The Proposal

The Proposal

2009
Romance

Rated 21 Jun 2009
Funny ? Yes. Charming ? Yes. Predictable ? Yes. But did it bother me it was predictable ? No. The Proposal actually is a good movie , and delivers everthing you want in a Romantic Comedy. I'm a fan of Ryan Reynolds , and Sandra Bullock does a good job. But what really makes this movie better then other movies is it's great supporting cast with Betty White and Oscar Nunez (Ramone) who are both funny as hell.
Rated 25 Jun 2009
A pretty decent movie. Bullock and Reynolds have some great chemistry, and the humour is quite funny, yet, it is as predictable as any other romantic comedy to come out in the past..... 60 years or so.
Rated 16 Nov 2022
Sans être rébarbative, cette comédie romantique arrive à nous décrocher quelques sourires. Ryan Reynolds est adorable dans son rôle et Sandra Bullock arrive même à être un peu touchante vers la fin. Que demander de plus ? Puisqu'il n'y a de toute façon, rien de plus.
Rated 10 Jun 2018
Always weak for Sandra as she is perfect for this kind of movies. Its charming, its funny it has Sandra and RR who have great chemistry together and all in all very nice flick for Sunday evening with your better half ;)
Rated 29 Jun 2009
Yuck. Pure formula, top to bottom. It's without a hint of originality at any point in the film. The two leads are fine, but they aren't engaging ever. The plot is about as science-fiction as the new 'Transformers' sequel, and if there was even a dash of winning humor or a single hearty moment - it would've been better. As is, it's mediocre as can be, and worst of all, not funny.
Rated 25 Dec 2009
IT was aii
Rated 08 Jun 2010
I laughed a few times but whatever enjoyment was derived from this was ruined in the last 30 minutes. Some of the most painful stuff you can watch can be found in the third act of this film. The speech at the end is particularly horrible and the 2 leads have no chemistry at all. There is literally no reason why they should've wanted to get together at the end. Steenburgen has the easiest life on the planet as she once again plays "lovable mom."
Rated 17 Aug 2009
Embarrasing scenes, stupid plot tangents and the fact that the entire plot could be mapped out within the first 5 minutes are a drawback. But you know this going in. If you're going to see a romantic comedy you're clearly either into this kind of thing or your date is into this kind of thing and I promise you could do a lot worse. I enjoyed it, even with it's flaws. Bullock and Reynolds do the job and it's surprisingly funny at times.
Rated 27 May 2013
Come on… Reynolds and Bullock are great in this. I personally thought it was pretty funny. Definitely not one of my favorites my any means, but it’s good, harmless fun. Betty White.
Rated 17 May 2020
Completely hinges on how much you like Reynolds and Bullock and the gorgeous house and environs of Alaska (Massachusetts) under a midnight sun. Typical romcom stuff is elevated by both leads signature personalities, playing fully to their "types"...and the electric chemistry between their personas. Reynolds and Bullock have a blast, positively bouncing off the walls around each other. Plus, Betty White?? Not bad, The Proposal, not bad. For me, it was enjoyable if not memorable.
Rated 04 Jan 2010
it explores an interesting idea: the arranged marriage fantasy. the idea that two people put together by force will find things to love about each other and develop a beautiful relationship. This is a twist of that fantasy with a lot of cliche romantic comedy stuff thrown into the mix - much of which really doesn't fit (example: male stripper scene). Also the added complication of his ex is not fully explored and the end seems like it wasn't earned yet. In short - doesn't live up to it's promise
Rated 25 Oct 2023
Delivers its rom, com, and even some dram with aplomb. Reynolds and Bullock have great chemistry (see the improvised proposal story), and so do the two dynamics of boss-assistant and city slicker-small town. Plenty of memorable scenes (see the dog snatching, outrageous naked collision, fake heart attack) to go with an effective character arc (see Margaret's speech at the wedding) and poignant romantic end (see Andrew's reply to "I think it would just be easier to forget": "It would be easier").
Rated 12 Nov 2009
Average romantic comedy. Everyone in the film does a fine job, which makes up for a sub-par script. I'd watch it again if I wanted to waste time and not do anything constructive.
Rated 08 May 2023
Rated 26 Mar 2011
Rated 04 Apr 2010
Hilarious. I love the cast. "Balls? That's what came from your heart?"
Rated 14 May 2013
The story is dumb and forced, but at least there is Sandra Bullock and a cute dog in it.
Rated 21 May 2021
Yet another paint-by-numbers rom-com, but watching a naked Reynolds and Bullock run into each other is funny. For once it seems Bullock's schtick actually works in serving the plot (normally I can't stand her). Oh, and the irony of Reynolds actually being Canadian is not lost on me. How good would it be if your mum was Mary Steenburgen and your grandmother was BettyWhite?!
Rated 28 Nov 2009
Sure, it's predictable, but that's a staple of the genre. It's a nice premise, and Reynolds and Bullock's performances are charming. Plus, it has one of the cutest on-screen puppies I've ever seen.
Rated 09 Aug 2009
Who cares that we have seen this before, as long as the lead characters are likeable and the support cast provides enough laughs.
Rated 05 Feb 2024
Couldn't finish it, its not even funny. And I like cheesy romcoms, Sandra and Ryan.
Rated 28 Jan 2012
Mildly diverting romantic comedy (with a fairly ridiculous premise), well performed (with an amusing supporting role for White in her 'breakout' performance, and unusually likable performances from Reynolds and especially Bullock), but so light and feathery that it tends towards blandness at times. Some extraneous padding in the third act doesn't help when the conclusion is already foregone. Overall, not bad, not especially distinguished just... pleasant.
Rated 23 Aug 2015
Pretty average romcom
Rated 27 Dec 2009
A mildly amusing--though highly predictable--outing for the always-charming Bullock.
Rated 28 Jan 2011
Even with the great cast, I didn't expect to like this as much as I did. Reynolds is charming, and as usual has great comedic timing. Bullock does a great job making you like an unlikeable character. Yes, it's formulaic, but the formula works. I don't mind knowing what's coming as long as I laugh along the way. That said, I could have done without the obligatory "embarrassing white person singing hip-hop" scene; that's one gimmick that got old about a decade ago.
Rated 03 Jan 2010
W koncu komedia romantyczna, ktora nie znudzila mnie po kilkunastu minutach. Dobre kino!
Rated 14 Aug 2018
One of the best of its genre. A great, light romantic comedy.
Rated 29 Sep 2009
Predictable, but still enjoyable. Like most romcoms it's comfort food and nothing more but even if it's not memorable it's at least not regrettable.
Rated 23 May 2012
shrug. It was alright. Not bad, not great. Just an alright flick to watch
Rated 06 Jul 2009
I was dragged to this movie by my girlfriend, and I really was expecting it to be horrible chick flick, but I was pleasantly surprised. Actually a pretty funny movie. A good date movie.
Rated 05 Oct 2010
It's an ok movie. Over-hyped in my opinion. That said it's also a feel good movie. It does tug at your heartstrings. You may not stay a 100% captivated, but you'll be engaged no doubt.
Rated 23 Oct 2012
While predictable and a bit mundane, Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds have a great chemistry in this '09 rom com, and the jokes do actually hit hard sometimes. AN overall surprise for me.
Rated 27 Jul 2010
It's very entertaining and has some hilarious scenes but remains shallow, clichéd, predictable and unoriginal. Still, the vivid dialogues and the good performances ensure you have a good time.
Rated 28 Sep 2009
Inoffensive mom movie.
Rated 28 Sep 2009
Simple and boring.
Rated 07 Jan 2011
Beautiful setting, however story was like every other rom com, it's on the menu every once and a while.
Rated 15 Aug 2022
Can we talk about Betty White??
Rated 31 Jul 2013
Very Funny, Clever,And Amusing.This Is Not The Best Movie, But I Did Like it.
Rated 01 Mar 2016
Great acting, nice script, good filmography, clever storyline, likeable characters. DRAMAFFLOP rating: (see profile for details) Dialogue=5,Rudeness=5,Acting=5,Messages=3,Action=5,Funny=4,Filmography=4,loveable characters=5,orchestration=3,Plot=5. Weighted total = 93.
Rated 27 Sep 2009
Predictable and harmless, but with a couple of genuinely funny moments. Actually better than most rom coms. Even if that's not saying a ton.
Rated 25 Jul 2009
Ryan Reynolds, an admitted man-crush of mine, fails to disappoint yet again, and Sandra Bullock holds her own against him, as well as a hilarious performance from Betty White.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
So, as much as I enjoy Ryan Reynolds, he couldn't save this mess. It's not as funny or cute as anyone involved thought it was and Reynolds had more chemistry with Betty White than Sandra Bullock. The few decent moments are on par with the less horrible scenes from The Family Stone, compared to the really awful shit, they're cinematic gold.
Rated 14 Apr 2024
Rated 24 Jun 2009
A predictable, yet heart-warming and genuinely good film, The Proposal creates some of the best on-screen romantic comedy in years.
Rated 28 Feb 2023
#23#, rw2, candy, story, cast, oldies(2) }*{ #09#, rw3, candy, story, actresses
Rated 28 Jul 2010
do people seriously like betty white
Rated 21 Apr 2011
Not very decent entertaiment. I remember one cute scene, though, not really sure which one.
Rated 27 Sep 2009
highly predictable and over-sentimental, it still has a few chuckles and poignant romance for the ladies.
Rated 09 May 2010
I spent most of the film being embarrassed for the actors (except for Betty White, who steals every scene.)
Rated 21 Oct 2013
Revisited (3+)
Rated 31 May 2013
Insipid wacky-family rom-com that lacks the charm of Dan in Real Life or the laughs of Meet the Parents.
Rated 09 Aug 2018
I enjoy the dynamic that gradually evolves over the course of the movie, and the comedy hits home majority of the time so I'm not left lacking anything but a bit more substance in a few of the side characters.
Rated 12 Nov 2009
Predictable so nothing new there but actually had some genuine laughs.
Rated 19 Aug 2010
Very funny. My friend actually cried when the old lady was dying,and it was just a joke,the best part of the film after the dancing.
Rated 30 Oct 2009
While I did "laugh out loud," and Sandra Bullock in the buff was a nice surprise, this genre really isn't my thing.
Rated 13 Aug 2021
Good fun with some good laughs. Reynolds has some great lines early. I liked that it took a bit of time for them to warm up to each other. Nowhere near enough denouement though.
Rated 02 Oct 2009
I really liked this movie. I knew it would be predictable but it was still very good. I laughed a lot and Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds were really good together. Also, Betty White was hilarious.
Rated 04 Jul 2009
Sandra Bullock is still hot.
Rated 18 Mar 2023
forgot to rate
Rated 02 Dec 2009
It hits a lot of romantic comedy cliches but still manages to remain interesting and funny at times.
Rated 02 Sep 2013
Even Sandra Bullock's apparently limitless charm cannot entirely redeem this god-AWFUL material. That's what Betty White, force of nature, is for.
Rated 25 Nov 2021
Alright rom-com
Rated 27 Jan 2023
The most important thing for a rom-com is to have charming leads with chemistry, and this at least succeeds there. Everything else is blah.
Rated 10 Mar 2022
Hilarious and surprisingly not full of plotholes.
Rated 27 Jan 2010
Sandra Bulock is really a good actress.
Rated 21 Apr 2010
This movie was awkward from beginning to end. Reynolds and Bullock had no chemistry whatsoever. Laughs were far and few between. Only saving grace was Betty White and the setting of her hometown.
Rated 24 Apr 2010
One of the funniest RomCom's I've seen XD
Rated 15 Jan 2023
Replacing the birthday with Christmas would almost make this a so-so Hallmark movie, so the outlandish moments and nudity feel way out of place.
Rated 28 Oct 2009
This is quite possibly one of the most formulaic romantic comedies I've ever seen. Incredibly predictable and just like any other generic Hollywood rom-com you've seen in the last 20 years. It truly is a shame considering how they had a pretty decent cast that they didn't push the boundaries of what we expect in a chick flick whatsoever. You'll get a few chuckles but not much more.
Rated 03 Apr 2011
This by the numbers romantic comedy isn't funny enough to be a comedy or touching enough to be romantic. Ryan Reynolds continues to make his case for least versatile actor ever across.
Rated 13 Jul 2009
Out of all the Ryan Reynolds movies I have seen (not many)this was his least annoying performance. He has ruined the Rob Base and DJ EzRock song for me for the rest of my life, but besides that he acted like a normal human which is a plus. I was saddened that Betty White didn't get a bigger role in this because I was hoping that she would steal the show and make me giggle. Overall it is your normal date movie, with a so-so storyline, and a predictable ending (called by my date).
Rated 23 Jan 2011
Yes, it is predictable, Ryan Reynolds is irritating, but Sandra Bullock is kind of fun -- and kind of hot too.
Rated 26 Jun 2009
The low of the movie was a "Renaldo" dancing around shaking his ass...but other than that it was awesome!
Rated 21 Jan 2020
Was fun back in 2009, but has not aged very well. Ryan Reynolds goes back and forth seeming creepy and completely uninterested in Sandra Bullock. Not a love story for the ages.
Rated 23 Mar 2022
Decently funny, like Ryan Reynolds, and pretty good for rom-com (not my primary preference but fun on occasion ;) )
Rated 19 Jan 2010
This is a paint by the numbers Hollywood romantic-comedy. You could figure out everything just from watching the trailer. The movie is a mindless little fantasy to take your date to so you can get some later that night after you warm her up with some romantic cheese laid on thick. As a movie viewing experience it's tolerable and even a bit funny at times but nothing you'd remember afterwards.
Rated 27 Sep 2009
A movie for any Sandra Bullock fan.
Rated 26 Jun 2009
For a romantic comedy, it wasn't half bad... but very predictable.
Rated 09 Jan 2011
A plot of convenience.
Rated 21 Nov 2010
Ryan Reynolds makes decent Romcoms (granted there is tons of formula here and nothing new). Bullock is in her niche. Nice role reversal, only the second movie I have seen where Malin Ackerman does NOT show us some boob. Betty White is funny, Coach is in it. This is not great or genre shattering, its an amusing sunday afternoon movie. The credits were funny, though the end was EH.
Rated 29 Jun 2017
bad rom com but I willingly watch bad rom coms with some regularity
Rated 02 Feb 2010
I likes a good romance fillum I does. But this isn't one of them. I wanted to like this but couldn't. Tone4.0
Rated 08 Jan 2010
By no means a bad movie. Yes it's cliche and utterly predictable, but there is enough charm and humour here to make this movie a fairly enjoyable experience. The screenplay's nothing special at all, but Bullock and Reynolds have a good chemistry and generally good comic timing, meaning between the two of them they make this worth watching...just about.
Rated 05 Sep 2009
Saw it at the cinema and wasnt the film that stood out for me too see but was out voted and saw it, and it was good film and quite funny, it wasnt great but wasnt rubbish, it was just at the top end of average!
Rated 30 May 2015
Hangover cure
Rated 19 Mar 2024
Tenho um preguiça enorme das comédias românticas contemporâneas, mas gostei dessa, me fez rir genuinamente e o romance não é tão cafona. TV aberta.
Rated 04 Dec 2013
A movie even Betty White couldn't save.
Rated 14 Jun 2009
Undoubtedly, Sandra has had some dud movies in the past few years. If you're a Bullock fan, you've probably been waiting for the same Sandra who starred in "Miss Congeniality" and "While You Were Sleeping" to show up at the theater. Well, she's back in classic form in "The Proposal". Playing opposite her is super-hunk Ryan Reynolds, and surrounding her is a extremely strong supporting cast. There's a lot of tender-loving care that has gone into this project, an
Rated 11 Mar 2013
great rom-com! :)
Rated 02 Feb 2011
I sort of went through something similar to Reynold's character, so it probably bumped up the score a bit. Overall, it was surprisingly good for what it was, and I really like looking at Sandra Bullock. She's a very attractive woman, IMO.
Rated 21 Oct 2010
"Humor and romance are interspersed so predictably it's as if screenwriter Pete Chairelli were working from a rom-com checklist." - Nick Schager
Rated 06 Apr 2010
A far less interesting, much dirtier, more mean spirited version of While you were Sleeping. Who thought that was a good idea?
Rated 24 Dec 2010
Every scene between Bullock and Reynolds only suggests how fine they might be in good circumstances.
Rated 06 Aug 2017
The two very attractive leads aren't enough to save this painfully generic romantic comedy, even if they make it funny at times.
Rated 13 Feb 2012
Surprisingly funny movie considering it's predictable plot-line.
Rated 21 Apr 2023
In my top 5 for romantic comedies.
Rated 11 Jul 2009
Fletcher's contemporary romantic comedy has a premise no more ridiculous than something that might once have featured Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray. The rotelike working-out of the premise appears heedless of the ridiculousness and therefore increasingly ridiculous, heedless in particular of the age difference between Bullock and Reynolds, obvious to the naked eye. The two stars nonetheless display a polished smoothness if something less than a Golden Age luster.
Rated 13 Sep 2023
Unoriginal. Characters are likeable enough.
Rated 08 Nov 2009
Predictable movie, didnt expect much from the movie. the best of the movie Sandra Bullock getting a lap dance from Ramone, only time I felt this movie had anything funny in it.
Rated 27 Feb 2022
The power of good casting.