 2012
Not as good as the first one but it's still full of charm.
This and Dead Man Walking are the only two movies that have made me cry. How could they possibly improve upon the original?!!
Very good movie. Not many kids movies that can claim that title.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Pixar amazingly improves on the first movie both technically and thematically.
Rated 21 Aug 2008
Perhaps the best sequel ever.
Rated 02 Jun 2008
you can have a good sequel
Rated 19 Aug 2012
respectfully, sarah mclaughlin can fuck off.
Rated 18 Aug 2007
Certainly more entertaining than the first, and all around great expansion of the franchise.
Rated 20 Aug 2009
I remember my reaction when I heard Pixar was going to create a sequel to "Toy Story" which was worried. Most of the time sequels are not as good as the first one, but "Toy Story 2" blew me away. It was as good, and some say even better, than the first one. The same cast is back for this one and it is just as entertaining as the first one. One of the best sequels to any film to date.
Rated 20 Oct 2008
This is Pixars only sequel so far. And it's really good. This adds to the original as well as bringing in new characters. There is some very funny laugh out loud moments and still a good mix for adults and kids
Rated 12 Sep 2007
It may be a kid movie, but adults can watch and enjoy it. There are continuous, subtle little humorous tidbits for the adult viewer.
A strong sequel by any standard, with themes applicable beyond the world of toys.
Rated 06 May 2009
Wonderful animation and voice acting, with a great story too!
Rated 09 Feb 2007
This is one of my favorite Pixar films. It's funnier and has more action than the first one. Plus the inclusion of Zurg was a wonderful idea. Just the Crickiter screenshot makes me laugh.
Rated 06 Mar 2008
Another favorite! Perhaps not as much of an overall favorite as the first Toy Story, it's still great, great, great!
Rated 14 Apr 2007
Wow, a sequel that's actually every bit as good as the first. These Pixar guys are going to be cheered for decades
Possibly better than the first. Try not to cry when the Sarah McLachlan song kicks in. That fucking whore.
As ground-breaking as the first "Toy Story", this sequel ups the ante with an even tighter story and impecable attention to detail.
It's not as iconic to me as the original (probably because I miss the Woody/Buzz rivalry dynamic), but is still a funny, poignant, and joyous film by any measure. The flashback montage of Jessie's life is quite powerful and a sort of predecessor to the opening montage of Up.
Rated 02 Jul 2010
Very good follow up to the first film but it's just not quite as good. I enjoyed the first half a lot but the second half didn't wow me as much as the first film's did. It was great, just not as great. I must say that the part where Jessie sings that song about Emily growing up and forgetting her is amazing. It's so sad and beautiful. Anyway, Excellent movie that just falls short of the even more excellent first film.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
As good as, if not better than, Toy Story. Its' every bit as funny, engaging, and thoughtful as the original, and quite a bit sadder. There's a really dark subtext to Toy Story 2 that makes it a little hard for me to watch as I get older. Still, I absolutely love it, and it's a perfect example of how to do a sequel right.
Rated 09 Jan 2008
The animation is still stunning. Unfortunately a lot of the excitement and wonder from the first is missing.
Not nearly as good as the first one but still pretty solid. Even Pixar's worst films are still good.
Rated 17 Dec 2006
Toy Story 2 proved that even when they're doing sequels to films that don't, strictly speaking, need sequels, Pixar always get it right. To be fair, I haven't seen the movie since it was released so my memory may be colored somewhat by nostalgia.
Rated 26 Dec 2006
Better than the first, it's loaded with creativity -- from the double Lightyears to the climax -- and surprising poignancy and maturity. And that last line, man, it gets me every time.
Rated 01 Mar 2007
Not as good as the original.
Rated 08 Nov 2007
Better than the first, believe it or not. Great humour, great story and great CGI.
Rated 25 Dec 2006
One of the best, if not the best sequel ever. Disney forced them to make it, but I'm kind of glad they did.
Rated 11 Jun 2007
It was good and the animation was improved, but it just wasn't the same as the original.
Rated 10 Oct 2009
Just a smidgen better than Toy Story 1, if only for the sad Jessie montage.
Rated 12 Jul 2007
One of the best animated movies ever.
Rated 08 Jan 2007
Pixar's masterwork, what a sequel is supposed to be.
Rated 07 Feb 2008
The toys are back in tow-ow-ow-ow-own! The toys are back in town! Bah na na na na na. Na na na na na.
Rated 16 Jun 2015
'Toy Story 2' proved that Pixar was a powerhouse not to be reckoned with; it took the original show to all new heights, expanding on its universe with better gags, a grander adventure, more memorable characters, and a stronger dramatic core.
Rated 17 Jan 2017
The big city setting makes for one fun adventure after another (the toy store is a highlight), leading from a cleverly edited dual-narrative to a fantastic airport climax. The small-toy-in-big-world ingenuity, combined with the excellent banter (the voice-work is top notch once again) and even nods to classic films ("I am your father!") makes every scene a delight. A touching mid-movie montage on the reality of toy-life and brilliant end-credits "bloopers" elevate this to yet another level.
Rated 31 Mar 2010
almost as good as the original toy story but sequels never seem to have that same feel
Rated 03 Jul 2011
Gleiche Grundzusammensetzung aber zielgruppengerechter umgesetzt mit jeder Menge "Freunde/nicht Freunde" Attitüde, der obligatorischen in die Länge gezogenen Verfolgungsjagd. Noch plattere Story als Teil 1 und der Niedlichkeits-Bonus strapaziert sich fast über. Dennoch ein solider Film, der doch auch zu unterhalten weiß.
Rated 27 Jul 2010
Not as good as Toy Story but it's still miles ahead of anything that Dreamworlks could do.
Rated 21 Jun 2010
Impossible not to fall inlove with.
Rated 23 Sep 2011
Better than the first one, which was also top.
Rated 01 Oct 2010
better than the first episode
Rated 02 Jul 2009
Very funny. Maybe better than the first one!
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Not nearly as good as the first, actually, one of Pixar's worst. Of course, Pixar's worst is on par with most studio's best.
Rated 08 Feb 2007
An amazing sequel, and perhaps the funniest Pixar movie. The jokes come fast and furious, made possible by the array of hilarious supporting characters along for the ride this time.
Rated 11 Sep 2007
As good if not better than the first one. Character development was great and you feel like you are along for the ride.
Rated 09 Mar 2022
Toy Story 2 does a good job of carrying the series forward. Andy is still young enough to enjoy his toys until Woody is almost sold at a garage sale. His mother realizes the mistake but then has Woody stolen out from under her nose by a perfectly cast Wayne Knight. The additions to the cast in this film were good. Joan Cusack and Kelsey Grammer are additions to the Woody storyline. Woody is a Howdy Doody style character and the other two are collectables that Knight is trying to sell. It's cute.
Rated 10 Feb 2008
Every bit as good or better than the first!
Rated 19 Jan 2013
More Toy Story.
Rated 23 Aug 2015
Not quite as good as the first but still very promising
Rated 02 Jul 2012
Another exquisite soundtrack, cheesy plot, and lovable cast.
Rated 22 Jul 2009
Toy Story is one of the true classics in animation, and the 2nd is good as well.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
Sequels are almost always somewhat less than the original. A bit like shrek 2, it really tried on the Jokes, and missed a bit with the plot. Still, it is a fun time for all, funny and fun for the whole family.
Rated 23 Oct 2019
Definitely the best animated sequel ever, and one of the greatest film sequels period. Manages to hit even higher emotional chords and serves as another super fun adventure about what your things get up to when you're not around.
Erm, no thanks. I've come to the conclusion that despite being made to entertain adults as well as kids, Pixar movies suck.
Rated 20 Dec 2013
Toy Story 2 employs inventive storytelling, gorgeous animation, and a top notch voice cast to deliver another rich moviegoing experience for all ages, one that's arguably even better than its predecessor.
Rated 02 May 2016
Aside from the toned-down humor and the new Buzz Lightyear not really contributing anything to the plot, Toy Story 2 still lives up to the impossibly high standards set by the first movie. I especially loved Jessie's flashback much more now than I did as a child.
Rated 09 Apr 2018
When compared to its predecessor, this is every bit as good, but, when compared to later Pixar masterpieces, it feels just a little safe and maybe a little tired. But that really isn't fair. To be fair, this sequel is still well worth watching. It's very nearly perfect for what it is.
Rated 17 Jun 2022
You guys lavishing praise on John Lasseter might want to ah, edit your reviews.
Rated 21 Jan 2008
Pretty good for a 2nd show.
fun every time you watch it
Rated 16 Jun 2010
A solid sequel, but a bit more formulaic than most Pixar films.
good follow-up for the original classic.
Rated 27 Nov 2010
For my whole life, I've always preferred the first one, but this is a beyond-exceptional sequel. It's lots of fun, playful with it's characters (who, for animated toys, are tons more appealing than human characters from other films), the animation is great, and I suppose my main complaint here would be the storyline isn't as tightly packed as it could be and the side-villain, Emperor Zurg, has an awkward placement in the film.
Rated 27 Mar 2011
Not as good as 1, still pretty dang sweet.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
An amazing sequel. One of the few to almost reach the original. A must see for any pixar fan.
Rated 23 Mar 2008
Should be required watching for anyone considered making a movie for kids.
Rated 30 Mar 2021
Really Good
Rated 25 Jul 2008
I love Disney and this is a typical film, great and fun!
Rated 05 Dec 2009
A quality film, but the addition of the female Woody is a distraction, and this film has difficulty finding its focus. I also dislike the Velveteen Rabbit plot.
Rated 18 May 2007
As funny and imagnitive as the original, Toy Story 2 is one o fth emost entertaining children films of the 90s.
Rated 17 Sep 2016
Amazing but sometimes rude
Rated 28 Feb 2023
audiovisual 86 overall feeling 92 avg 89
Rated 31 Aug 2007
Pixar makes the perfect sequel to an exceptional film.
Rated 29 Sep 2008
Toy Story 2 was OK!
Rated 09 Jan 2009
Good sequel. Pixar is good.
Rated 20 Jul 2009
As good as the first. You have no heart if you don't like this.
Rated 12 Jan 2013
Even better than the original. Yet another masterpiece of Pixar.
Rated 20 Aug 2015
It's too good to be true, and yet it is: Toy Story 2 is more magical, more emotionally resonant, more hilarious, more ingeniously plotted, more all-around perfect than the brilliant original. It's the best kind of sequel, the kind that neither repeats the original nor merely adds to it, but lovingly builds upon it and goes beyond it into narrative and emotional territory no first film could reach.
Fuck the naysayers, the film does a great job of breathing life into the already classic characters and story.
Rated 27 Jul 2007
One of the most brilliant kids' movies ever made, full stop.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Not as good as the original.
Rated 26 Feb 2010
I have enjoyed this movie since I was a little kid. Which was when the movie came out. It's one of the good family movies, that aren't cute and fuzzy like 'Snow Puppies'. Family movies like Toy Story, are the best family movies there are.
Rated 18 Aug 2010
Better than the original!
Rated 18 Sep 2008