1959
Romance, Drama
When a Jewish prince is betrayed and sent into slavery by a Roman friend, he regains his freedom and comes back for revenge. (imdb)
Franchise: Ben-Hur

Everything about this movie is epic, including the pee I had to take when it was over.
I can certainly appreciate the film's standout scenes. The chariot race and the naval battle are both choreographed perfectly and keep viewers on edge with suspense. But the film's ultimate message about forgiveness and salvation feels pretty hokey and hamhanded. This is especially noticeable in the final hour (after race), when the pacing drags and the conflicts the film has telegraphed for hours already unravel at a snail's pace (By the end I was almost shouting "Just give Jesus the water!")
This film is actually a remake of a 1925 film. Ex-General Lew Wallace wrote this during the time when he was territorial governor of NM. It's a great book and it had the potential for a great movie - which director Wyler accomplished. All the top cast, though constrained by the dialog constraints of a Biblical epic, really do their parts well. It's a great effort on many levels - drama, action, a love story and how heroism can be felt and displayed. An awesome and still impressive movie!
The chariot race was extreme.
I was only really engaged with the story when Judah and Messala were interacting with each other, culminating with the great chariot race sequence. The rest of the film felt extremely trite and artificial to me. It's a well made movie, but I don't plan on watching it ever again.

Submitted bymonolith94monolith94 on 28 Mar 2006