2005
Steven Spielberg directs an international cast in Munich, a gripping suspense thriller set in the aftermath of the massacre of 11 Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munch Olympics. This dramatic exploration inspired by true events follows a secret Israeli squad assigned to track down and kill the 11 Palestinians suspected to have planned the Munich attack -- and the personal toll this mission of revenge takes on the team and the man who led it. (Universal Pictures)

2005

A decent thriller, with solid performances and some nice visuals. Despite all the controversy, I thought this was overly cautious and lacking subtlety. Spielberg hits you over the head with themes of futility, paranoia, and the omnipresent longing for home. The last hour was also drawn out too long and the story lost direction.
Rated 26 Feb 2007
Laughably fake, brimming with inexcusable factual errata and poor dialog. Case in point; the ragtag, inept, guilt-ridden Mossad agents who rely on a 3rd party informer (IRL they were pros, had no regrets and used no outside help). The film's morals are as lacking as its historic and dramatic integrity: Its message of "violence begets violence" blurs the line between terrorist and terrorist-hunter, leaving one to wonder if Spielberg would rather see killers left to their devices.
Rated 17 Dec 2007
I don't know that this is Spielberg's best "serious" movie, but it's definitely his most subtle; I've never had as big a problem with some of his more manipulative tactics as other viewers might, but this is rewarding in a way that Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan aren't, in that you must actively consider the film's moral ambiguity and ethical considerations, taking sides where Spielberg has planted himself firmly in the middle. All this is buried within a highly effective thriller.
Rated 10 Mar 2007
Contrived dialogue, shallow characters, meanders in ambiguity instead of making a point. Not even James Bond can save this one.
Rated 04 Feb 2009
It's a wonder this came out so soon after War of the Worlds, which seemed to exemplify everything wrong with the typical Spielberg flick. This one has none of those faults. It retains the bleakness of Minority Report and for once opts out of the feel-good cop-out ending. It doesn't take sides -- the film simply seeks to show the moral consequences of vengeance, and how violence begets more violence. This ambiguity might just make Munich Spielberg's best dramatic film. Terrific acting.
Spielberg's lessons in morality are great...if you're 9 years old.
Rated 31 Dec 2007
A decent action thriller that seems to lose its way, admitedly this is deliberate, as the protagonist becomes more unsure of his motivations so does the narative. While a clever plot device it does make the film less engaging than it could be. Some of the attempts at moral relativism are jarring and the blatant use of the WTC in the final scene is mawkish. Nontheless enjoyable and interesting, it just doesn't set the world on fire.
Rated 26 Oct 2011
As well as being staid and lifeless, this relies on ridiculous and unconvincing contrivances, and implausible existential crises. It is as though the filmmaker felt the need to film a "sequel" to SCHINDLER'S LIST (which I've not seen), focusing this time on Tough Jews, but the ultra-conformist within him forced him into torturous dilemmas about pitfalls to avoid in garnering of approval, such that the resulting film is morally incomprehensible, falsely earnest, and artistically desperate.
Rated 07 Dec 2006
an israel propaganda
Rated 17 Jan 2007
I think this is Spielberg's best "serious" movie yet. For the most part, it stays away from the heavily manipulative stuff and leaves more room for moral ambiguity. Eric Bana was terrific, in fact the whole cast was good.
Rated 26 Jan 2007
A gripping, harrowing movie that doesn't sugar coat any of the violence about the whole event it's based on. Nobody shines as a hero in this one, which is what I like. Very balanced film.
Rated 27 Feb 2007
In a word, disturbing. It should be disturbing, as it was probably one of the most, if not darkest times of Olympic history. It was compelling though, but much like watching a train hit a car stalled on the train tracks.. both compelling and painful to watch.
Rated 27 Jul 2009
This was a very intense movie. My date brought me to this movie, I did not know what kind of movie this was.. Not a very nice surprise. We broke up a week later.
Rated 29 May 2007
Possibly one of Spielberg's best; this movie has gorgeous direction and riveting acting.
This is Steven Spielberg's most "unspielbergian" film so far. No sentimentalities, no final carthasis, no heros. MUNICH is even more powerful than SCHINDLER'S LIST because it doesn't have villains and victims and doesn't take sides. It's just people who do what their country demands them to do and what they think they have to do, and losing something invaluable on their way - their very soul.
Something personal was missing from this movie. It's a very well made movie, and for once it truly is unbiased. Very good historically and personally, and yet for some reason I didn't feel as much as the movie meant for me to feel. Can't really put my finger on it. This is still a great accomplishment and possibly the most adult and serious Spielberg movie ever.
A very good film that really loses it's flow during the final half hour. It's a shame to have such a good movie leave you with a bad taste in your mouth due to the last bit of it feeling forced rather than genuine.
Rated 08 Jan 2009
Spielberg gets back in touch with his dark and nasty side, for which I can't applaud him enough: a no-stars tale of organized and well-financed revenge murder. Makes a nice companion piece with _Schindler's List_; the previous movie was about what happens if you don't resist evil enough, and this movie is about what happens if you resist evil perhaps a bit too strongly. Utterly captivating
Rated 02 Nov 2009
It works, and then it doesn't, and then it does, and then it doesn't. More contemplative than most would think of Spielberg but still displaying some conventional structure and writing.
Rated 21 Apr 2008
Dark, dark, dark. Easily Spielberg's best film. The violence is genuinely horrible, and this is one of the best films I've ever seen about secret agents. Yes, it plays fast and loose with the facts, but that's no mortal sin. Bana is fantastic.
Rated 06 Oct 2009
There is a montage of a massacre intercut with Bana porking his missus. Which was a bit odd really.
Rated 18 Jul 2008
Ruined by the last 30 or so minutes.
Rated 27 Feb 2016
As if the work of two directors.
Rated 04 Nov 2008
Horrible. Just horrible.
Rated 06 Dec 2006
flynn sinema
Rated 11 Jan 2007
more like a rough cut than a finished film.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
A film about terrorism that actually has intelligence. That's weird. A Steven Spielberg film with intelligence. That's even weirder!
Rated 12 Feb 2009
One of Spielberg's best films to date.
Rated 07 Mar 2007
Pretty good.
Rated 19 Mar 2007
Cool movie with good performances and solid direction. The only problem is that the last twenty minutes feel very disjointed and there are a few scenes towards the end that are down right bad.
Rated 13 Sep 2013
Munich is another great some-what of a history movie from director Spielberg. The cast works well but I thought Bana was downright excellent. For as long as it was, it never really got boring for me. Good writing and some decent cinema.
Rated 12 Aug 2010
A travel tale about terrorism, a little bit like bad wine, overly sour, over-recommended and intoxicating never-the-less. (A return to form?)
Rated 19 May 2007
One of Spielberg's worst. Unfocused and overly-long.
Rated 28 Jun 2007
A good movie with a few slow moments.
Rated 07 Jul 2007
Powerful.
Rated 17 Sep 2013
Bana very believable and engaging in his moral quandries
Rated 26 Mar 2016
A dark and at times disturbing look into the aftermath of the Munich Olympics disaster. Not Spielberg's best work but still a tense and greatly worked film.
Rated 12 Feb 2009
Good movie with a good story and a gripping plotline. I especially liked the emotional and psychological approach of the main character. A bit long maybe, but I guess that was unavoidable in this movie. We also clearly see Spielberg's touch, he really can make movies.
cs_munich
Nice, well put together, but as always with Steven Spielberg, you feel the breath of the storyteller on the back of your neck, just a little too earnest.
An epic period piece, this one really makes you feel like you are in 1972. Great acting, great suspense, and everything else you'd expect from Mr. Spielberg.
Rated 09 Mar 2010
Great film. Dark, unusually so for a Spielberg film, and with a great cast, a great soundtrack and a great plot. One of the decades better films.
Rated 29 Jul 2009
A masterful and brutally exciting film which delves deep into the dark side of human nature and the endless spiral of violence in our society. Fantastic acting all around, but especially from Eric Bana and Mathieu Amalric. One of Spielberg's absolute best achievements.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Well made and compelling.
Seldom has the "world of intersecting secrecies" of terrorists and counter-terrorists been presented so thoughtfully or well. *Munich* is a violent, suspenseful film, but it is a film well-aware of its moral ambiguities. Its lead character (Eric Bana) begins as a noble avenger and ends as a self-doubting angel of death, uncertain of the value of his mission. Given current debates concerning "the war on terrorism", Spielberg's film is as relevant today as when it was released in 2005.
This could be Spielberg's masterpiece.
Tripe.
Rated 26 Aug 2012
This is Spielberg working at full force and an effective follow-up to Schindler's List (if you choose to view it as such). In each moment, there is a deep understanding of the human being and the action sequences deliver thrills and horrors alike, always demanding the viewer's attention and understanding. The finale is perhaps one of the most morally haunting in all of cinema since "The Bridge on the River Kwai."
Rated 04 Mar 2010
spielberg's best
Rated 08 Dec 2010
The serious moral side of Spielberg's heavy drama doesn't mesh that well with the dynamic secret terrorist agent action aspect. Like eating a huge bowl of dry and stodgy chocolate pudding.
Rated 28 Dec 2010
Excellent work on the technical side, but lacked pacing.
I wanted so much more.
Long, long, long movie.
Not a terrible movie by any means, just way too slow for my liking.
Rated 18 Aug 2012
Despite Kushner's claim to be a "historical materialist socialist", his screenplay offers only the shallowest of analyses of the socio-economic causes of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The best we get is some unresolved moral agonizing about the failure of religion and patriotism to assuage the assassins' guilty consciences.
Rated 24 Feb 2010
A film that blends action, story telling, and realism. The violence is sparse but brutal and rewarding.
Rated 16 Nov 2017
Number of good dialogue, but conspiracy stuff towards end of the film spoils it. Not balanced but way more balanced than you would expect from Hollywood.
Gripping, morally ambiguous Spielberg flick is a marvel from him, especially so late in his career. He still hasn't dealt with his daddy issues, and he'll never be good at endings, but mostly, this is a serious, multi-faceted film about the price of vengeance.
I'd argue Spielberg at his best, but not in the heart-warming ET/ Schindler's List way.
It's impossible to talk about this murky exploration of terrorism and revenge without looking back on Spielberg's recent work. In that respect, Munich represents a rejuvenating success, which feels like nothing the director has done before (although there are the occasional groan-inducing repetitions - i.e. the innocent children are everywhere!). As well, the grayness of the proceedings (reinforced by the lyrical writing by Tony Kushner) paints the film another layer.
null
Rated 11 Sep 2010
People without notable character traits, kill people without notable character traits, which ends up being God awfully boring, no matter what religion you subscribe to. Spielberg uses every trick from in his intimidating arsenal, and for that it's worth a watch, but sadly the story is just too inaccessible (much like Williams score). And as for the "complex" conflict between Israelis and Palestinians, here's a quick thought: Why don't both of youse stop being douche bags?
Rated 23 Apr 2009
Interesting, bloody, emotional, but a little too slow for me at times.
Rated 30 Dec 2008
WHat SHOULD been a fascinating thriller is made mindnumbingly boring by "El Speilbergo". And for whatever god you hold holy, do NOT watch this on TV. Nice to see Eric BAna's Aussie accent creep back in from time to time.
The scene with the little girl and the phone bomb nearly gave me a heart attack. Otherwise, a good yet somewhat boring film.
Munich paints a bleak picture where there is no winning in the game of anti-terrorism, as killing terrorists only seems to produce more of them, and the voice advocating peace becomes an ever distant sound drowned out by the escalating screams of hatred and cries for more bloodshed, all in the ironic name of justice and morality.
Rated 21 Aug 2007
A good mix between a psychological, moral and action movie. With some great shots, direction and editing. Too bad that some of the dialogs were too contrived and too bombastic.
Rated 24 Aug 2007
Depressing as hell. I've never felt so trapped by a movie. Eric Bana deserves more recognition for what he did in this role.
Rated 03 Jul 2012
While you might not enjoy the time you spend with it, it's easy to appreciate Munich. Based on true events, it takes facts and forms a narrative around them. This is a somber film, filled with little joy but lots of personalities which all shine through thanks to the actors. No, it's not a lot of fun to sit through, and I don't see myself watching it again anytime soon, but for one viewing, it's a good film and I would recommend giving it a watch.
Rated 20 Apr 2009
awesome awesome movie.
Rated 19 Dec 2008
wasted by some really bizarre scenes
Rated 26 Oct 2007
4- might want to skip this one, not that hot
Rated 27 Oct 2007
The movie that turned Jews into ass-kicking, bad-ass motherfuckers. Easily among the best work Spielberg's ever done.
Rated 12 Nov 2007
Exciting and gut-wrenching, powerful and riveting, Spielberg's interpreation ios nothing short of captivvating
Rated 08 Jan 2024
Seeing it (again) after the latest developments, it strikes a bit more than how it did initially. Also, this is definitely one of Spielberg's best with all his long time collaborators being perfectly in tune with his vision.
Rated 07 Sep 2014
Too hard to watch for not being so well made. I think it accurately depicts the violence that plagues the Middle East. However, that violence is not all that interesting and it's not fun to watch. The camera work takes on a brutally plain texture that is too real.
Rated 13 Oct 2009
Spielberg at the top of his game, mixing suspenseful secret agent elements with the complexity of the Israeli/palestinian conflict and the moral questions of vengeance. A minus is the heavy-handed way Bana's character "emotional" ties with whats happens plays out.
Rated 19 Apr 2009
It's just not a very good film. It got so much press too just because of the subject matter. Waste of time, and littered with subtle propaganda.
Rated 18 Jan 2008
Touching.
Rated 26 Jan 2008
Incredible and difficult. Spielberg knows no fear.
Rated 30 Dec 2022
To be honest, all that I remember vividly about this film (which I saw at the cinema) is Avner (Bana) having sexual intercourse with his pregnant wife Dahphna (Zurer). However, it definitely disturbed me in a vague, impressionistic, way as I feel unsettled just thinking about it (and rewatching the trailer).
Rated 08 Oct 2009
At times melodramatic, very political and very violent, "Munich" is one of Spielberg's darker films (alongside "Schindler's List"). I'd watch it if you want to see a decent movie about assassins.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
The scenes with Avner and his family seemed pointless. They could've been cut and killed the pacing/emotions at times. Loved the maturity of the script and characters though.
Rated 16 Dec 2008
Rated 07 Apr 2008
The opposite of engrossing. Nothing really interesting. Terrible atmosphere. -- I expect better from a mature Spielberg flick.
Rated 28 Apr 2008
An OK film, while not particularly interesting.
Rated 12 Jan 2022
Quite a brave effort from Spielberg as while it seems at first it may be a Jewish 'Death Wish', in truth it is a much more even handed look at the tensions between Israel and Palestine following the Munich massacre. The theme of the futility of violence and revenge is deliberately long winded and difficult to swallow at times but that's the whole point. Bana has never been better before or since with most of the supporting cast not far behind.
Rated 23 Jul 2011
Great, involved story. Muddled ending that kind of goes nowhere, but I guess that's "based on real events" for you
Rated 27 Dec 2010
Good explosion effects. Great performances, and some nail-biting action with gritty, realistic detail.
Rated 16 Feb 2009
The historical aspects are cool, but it's overly-long and tries a little too hard.
Rated 15 Jul 2008
excellent, action packed movie about international conspiracies
Rated 29 Jul 2008
Very intense soundtrack, and photography.
Rated 18 Jul 2021
This is the type of Spielberg movie that has nothing wrong with it in particular, but you still end up forgetting watching it after a week. The history is interesting, though inaccurate, and unnecessary scenes of melodrama stretch the running time. Has a few interesting perspectives to offer, but only if you're totally unaware of the history and politics of Israel/Middle East. Some great acting though.
Rated 18 Jul 2011
Steven Spielberg's examination of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the aftermath of the Munich assassinations is politically even-handed and cinematically visceral.
Rated 02 Mar 2018
Promising but ultimately just a regular Action movie.
Rated 13 Nov 2017
BACK-FILLING LOAD OF FILMS NOT SEEN FOR A LONG TIME -> Recall/Scores may be 20-30% off. Not at all offended, grateful actually, if U want 2 drop me a cordial msg if think memory dulled a gem or gave a rosy tint to clunker. IE. Tell me WHY Im wrong & what U think I should score. Love film chat/debate| Sombre. Bana = V believable & engaging in his moral dilemmas. Pic's view/politics (from USA-Jewish-Lefty director) seem quite fair & I dont recall finding any objection to it's approach/message
Rated 22 Sep 2008
Good, but not great.
Rated 12 Oct 2008
Concerning the craftmanship of movie-making this one is solid work, but it's a difficult topic and to handled to carelessly here.
Rated 20 Oct 2008
Just an all out terrific film in my opinion, Spielberg should just stick to making these types of films.