1966
A nurse is put in charge of a actress who can't talk and finds that the actresses persona is melding with hers.

1966

Swathed by some of the most perfect images ever captured on film, you will revel in that which Bergman has created: namely, the cinematic equivalent of a woman who has dug a hole in her soul only to be buried by the weight of her own guilt.
Rated 24 Jul 2011
Treating Persona as the pieces of a puzzle and trying to put them together would only demonstrate ingenuity at guesswork. It's easy to say that the little boy is probably Bergman as a child; and he may also represent the nurse's aborted baby and/or the actress's rejected son. But for this kind of speculation to have any purpose, there must be a structure of meanings in the work by which an interpretation can be validated; I don't think there is one in Persona.
Rated 25 Jun 2020
People's craving and repulsion for transcendence, both arising from an awareness of mortality, and how such conflict is exposed (and concealed) in human interaction and in dreams (movies). Here Bergman's real brilliance lies in how he externalised this inner conflict in people's relationship with another person or their alter ego, with THE SILENCE as his first obvious attempt and which has its full bloom in SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE through a complex intertwinement of personal and sexual conflicts.
huge. bergman does so much with this film... too much, but in the best way.
Rated 06 Aug 2008
A very hard film to get into; but once you do, Bergman regulars Ullmann and Andersson will haunt your dreams. Has so much going on in its ruminations on the complexities and ambiguities on personal identity that multiple viewings have not cracked the code, and never will. The similar 'Mulholland Dr.' does less this already did 30 years earlier. Basically, it's beautiful and cryptic, and a personal favorite.
Rated 09 Jun 2009
Nah.
Rated 01 Aug 2018
My favourite
Rated 27 Aug 2017
Watched in film school and definitely left an impact on me and I'd want to watch again. Something queer, strange and playing with cinema itself.
Rated 31 Dec 2015
Different from many films. Some very great shots throughout.
Rated 19 Jul 2009
I don't think I understand this film, but I did enjoy it. A little too fragmented for my liking, but definitely a classic.
Rated 13 Apr 2012
Beautiful.
Rated 08 Apr 2019
i am gonna be completely honest i did not understand it when i watched it for the first time and had to watch the explanaions on youtube but i loved the storytelling and the "tell,dont show "concept used for flashback in this movie
Rated 13 Dec 2010
Thought-provoking, odd movie. It's great.
Rated 11 May 2009
As much as most Bergman's movies seem stretched and boring (tempo-wise) to me, this one is brilliant enough for me to watch fully and without speeding up.
Rated 02 Nov 2021
An unafraid and raw introspection into the other within ourselves done so in an incredibly surreal tone. Breathtaking performances and strategic cinematography warrant the universal acclaim for Persona. I didn't understand everything and I think I don't need to call this one a masterpiece.
Rated 06 Mar 2021
really really good movie and managed to be disturbing and thought provoking without trying too hard
Rated 08 Oct 2009
Masterpiece, must-have, must-see, must-love, must-see-it-again.
Rated 06 Aug 2007
Powerful in form and content, at once one of Bergman's most berserk experiments and one of his most emotionally focused films. A film to revisit.
Rated 24 Feb 2020
ooh this got me FUCKED up in a very good way. can't say say i understood much tho
Rated 09 Jan 2014
Rated 06 Jul 2021
Powerful. Shocking. Bergman at his most intense. Persona is more an essay than a narrative. An examination of identity and reality. The acting from Ullmann and Andersson is remarkable. The cinematography is gripping. The use of lighting and effects is mesmerizing. Despite its somewhat cerebral subject, Bergman draws you into the human drama of the two women and doesn't let you go. Both one of the best and one of the most important films of all-time. An unforgettable experience.
Rated 11 Jan 2011
Uma parábola sobre os pecados humanos. Bergman mais existencialista do que nunca.
Rated 05 Sep 2012
Very chocking movie. It woths to be patient.
Rated 21 Jul 2014
Uncomfortable and complex is what it is. Unbelievable breadth of thought and all those ideas still somehow intertwine together in this captivatingly shot picture. In a way this movie delves into negating social ethic norms so to raise individual problems and it does it well. It is like scorched earth for after you see it for a moment there is no place to retreat or advance to, as you understand that you've just been struck by a pure soul stirring experience.
Rated 01 Apr 2010
Bergman's masterpiece is less enigmatic today, seemingly emotionally direct and thematically accessible. There is no more moving expression of spiritual anguish in cinema.
Rated 30 Dec 2020
An outstanding work of art exploring notions of authentic identity and the existentialism at the heart of the 20th century search for meaning in a post-Modern world. It makes extensive use of film as a unique medium, with special attention to thematic montage, theatrical staging, and beautifully composed, symbolic close-ups.
Rated 12 Nov 2017
it is a book that needs to be read many times to understand