2003
Bruce is a local news reporter who is discontented with nearly everything in his life, and rarely misses an opportunity to complain about it. Until one day God endows Bruce with all of his powers and challenges him to take on his job and see if he can do any better. (Universal Pictures)

2003

Pretty lame. I don't like Jim Carrey much to begin with, though. I laughed a couple of times, mostly at Dan Hedaya. And Morgan Freeman is always a pleasure to watch, but not enough to save this mediocre crap.
So essentially, we have Jim Carrey playing typical Jim Carrey and Jennifer Aniston playing romantically frustrated Rachel Greene (a la Friends). Pretty funny at times- especially considering this is the first widely known movie where we get funnyman Steve Carell as a central character- but otherwise, it's predictable. Morgan Freeman as God may well be the only reason to watch this one.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
Crap, only God Himself could have turned this turd into a rose and I guess he decided not to.
Rated 02 Sep 2011
Fun set up then it takes a giant nosedive in the middle Morgan Freeman is great though yeah!
Rated 30 Dec 2008
It had some funny parts, but it's a good thing I wrote this review now because I might forget this existed in a week.
Christ almighty...
Fun, but quite contrived. Over-the-top in its second-half preachiness, too.
Rated 31 Jul 2020
Only America can make a movie where you become God and all you can think of is making your boss happy
Rated 21 Apr 2007
Morgan Freeman is god. Coincidentally, he plays god in this film. Besides him, it's really just another mediocre Jim Carrey comedy that brings nothing new to the table.
Rated 28 Mar 2013
I'm glad I finally got to see this movie. Jim Carrey did a great job at his short stint of being Bruce Almighty. Morgan Freeman did a fantastic job as God. That silky smooth voice could only come from the heavenly father. Some of the jokes are a little goofy (It's a Jim Carrey movie after all) but the scenes that worked, really worked and I laughed really hard during those scenes. The Steve Carell scene with the babbling had me in tears it was so funny. I also liked the moral of the story.
Rated 04 Mar 2007
Few mildly funny moments and Morgan Freeman. The rest is 'bleh.'
Rated 07 Sep 2010
Funny.
Rated 17 Oct 2008
This should be marked as "Comedy" instead of "Fantasy". Jim playing God is one of the funniest things you can imagine. The story is not that incredible, but it's really, REALLY fun. Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carell are fantastic here too. Worth it!
i fell asleep...nuff said...watched it again to make sure I didn't miss anything and it turns out that I didn't.
Rated 08 Jul 2008
Surprisingly unfunny, considering the possibilities in the premise. Most of those points are for the scene where Bruce was making Evan wig out on air, because that almost made me pee on myself I was laughing so hard. Unfortunately, this spends waaay too much time being respectful and didactic, when it would have been more entertaining if he'd just gone power-mad for the full runtime.
Some decent laughs throughout this comedy. I'll be honest I was hoping for a lot more. I thought Jim Carrey and Morgan Freeman did great jobs with their characters but there just wasn't enough laughs to make this memorable and there wasn't enough deep philosophy to make it really memorable either. It's alright but nothing great.
Rated 02 Jan 2008
Perfectly passable comedy, but nothing more.
Bein' God is hard so, uhhh, put up with life being horrible I guess
Jim Carrey and Morgan Freeman are both likable (even though Jennifer Aniston is playing Standard Jennifer Aniston Character #1 again), the premise is ok... the only thing that's missing, sadly, is strongly written comedy.
Rated 07 Nov 2011
Pretty decent, but left me somehow unsatisfied. I was thrilled to see Jim Carrey in another comedy movie after a pretty long "serious" stint, but it somehow doesn't feel like the same old Jim Carrey from the 90s. It's still a decent story, I'd have to say, but just feels like it's trying really hard not to be a comedy. When it starts taking dramatic/sad turns, it feels more like a buzzkill than tactful story progression. Still, if you like any of the primary actors, you're likely to enjoy it.
Rated 03 Jan 2010
All the power of a god and that's all that he does with it?
The premise is...okay. I like Jim Carrey, but this isn't good. It's rather maudlin at times, too, and mostly unfunny.
Rated 15 Feb 2010
Not a great movie, but not the worst I've seen. I've giggled twice or something
Rated 18 Feb 2007
Morgan Freeman playing God was spot on. Typecasting anyone?
Rated 29 Mar 2009
I'm probably scoring this too highly, but I just love it.
Rated 16 Dec 2006
God Almighty! Tell us Lord! What have we done to deserve this severe punishment in movie form? Actually, this movie is just mediocre and unfunny and forgettable.
Rated 14 Jan 2008
A comedy about being god, Jim Carrey surprisingly does this well enough for an atheist to enjoy it with no real problem. Granted, it does follow a rather standard comedy formula, but it certainly does work.
A high-concept comedy that is fairly mediocre, with a few great moments provided by Steve Carrell.
Rated 03 Aug 2022
I'm not sure how much I like this. It's a bit all over the place, but punctuated by some funny scenes. Carrey is Carrey, as you might expect. I think it just runs out of steam. Watchable.
Jim Carrey can be grating. I can't stand Steven Carrell. Jennifer Aniston doesn't know how to play anything except for Rachel. Yet, somehow, this movie is fantastic! Carrey's shtick is there, but only when appropriate. But most importantly, Morgan Freeman is God (he plays Him in the movie as well).
Rated 27 Feb 2008
He has had better movies.
Rated 28 Apr 2009
It's fun.
Rated 30 Jan 2013
"Çarp beni ey yüce çarpıcı!"
Rated 17 May 2011
Carrey is hilarious in the slapstick scenes, but Bruce Almighty gets bogged down in treacle.
Rated 02 Feb 2010
I think I was sick of Carrey by the time this film came out. Seemed a pretty poor effort.
Rated 07 Jan 2011
4-5
Rated 04 Jan 2016
A good movie with a fun story.
Rated 25 Oct 2012
Has its moments.
Rated 07 Jan 2013
Great movie!
Rated 19 Mar 2008
Very forgettable.
Rated 13 Apr 2009
Im a Jim Carrey fan and this RANKS no 2 of his movies for me great comedy THIS MOVIE ROCKS
Rated 19 Mar 2008
Very funny. Good movie, better DVD. The extras on the DVD make it great.
Really enjoyed this movie, although I wasn't sure at first. Got a bit overhanded toward the end, but still a very good balance of goofy and emotion.
The concept's incredibly appealing but nothing about the execution in this movie really delivers on it.
one word:FUNNY!
Rated 14 Oct 2008
hehe
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Entertaining piece of comedic fluff. Carrey is at his best in slightly more conventional plot lines (i.e. Liar Liar vs. Ace Ventura).
Rated 01 Jun 2008
I love Jim Carrey in any and every role.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
One of Jim Carrey's last over-the-top, manic physical comic roles that is well suited to this fun comedy that draws out laughs at a more than acceptable rate.
Rated 24 Jun 2020
Very predictable. Carrey doing his usual thing, admittedly to some humorous effect on some occasions. The dangers of wanting and getting divine power.
Rated 29 Aug 2012
great entertainment, don't look for message
Just another step of the slow and steady declination of Jim Carey: Comic Genius to Jim Carey: Dramatic Actor.
Rated 18 Oct 2007
Why doesn't Carey just retire?
Rated 30 Aug 2009
Am I the only one getting sick of Freeman playing God-like figures?
Rated 13 Dec 2010
A feel-good comedy that teenagers can safely watch
Rated 13 Feb 2012
Made me laugh a lot
Rated 21 Apr 2007
Some funny moments. Jim Carrey fits the character nicely.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
Jim Carrey is great in this film. This can still make me laugh, even after viewing it many, many times since its debut.
Rated 26 Mar 2020
Fun enough vehicle for Carrey is an at times uneasy mix of Capra-like whimsy and Carrey's forceful comic persona (feeling like a reprise of LIAR LIAR); this would have worked much better with a more subdued performer (say Tom Hanks) who could better handle the whiplashing moments when things turn serious. Still, it's sincere and good-natured, with Freeman clearly enjoying himself as God.
Rated 19 Jan 2013
Allright I'm convinced: there is a god. Now stop preaching.
Rated 23 Aug 2015
A mixed bag but I do like the concept so much
Rated 01 Jul 2008
Jim was funny.
Rated 23 Jul 2009
Much better than Evan, but what isn't?
Rated 04 Oct 2009
A really bad comedy about a guy who becomes God, blah blah. Poor performances from underused supporting cast like Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carrell; Jim Carrey does his usual bad job.
I thought this would be a good Jim Carrey movie, but it really wasn't. Some quality 1-liners, as-per-usual, but it was missing something. Just dissapointed with this one...
Who has never fantasized about having unlimited powers?
Rated 29 Jun 2008
boring.
Rated 19 Feb 2009
Carey is clearly having fun, and the final message is a good one. However it seems to lose its focus in a few places.
Rated 18 Jan 2007
its official morgen freeman is a god
Rated 03 Jan 2014
Rated 24 Nov 2009
Could've been my generation's Groundhog Day, instead completely loses its footing and nosdives in the final act from funny one-man-show to sentimental codswallop, complete with one of the worst cop-out endings in recent memory.
Rated 01 Jun 2008
Classic Jim Carrey with a wonderful message.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
One good joke, but really good joke!
Rated 18 Aug 2009
I liked this one better then evan
better than i thought it would be
Rated 25 Feb 2009
Seeing Jennifer Aniston having an orgasm should not be available to thirteen year olds.
Rated 24 Oct 2011
This movie has its ups and downs. Lots of both actually. I think it firmly landed on the side of better than worse, but it definitely had the potential to completely fall apart in multiple spots.
Pretty fun thanks to Jim Carrey. A lot of it is predictable though and the film just doesn't go as far as it could with the concept.
Rated 30 Mar 2021
Rated 13 Feb 2009
Great movie, very funny.
OK... This movie extracted the best of Jim Carrey
Rated 16 Apr 2010
Bruce Almighty was one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Its abstract concept gives it a novelty anyway but is a license for some surreal humour that you aren't going to see anywhere else. "This morning my tiny nipples went to France" has to be one of the most legendary film quotes of all time. But there is a plot and meaning to it all but it never gets preachy, just adds another dimension to the movie.
Rated 21 Aug 2009
Used to love this when I was younger.
Rated 12 Jul 2008
I tried not to laugh, I really did, but I couldn't help it.
Rated 17 Aug 2010
i laughed a lot when i first saw it jim carrey's performance is amazing
Rated 20 Sep 2010
Once you get past some clever ha ha I am God jokes it de-evolves into some pretty standard fare.
Rated 26 Feb 2017
Jim Carrey tries another thought provoking comedy when a news reporter is given all of God's powers. However the movie is more comedy than thought provoking, and even then the best laughs are sporadic at best. Steve Carell steals most of those laughs in his limited screen time, and Morgan Freeman as God in possibly his most realistic role.
Rated 13 Feb 2009
Morgan Freeman IS God.
Needed more comedy. Previews showed all funny parts.
Rated 16 Sep 2015
Bruce Nolan, a frustrated television newscaster in Buffalo relegated to human interest stories, gets to rampage at the loftiest spiritual level.
Rated 20 Nov 2011
Funny and cute for the family.
A farewell to Carey's classic comedic performances, and a pretty good way to say goodbye.
Rated 02 May 2008
Means more to me than just the movie itself. Ahhh memories. :)
Rated 21 Oct 2008
Funny.
funny, only because i wish i was god
Say what you will, this movie is fantastic. Much like 'Dogma' and 'Oh God', this is a "COMEDY"!!! Sure it very openly and honestly deals with a lot of issues that seperate common sense from religion, but in a light hearted and entertaining way. Jim Carrey is flawless in this one, and Morgan Freeman finally chose to play himself as himself in a movie. A huge step in the right direction away from Ace Ventura.
Rated 17 Sep 2008
Sjov, indtil moral bliver en del...