Armageddon

Armageddon

1998
Sci-fi

Rated 12 Nov 2020
An obnoxious, brain-dead movie made even worse by that damn Aerosmith song that you couldn't escape for the next three years. The fact that this got a Criterion release will forever mystify me. Also, I'm convinced no one in Hollywood knows what "Armageddon" actually means.
Rated 08 Jun 2007
A giant asteroid saves the earth from Bruce Willis!
Nuclear devices have to be detonated manually. Oil miners make awesome astronauts. There's no physics or gravity in space. Girls hug their fiances (who they thought were dead) like their weird old uncle Travis. And asteroids get to break all the rules. I'm giving it 1 point because it won't let me give it zero. Update: I can now give it zero. This is the best moment of my life.
Rated 27 Mar 2008
EXPLOSIONS! YELLING!! GO AMERICA!!! BEN AFFLECK!!!! PEARL HARBOR IN SPACE!!!!!
Rated 10 May 2008
Their space ship lands on a plate of compressed iron ferrite. What?
Rated 29 Nov 2008
It's hilarious to me that NASA thought it would be easier to train oil riggers to be astronauts than astronauts to be oil riggers. How do we save the world from imminent destruction? DRILL BABY, DRILL! The worst part of all this -- other than, well, all of it -- is just how many talented actors are on-board for this shitfest. A movie with this cast and this concept could be inconcievably awesome, but this script is non-stop fail. Hell, Deep Impact is better than this.
Rated 27 Apr 2008
An extended ejaculatory blast of noise and garishness unloaded into your face. Enjoy.
Rated 23 Jan 2008
This is the epitome of everything that is wrong with Hollywood. Only see if you think loud music, screaming, and quick cuts are essential ingredients for a film. If any of these annoy you (and they should) avoid this at all costs.
Rated 01 Feb 2007
Hello, I'm a dumb and shitty movie! Look at me! No, don't look away; look at me! Me!
Rated 09 Apr 2008
The saddest thing about this Michael Bay 'masterpiece' is the fact that every actor of the stellar cast didn't have the backbone to say no to the huge paycheck they were offered to film this flimsy excuse of a screenplay. Over the top, an excess of loud MTV editing combined with little to no decent character development apart from the cliches the actors are dropped in. This film ,like most of the Michael Bay fare, looks good but feels flat out empty.
Rated 24 Feb 2007
A member of the crew, a US Demolisions specialist, forgets how to disarm a missile with the "red or green wire" cliche during this film to create superficial tension. Keep in mind this isn't a terrorist bomb but a US made nuclear device this person was TRAINED on how to disarm. Needless to say this movie is absolutely atrocious.
Rated 17 Jan 2010
Do you like implausible sci-fi scenarios involving asteroids? A lot of big name actors hamming it up? A rock soundtrack that just screams 90's? Liv Tyler? There's nothing remotely intelligent about Armageddon. The whole movie is like one big music video with plenty of the same excessive stylistic shots. This is Michael Bay doing what he does best..big, loud, and stupid.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
Occasionally amusing, but mostly retarded. There are at least four scenes involving something being fixed at the last possible second. Very irritating. Still, if you're going to watch a huge-budget Hollywood disaster movie, this is probably the one to go with.
Rated 03 Mar 2007
Uh, this movie is a hilarious comedy, come on.
Rated 09 Feb 2007
I love drumnd's review.
OMG! A giant meteor is going to destroy the earth and only Harrison Ford and Aerosmith can save the world. Oh wait, that was the Robot Chicken parody. It was better than this stinker. Why? Steve Buscemi, why?
Rated 21 Dec 2006
Oh good lord. One of the largest turd sandwiches ever made, this pile of balls made Bruckhiemer yet another zintillion dollars and gave the world Ben Affleck. So why not a lower score? Because it is the funniest unintentional comedies ever made, Where. Every. Single. Thing. Is. Given. Such. Dramatic. Delays. you are sure the Earth would have been destroyed five times over before they even took off. And how many times can you say you have cheered on the Giant Metorite of Dooom, just so the destru
Rated 11 Jan 2010
Guilty pleasure. I enjoy its everyman theme and silly pretensions. Entertaining schlock, with script-doctored characters who jump off the frame.
Rated 09 Jul 2007
It's very loud.
Rated 09 Mar 2007
Die Hard on the moon.
Why would someone mount a machine gun on a space buggy? I am still awaiting an explanation Mr. Bay.
Rated 13 Feb 2008
I wish a Texas-sized asteroid would land on Ben Affleck.
Rated 28 Nov 2006
That it asks the viewer to earnestly consider the drama of this most haphazard scientific venture is absurd, but more confusing is that it actually takes itself only half-seriously. Each solemn moment of mass death, destruction, and tragedy is followed immediately by antics and quipping. If it leaned completely into comedy it might actually be good, but as stands it's a tolerable and often amusing blockbuster, one half-spent laughing with but otherwise laughing at in mordant disbelief.
Rated 13 Jan 2007
Spectacular special effects, and I still kind of like that Aerosmith song, but this movie is clichéd, cheesy and has huge plot holes.
Rated 28 Apr 2008
If only Willis had screamed "Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker!" right before he sacrifices himself for humanity, it would've been an OK film.
Rated 17 Aug 2009
"Regarding the film's premise, Ben Affleck asked director Michael Bay, "Wouldn't it be easier for NASA to train astronauts how to drill rather than training drillers to be astronauts?" Bay told Affleck to shut up." Nuff said.
Rated 27 Aug 2008
Stupid.
Rated 29 Apr 2017
I'm Juror #8 and I'm about to show you all how wrong you are about Armageddon:
Rated 10 Jan 2010
No shit it's stupid, it's Michael Bay. At the same time it's kind of a glorious stupidity, like defecating out of a moving car.
Rated 30 Jun 2020
All the reviews shitting on faulty space logic and the numerous plot holes are clearly forgetting that Dudes Rock. Steve Buscemi firing a machine gun in space? Dudes rock. Ben Affleck being depressed about his girlfriend in space? Dudes rock.
The movie where everything goes wrong, logic has no place, and dramatic longshots happen every five minutes. Ho-ly crap this was an abomination.
Rated 22 Jul 2008
Michael Bay's masterpiece (Believe me, that's not saying anything). Plus, did it need to be that long?
It's not that bad, but it tries so hard to be so much that everything comes off silly and ham fisted. The romance plot is predictable and forced, the disaster premise is nonsensical and every character is a bizarre stereotype.
Rated 17 Aug 2013
Effective public health warning about the dangers of space dementia. Also, a father learns to accept his daughter's independence and the inevitability of his own mortality. Aside from that, a fantasy about some regular joes who hitch a ride into space and save the world. Loud and frenetic, but a likeable cast and occasional humour go some way to distracting attention from the formulaic narrative. Not a good film, but not really much worse than numerous other more highly-regarded blockbusters.
Rated 06 Nov 2010
Fuck yeah America! Fuck yeah America is the only nation capable of stopping Armageddon! Fuck yeah Russia is so shit their space station is like a floating turd! Fuck yeah Ben Affleck is a great actor! Fuck yeah lets ignore all scientific laws! Fuck yeah, all it takes to train astronauts is a goddamn montage! I could continue...
Rated 13 Jan 2007
Michael bay eats his own boogers
Rated 22 May 2007
I WANNA GO TO SPACECAMP
Not a masterpiece, but still fun.
Rated 10 Feb 2012
I've never finished it. I love WIllis, but the line, "We need the best deep sea drill team," has become a running gag in my household for absurd solutions.
Overblown piece of shit with lame effects and a stupid, one dimensional story. Bruce Willis and Liv Tyler are both particularly bad.
Rated 17 Apr 2009
(after repeat viewings) Michael Bay movies need to be discussed and studied in film school. Am I kidding? I don’t know, am I?
Rated 21 Sep 2010
A piece of shit. Some of it can be enjoyed if you completey shut off your brain (it's easier to train oil workers to be astronauts than astronauts to be oil workers?!) but some parts are just so ridiculously stupid its hard to get past.
Rated 27 Oct 2011
I gave this movie about 30 extra points just for Bruce Willis hitting golf balls at a Green Peace boat off an oil rig.
Rated 14 Jun 2010
Cancer.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Dumb, dumb, dumb. This movie sucked. Plot was preposterous and acting was hammy. I gave it some points for F/X, which were ok.
Rated 21 Jul 2009
No. No no no. This movie is like a virus in my brain, and it HURTS. It hurts my brain when shuttles explode, in space, for no reason. It hurts when Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler spew their "acting" all over the screen. And it's just excruciating when I try to watch a high-suspense scene about an astronaut who FALLS DOWN A WELL. IN SPACE. It's not fun, it's not exciting, it's not even watchable. Ten points for Bruce Willis, who technically appears in this movie, even if no one told him that.
Rated 02 Jul 2008
Michael Bay at his worst. It's Deep Impact with an extra hour of stupid dialog and budget inflating stars.
Rated 26 Dec 2008
This movie is just so loud and abrasive. I'm not just talking about the pointless explosions (which are many), but even the dialogue feels more like each character either shouting smartass (usually lame) quips to no one or emoting in hyperbolic excess rather than an actual conversation.
Rated 19 Mar 2011
When you think it can't get any worse, Steven Tyler sells his soul.
Rated 26 Jan 2017
A master class in pulling heart-strings, if not in Astro-physics .... but hey, who would have thought that getting decimated on an asteroid 200,000 miles from earth could be so much fun? In 1999, there was a US wide shortage of the "right stuff" as a result of this load of ol' nonsense ... but hey, Steve Buscemi is wonderful, and Liv Tyler is hard not to fall in love with. Sure, rip it apart on so many levels if you want, but just be aware if you do that you are the wrong audience for it anyway!
Was I supposed to care about anyone in this film? I'll file this under "one and done," because there's absolutely no need to go back if you make it through this too-long disaster movie once.
Rated 02 Mar 2007
A bunch of oil riggers make fun of Greenpeace and are then contracted to save the world by nuking an asteroid. This is one of the the most neoconservative piece of media I've ever seen.
Rated 23 Jan 2009
As my friend MoleDMC would say: "Grab yourself another sugar sandwich..."
Rated 11 Jul 2007
Bruce Willis takes Steve Buscemi to an asteroid. Buscemi freaks out and starts shooting rocks and people. Good fun for the whole family.
Rated 25 Jul 2009
Just as its name suggests, Armageddon is the daddy of all disaster movies. The script is a disaster, the directing is a disaster, in fact it's a disaster from start to finish.
Rated 21 Jan 2010
I liked Steve Buscemi's character. And nothing else. Oh yeah, meteors don't work that way.
Rated 09 May 2010
Salvation would be possible for this film if Willis and Affleck had had a love affair in outer space fucking up all possible family relations. That - and that only - would've given this any kind of edge. Bah.
I hated this movie. Every chance something can go wrong, it does. That shit gets annoying. Also, a lot of people I know like/d this movie, and that fueled my dislike as well.
Rated 19 Sep 2009
'MERICA F-CK YEAH!
Rated 06 Feb 2012
"Mommy, mommy - the salesman is on TV!" "It's not a salesman, it's your father!" I fucking love it!
Rated 04 Jan 2008
If this is the best we can do bring on the Asteroid !
America, fuck yeah.
Did they really have to cram the soundtrack full of Aerosmith songs just because Liv Tyler was starring in it?
In a fully surround THX theater this movie is really cool. If you don't see it in that context however, it sucks.
Rated 16 Aug 2008
A typical Michael Bay fair boosted by Willis and Duncan but brought quickly down to earth by the pure irritation of watching Affleck and Tyler bluff their way through the entire film. Bloody hell they're bad. As for the rest of the film, Bay takes a decent idea and once again runs away with it packing in as many explosions and incomprensible incompitence over the whole space trip as possible. Somebody tell Bay that crappy romantic melodrama and explosions don't mix when you have zero talent.
Rated 08 Oct 2007
In Armageddon everything is bad, but the worst is the interpretation of Bruce Willis, who proves again that he is bad actor. The movie is saved only by the most beautiful special effects.
Rated 07 Jan 2012
Stereotypical 90s movie with a few lines that'll haunt pop culture forever. If you haven't seen it, you should; if only to be relevant.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
Critics hated this end of the world blockbuster from Michael Bay, but I thought it was action-packed fun.
Rated 25 Mar 2007
Some on again off again ok moments don't make up for the fact that this film is an affront to sceince, has some really cheesy moments just to be cheesy, and is incredibly predictable. Fuck Michael Bay. Worst director of all time.
Rated 04 Apr 2015
Armageddon is not an intelligent movie. If you're watching movies, particularly Hollywood blockbusters, for accurate science, you're doing things wrong. They have a plot and they're rolling with it, no matter how cringe worthy the science is. If you understand that you'll get a fun movie with lots of explosions and tension that always relieves itself with only a few seconds left to go. It's not great by any means, but it's one of those movies you consider a guilty pleasure.
Rated 07 Sep 2009
It wouldn't be that bad if it didn't pretend it has a STORY to tell.
Rated 09 Dec 2011
Not a great movie, but not a bad movie either. Had its ups and downs, but overall a fun popcorn movie.
Rated 09 Apr 2009
At least the Aerosmith song was pretty good.
Rated 10 Jun 2009
Rubbish
Love it or Hate it, this movie was THE MOVIE when I was in middle school. It's popcorn fun at its grandest. Granted, it's too long for it's own good, but it has its moments of brilliant cheesiness that elevates it above other movies of its kind.
Rated 06 Mar 2008
ok **
Rated 28 Mar 2010
The Hall and Oates of movies. A lot of pretty things for the senses but a lot of dumb shit and bullshit sentimentality. I apologize to H&O fans for the comparison.
Rated 05 Apr 2012
Very much in vogue at the time, but doesn't stand the test of time. Not good to watch after it left the theater.
Rated 26 May 2012
Great actors easy movie to watch.
Rated 10 Oct 2023
There's an air of nostalgia around this movie (I personally like the Aerosmith song), but it doesn't mask the fact that the movie itself isn't good. In an odd coincidence, Deep Impact, a far superior movie with an almost identical plot, was released the same year. Unlike that movie, Armageddon is painfully over-acted, features some lame special effects, and overall just feels like it cares more about its set pieces and explosions than its characters.
Rated 02 Oct 2007
Maybe one of the worst screenplay I've ever seen !
Pure stupidity, with some good actors who are probably regretting it now.
Rated 07 Dec 2006
america saves the world again.
Rated 19 Aug 2007
predictable & self serving story line... eh?
Rated 26 Apr 2009
DON'T WANNA CLOOOSE MY EEEYES, DON'T WANNA FAAaaAAALL ASLEEP
Rated 17 Dec 2008
Despite it being weird to train drillers to astronauts, instead of the other way around its a good movie.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
Visually great and containing a lot of action, this movie suffers from the fact that you don't connect strongly with most of the characters.
Rated 27 Jun 2008
time waster, good actors, bad acting, shit movie
Rated 29 May 2010
It's a good movie but the ending just ruins it. The usual USA patriotic mixed with over emotional stuff just doesn't work. I would give this 80-90, but 'cause of the ending I put it this way.
Rated 19 Nov 2011
This movie's a little too American for me. An asteroid is going to destroy the earth, and it's up to AMERICA and AMERICA ALONE to save the day. I mean, other countries have space programs. Russia's is pretty good. And I'm sure other countries would be coming together to contribute. Also, what's up with the random shot of Paris getting hit by a piece of meteor? I wonder if the location was just chosen at random...
Rated 29 Dec 2015
Great story, great characters and overall extremely funny and entertaining. It would have been a masterpiece if it wasn't so ridiculously stupid
Rated 03 Dec 2006
Oh Aerosmith, can you do any wrong?
Rated 11 Feb 2009
Eh..it's alright
Rated 05 Jun 2010
I do want to close my eyes. I do want to fall asleep. I don't miss it, babe.
One of my favourite movies when I was in my early teens, this one is still worth going back and watching. The love-story bit is a bit of a pain and gets in the way of the rest of this kick-ass movie, but not very much. Give it a whirl.
Rated 01 Aug 2013
This has all- love, action, sci-fi, comedy, tension, a heartbreaking ending, disaster, romance and suspence from beggning to end. I like it over first Transformer.
Rated 10 Aug 2009
Michael Bay, JJ Abrams, Jonathan Hensleigh, Billy Bob, Bruce Willis, Liv Tyler...SOMEONE MUST BE ACCOUNTABLE!!!
This one was hard to watch.
Rated 23 Oct 2008
Far-fetched (with packing action after action to keep the tension high, and fucking big ego's battling eachother). Pretty entertaining, nothing intelligent.
Rated 27 Apr 2010
-14 points for over dramatic everything. It is a typical hollywood drama and the plot is goofy. Can't take away from that ending though, its a good one.