Garden State
Garden-State

Garden State

2004
Romance, Comedy
Andrew Largeman (Braff) shuffled through life in a lithium-induced coma until his mother's death inspired a vacation from the pills to see what might happen. When he travels from L.A. back to his hometown, he meets Sam (Portman), a girl who is everything he isn't. Her warmth and fearlessness give him the courage to open his heart to the joy and pain of the infinite abyss that is life. (Fox Searchlight Pictures)
Amazon VideoApple TVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

It's one of those "comedies" where no one ever laughs and has some of this wannabe indie music. "Here listen to this, it will change your life." Then she makes him listen to The Shins. hahahahaha, yeah the shins will change your life people. rofl, that part was such a joke. I also vaguely remember a scene where Zach Braff takes some ecstasy and cries or something. I cringed at how bland and predictable the 2 main characters are. It's basically 04's Juno, and I hate that shit.
This is one of those films made purely to appeal to hipsters and indie film buffs. There's a lot of pensive looks, knowing smiles, and quirky lines of dialog that's supposed to demonstrate the superior intellect and acerbic wit of the characters. How charming and witty..I mean how completely mediocre and formulaic. The "infinite abyss" is the creative blackhole generated by this film.
I can't say this was a BAD movie, but it was terribly trite, and rather familiar. Lonely, depressed, disillusioned guy meets off-beat, carefree girl who teaches him how to enjoy life. Loaded with brilliant insights such as, "That's life. If nothing else, it's life. It's real, and sometimes it fuckin hurts, but it's sort of all we have." Wow, that's deep. Natalie Portman is truly awful, and the hipster indie-folk soundtrack is annoying, too.
Zach Braff delivers on every level. Both moving and cheerful, Garden State masterfully explores the everyday existence of the youth of today as they reach significant roadblocks in life. Braff does not stop there, with his unique approach to humour he will cleanse your soul and with his exquisitely crafted drama will open windows into the unexplored regions of the human mind. A life changing experience and perhaps an artistic statement that will stand beside the great works of human kind.
This movie angers me more than it should. I just don't like watching music videos with small acting interludes nor to I appreciate bite-sized, adolescent philosophy, what can I say? I'm uncultured like that.

Last modified by:howler19howler19 on 19 Dec 2019