Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Walk-Hard-The-Dewey-Cox

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

2007
Comedy, Music
America loves Cox! But behind the singer/songwriter's music is the up-and-down-and-up-again story of a musician whose songs would change a nation. On his rock-and-roll spiral, Cox sleeps with 411 women, marries three times, has 22 kids and 14 stepkids, stars in his own '70s TV show, collects friends ranging from Elvis to the Beatles to a chimp, and gets addicted to--and then kicks--every drug known to humankind...but despite it all, Cox grows into a national icon. (Sony Pictures)

"It's still not finished yet. I'm hearing more aboriginal percussionists. And I want an army of didgeridoos. Fifty thousand didgeridoos!"
I told you I can't build your candy house! It will fall apart, the sun will melt the candy, it won't work!
Very funny when it's not trying too hard to match Walk the Line in parody. The songs are great and Reilly deserves a lot of credit for being able to embody the song styles of Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, and Roy Orbison and pull it off completely. Not enough people have seen this.
Heir apparent to Spinal Tap. Musical production goes the extra mile, the songwriting is pin-point accurate to every style from Roy Orbison to Bob Dylan and Reilly is game to match (that's actually him singing!) I totally buy into the canon of Dewey Cox. The rest of the movie is rife with hit-or-miss silliness but the surprisingly moving final scene excuses any lame puns or cheap gags that came before.
Baby Boomer nostalgia had it coming. A nice little fuck you to the generation that deserves it. Apart from that, it's funny as shit. Love the drug scenes especially, and the songs are pretty much amazing. It does go the low road with toilet humor a little often, despite being much smarter than that. Fuck it, 8/10.

Last modified by:mjoc0723mjoc0723 on 14 Oct 2021