1995
Romance
It's not easy being the most popular and glamorous girl at Beverly Hills High. Especially when you're the envy of scheming Betties (female babes), persistent Barney's (unattractive guys), loser loadies (potheads), and teachers who go postal (freak out) when you turn your homework in late! Yet somehow 15-year-old Cher (Silverstone) keeps it all together, even fining time for extracurricular projects like finding a love match for her debate class teacher... (Paramount)

1995
Romance

Rated 18 Mar 2007
A surprisingly funny and insightful teen comedy. It's never vulgar or crass like most of its ilk; instead, it draws humor from colorful (yet accurate) portrayals of a wide range of high-school archetypes. And it's pretty sweet-natured as well.
Rated 04 Dec 2019
There's a freeze frame of Alicia Silverstone on the trailer link below that made me forget about how much she farts during the movie.
Rated 15 Jun 2014
At first glance, it seems like a dumb teen comedy. At second glance, it seems like a fairly nasty satire of teenage girls. But, in fact, it's a movie about how all these people have a lot more depth, a lot more intelligence, and a lot more kindness than their roles in society dictate. It's smart, sweet, and its real humor comes not from the easy jokes but from the implications behind them.
Rated 02 Sep 2008
A teen comedy that is totally self-aware, with an authentic soul and surprising insight towards adolescence. Character types, clothing styles, music choices and well-crafted dialogue represent a cross-section of 90s pop culture. Paul Rudd and Brittany Murphy are highlights here, showcasing natural cool and absolute charm which showed the mainstream that grunge had substance. Though it would spawn a number of imitators over the next decade, none had the heart or development of this trend-setter.
Rated 16 May 2020
This was the 90s: Paul Rudd wearing a flannel shirt, listening to Radiohead and debating the existentialism of Ren & Stimpy.
Rated 19 Jun 2011
I decided to rewatch this because I'm a latent homosexual.
Rated 20 Mar 2007
This is one of the funniest movies of the 90s and surely is an iconic treat for anyone who didn't grow up in this era. Fantastic movie.
Rated 20 Sep 2016
This is a modern twist on some Jane Austen thing I was supposed to read at school (and didn't). And it's quite likeable and funny. Who'd have thought it?
Rated 19 Aug 2020
I actually thought the movie captured my personality and sense of humor really well at times. Paul Rudd being a moody college boy and listening to Radiohead is just the greatest thing is it not? All of the performers are great and have good comedic timing, especially Alicia Silverstone. Aside from using the r-word this was really funny and well done. It's not crude or crass or annoying like a handful of teen comedies today. I enjoyed it.
Spacey comedy about a stupid girl and her vapid friends. Mostly lame.
I was entertained. That is no lie. I found this to be quite funny in parts.
An interesting if overly chipper teen comedy... it's got young Paul Rudd.
Rated 24 May 2012
The years that have passed since this released have provided some much appreciated distance, turning this satirical time capsule into a great dose of nostalgia for anyone who grew up in the 90s. Also, Wallace Shawn.
Rated 20 Jan 2011
The power of playing it straight and honest, no condescension and no low-brow pandering. Well acted, well written... Don't be fooled by the stigma of this "genre", this film is actually something.
Rated 14 Dec 2008
Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Actually fairly entertaining.
Rated 21 Apr 2009
This movie here is a great example of how to make a successful movie translation of a book; keep the important parts, play with the rest. This movie is watchable and enjoyable also by people who are not familiar with Austen's novel Emma, while of course knowing the source material lets one appreciate the interesting reinterpretations in the movie. Oh, it is light and frothy teen pop movie, but I never was one to consider lightness to be a fault, just the opposite.
Rated 07 Dec 2006
This movie started a big trend of terrible teen chick flicks, but this original is actually funny, and kinda good.
Rated 22 Jan 2007
A great movie, sadly a little dated
Rated 08 Jun 2023
In this film Paul Rudd makes a sandwich by putting one (1) piece of deli meat on untoasted bread and then slathering mayonnaise on the meat instead of the bread. Absolute serial killer behavior
It's so silly that this is a movie that actually means something to people, like this movie defined something for them. The only thing this movie says to me is, "When you're rich, beautiful, and popular, if anything goes wrong: Make out with your step-brother." The End.
Much better than it had any right to be.
Rated 27 Feb 2018
This is the only movie I paid money for to see in a theater, and walked out before the movie ended. I watched it again years later, and realized I've seen worse movies. Maybe I was a little harsh to walk out, but this one is not good.
Maybe the best highscool movie of all time. The dialouge is so witty and so funny they ought to teach a class on it. And Alicia Silverstone is so adorable as Cher its hard to imagine how she ended up in such a career standstill. Also you can catch yourself a glimpse a "Before" Brittany Murphy, who is entirely unrecognizable.
Rated 17 Jun 2012
An early forerunner of what would soon become the great teen movie franchise. However, as an exception to most, there's a decent script, characters and acting in this one. Probably exists more as a guilty pleasure for Gen Y's rather than one being revisited by today's generation of teens, but on the other hand it's clever self-awareness is still worth something.
Rated 05 Aug 2011
I have to say, if Jane Austen spent some time in the modern era, I think she'd approve of Clueless. In particular, I think she'd like what Amy Heckerling did with Mr. Elton. Moving Emma from Georgian-Regency England to Beverly Hills might seem like the dumbest idea ever, but the great script and terrific cast (many of whom we barely knew at the time) ends up making this a truly inspired adaptation. My only regret is, I hoped one day to see Toni Collette play Brittany Murphy's mother. :(
Better than average teen pic because it knows its genre and has fun with it and tells a good story.
Rated 04 Aug 2019
A dreary, vapid presentation of similarly dreary and vapid people becomes an agonising chore to indure, once you realise that Heckerling actually buys in to the lifestyles of these egotistically vain and shallow people, rather than regarding them as the vacuous wastelands they really are. Rudd scores best of the cast, creating a centered character who would have been a far more interesting audience surrogate, but the absurdly heightened and arch dialogue kills all of his colleagues.
Rated 03 Sep 2007
Sure this is one of those 'everyone-saw-it' tween movies of the 90's, and why did everyone love it? I don't know. The movie doesn't strike a chord for me because there's no reality to it, nothing interesting to it, no real comedy or convincing characters. It's all contrived and kind of lifeless. What did happen to Alicia Silverstone though?
Rated 01 Feb 2008
Kind of sweet and endearing. A relic from a time when teen movies didn't always have to pander to the lowest common denominator to draw crowds.
Rated 01 Apr 2008
Tai: Why should I listen to you, anyway? You're a virgin who can't drive. Cher: That was way harsh, Tai.
Rated 25 Dec 2018
Top badass moment? “Need You Around” by the Smoking Popes played over the end credits. I should hate this film. I’m not its demographic and its vacuous characters, pandering to American consumerism whilst highlighting the ideology that money and looks can get you anything, should have me throwing it into the nearest landfill. But somehow it’s fun, has a good soundtrack and Alicia Silverstone’s cute smile. I'm sorry, I feel I’ve let everyone down. No cats, chainsaws or decapitations.
Rated 14 Aug 2008
Understanding why the film is popular and what it contributes to the era, I won't give it an unfair rating. It's ahead of other teen comedies like she's all that....which I've never seen..Alicia Silverstone is obviously a sub par actress. I'm overjoyed and thankful that her career is over..furthermore I'm grateful that her and O'Donnell had the fortuitous opportunity to star together in the worst Batman movie ever made. Neutralizing both the pests, killing two birds with one stone. MUSIC.
Rated 18 Aug 2013
When I First Saw This Movie It Didnt Look Like A 'Maggie Maitlen' Kind Of Movie,But This Was Surprisingly Good.A Clasic Movie.
Rated 02 Dec 2010
Very profoundly shallow. I'd classify it under the hypersensitive idealism genre I just made up.
Rated 29 Apr 2009
Pretty decent. Even though it came to define the "what-ev-eerr" dialogue, it isn't just an ironic take on adolescence at the time. It also manages to be a decent, straight-forward story, and it actually has a heart towards its characters. 1 for Dan Hedaya.
Rated 17 Jan 2016
The sequel to Clue we never deserved.
Rated 04 Sep 2009
Not quite as dumb as it pretends to be. Defines a genre, of which it is still the best movie of its kind. Guess that's not saying much, but this will occassionally rise a smile.
Rated 05 Dec 2009
Reverse teen comedy. Friendships matter. Cher might seem to care about shopping, but commits to make people's lives better - even if it involves doing a makeover on Tai. Smart, square, virgin, knows art (Monet and Botticelli), snubs Radiohead, tries to find a love for Tai, but feels lonely, falls for a gay James Dean-like, eventually falling for her half-bro in such an edgy move. There's even a 2001 reference - phone resembling monolith - and some of the brigthest mise-en-scène in any teen flic
Rated 18 Dec 2009
Clever updating of Austen's "Emma."
Rated 17 Dec 2015
Ska is trash.
Rated 20 Feb 2010
Alicia Silverstone is the first celebrity crush I ever had who didn't have giant tits.
Rated 24 Nov 2019
Not really a critique of materialism because it's too in love with its characters, but it's surprisingly observant. Heckerling understands this valley girl teen milieu well and creates characters that are gentle mockeries with likeable qualities. Silverstone was perfectly cast as Cher, and it's a shame she didn't have a better career because she is funny and charming as a rich superficial ditz who broadens her horizons (somewhat), and Hedaya is hilarious as her belligerent but loving father.
Rated 06 Dec 2012
Modern day Jane Austen (Emma) adaptation. Tardiness speech and highway scenes are very funny. Clearly Heckerling's best. - Do you like Billie Holiday? - I love him.
Rated 08 Apr 2010
Endlessly rewatchable.
Rated 03 Aug 2010
Found it amusing that it was making fun of its own genre.
Rated 01 Dec 2015
The title is apt for all the wrong reasons; this is teen comedy at its most childish and uninspired. The high school stereotypes are a staple for most films of this ilk (especially for this supposed satire), but the story they are placed in is so bland and surface-y that more complex (or at least extreme) characters are needed (only Murphy's Tai is ever really funny). The "satire" here needs to be much more gregarious and biting for it to make up for the lazy story and uninteresting characters.
Rated 22 Dec 2006
Definitely in the top 10 teen films ever, a 90's classic. A true delight to watch.
Rated 30 Nov 2017
Not seeing this until 2017 probably made this even worse for me but changing plots about 3 times throughout the film made it feel disjointed and chaotic. It didn't know which direction to go; instead, just felt like a "look how great we are! you should act like this!" type of almost mockumentary. Mostly found it irritating but with bits of self-realization throughout, notably a Radiohead song mocking teens would play a strategic points. Almost bad, almost ok, somewhere between
Rated 19 May 2007
Wasn't my cup of tea.
Rated 26 May 2007
If you saw this as a teenage when it came out & you don't think it was funny... you're lying.
Rated 30 Jan 2023
A funny and self-aware breezy good time that makes every teen comedy that came out in the decade afterwards look like total shit.
Rated 20 Oct 2017
It's alright, pretty funny at times
Rated 31 Aug 2014
It's satire, it's Emma, it's nostalgia, its whatever. Clueless is probably not all that great, but, as a staple of the 90s, it proves to be fairly entertaining.
A smart, witty teen comedy by Amy Heckerling, loosely lifted from Jane Austen's 'Emma'. Not just another teen comedy.
Love the fact it is based on Jane Austins Emma.
I really loved this movie as a kid. Back when Alicia Silverstone was super hot stuff. Now, it's still a good watch.
I still want to know how this movie got made. Did the screenwriter just pitch "It's Jane Austen's Emma...except with stupid Beverly Hills teenagers!"
Rated 17 Nov 2022
Clueless ran so Mean Girls could walk.
Rated 30 Jul 2012
Superior teen comedy with surprisingly sharp script and acting.
Rated 04 Oct 2012
It's pretty well written, and it has a great soundtrack. I understand it's a satire, but the characters were still annoying. It's hard to rate, really.
I am still so envious of Silverstone's rotating wardrobe-built-in-closet in the move. Dammit. I need that.
Rated 15 Aug 2007
I enjoy classics that have been modernized with "interesting" twists. Oh and Paul Rudd!
Rated 21 Aug 2007
I really wanted to hate this movie. The whole premise goes against everything I stand for. It's now guilty pleasure # 345
Rated 03 May 2024
A well made coming of age movie can feel like the best thing ever. This is a good one, it holds up three decades later. It's also a bit of a snapshot of 90s pop culture.
Rated 10 May 2017
Was underappreciated at the time but seems to be properly appreciated now. The acting is quite stellar all around, although looking at some of their careers now maybe it was just cast really well). The Paul Rudd, Alicia Silverstone will they won't they thing was kind of gross. A college guy going after a girl who is 15/16 and used to be his step-sister. Weird....weird.
Rated 23 Jul 2019
Though its become iconic and is a portrait of '90's culture, it's really not too special and, as far as teen movies go, is pretty average overall. Featuring a strong cast who turn in fine performances, especially Silverstone- who nails every detail of her character perfectly- and some clever, almost self-aware humor at points, it's also hindered by pretty weak supporting characters, a cluttered plot, and a romantic subplot that's pretty weird in hindsight. It's worth a look, but isn't so great.
Rated 23 Sep 2007
A unique movie with almost no point whatsoever. It is not horrible, but it is hard to describe what is actually is.
Rated 15 Oct 2007
Even worse than legally blonde... this movie is stupidly raunchy at times, and really dumb the rest of the time.
Rated 17 Oct 2007
Cute and cheeky but shallow.
Rated 24 Sep 2021
Either way you slice and dice it, 'Clueless' is just a good time. Say, Alicia Silverstone looks a lot younger than I remember, when last I saw this movie in the 90s...
Rated 08 Jan 2017
Revisited (x)
Rated 31 Jan 2014
The only thing related to Jane Austen I've ever found to be funny, entertaining, and endearing. A solid cast and some excellent art direction, great dialogue, it all works out really really well, even with Breckin Meyer.
Rated 25 Aug 2019
as if!
Rated 11 Feb 2008
This movie's one of my guilty pleasures. It's one of those movies you don't have to think about to enjoy.
Rated 18 Feb 2008
Genre classic. Pity the genre's not that funny,.
Rated 20 Feb 2008
Its a funny movie. Its on tv way too much. I do like the scene where they are driving on LA Expressway and the girl has no clue what she's doing and almost causes an accident.
Rated 13 Aug 2021
Premise is pretty strong, very good screenwriting, last act is cut short for it to be an actually good movie
Rated 17 Jan 2014
Classic movie! Fun, funny and charming. Have great memories of watching it with my grandma in the cinema and laughing a lot. Rewatched it lots of times afterward and it just never gets old or boring.
Rated 13 Feb 2012
best movie. ever.
Rated 03 May 2008
One of my favorite teen comedies, and I don't like teen comedies. Consistently clever, more depth than one would suspect, and actual attention to character. Not a classic by any standards, but perfectly charming, and worth a watch.
Rated 09 May 2008
Great 90's teen movie.
Rated 12 Jan 2012
It seems a bit dated now, but it's a fun little movie that doesn't take itself seriously, which is nice. It has several actors that weren't really big at the time but got bigger later, like Brittany Murphy, Paul Rudd and Donald Faison. While watching, I kept thinking that the plot didn't feel 'big' enough, and would better suit a TV show. It turns out, there was a TV show that ran from 1996 until 1999. I can't say it was good, but it was cute and sometimes funny.
Rated 07 Jan 2011
~3
Rated 11 Sep 2008
cute. I liked it as a teenager.
Rated 10 Nov 2008
as much as American teen movies can bug me, this adaptation of Austen's Emma really was fun to watch.
Rated 01 Jun 2024
I was not a fan of the borderline weirdness of their relationship. But I can appreciate camp.
Rated 24 Dec 2013
pretty cute and somewhat funny. typical chick flick :)
Rated 30 Dec 2011
Not bad for a gene i dont like
Rated 15 Dec 2010
haha
Rated 10 Jan 2009
The title sums it up really.
Rated 25 Jan 2009
Alicia Silverstone, I want to marry you! Funny movie.
Rated 03 Feb 2009
Fun teen comedy, with some actual wit to it.
Rated 24 May 2020
Clueless is an entertaining, albeit rather pointless, film. Back in the day, Silverstone was definitely teenage crush material. Shawn, Rudd and Murphy were pretty good, and it was interesting to see a pre-Scrubs Faison. The script is good, never truly crossing the line into cringeworthy, and always remaining light-hearted. Definitely my favourite adaptation of Austen's Emma, contemporary or otherwise.
Rated 17 Feb 2016
Frothy nonsense, but i have to admit it's still probably the best of it's kind for what it is. It's a little better than the John Hughes stuff, and certainly better than the wave of raunchier teen comedies that came a few years later in the wake of American Pie (ugh). Still, it was a few years too early for me to have any nostalgic attachment to this (unlike, um, Can't Hardly Wait) and it sure wears it's '90s affectations on it's sleeve.
Rated 21 Aug 2012
Ugh, GO AWAY.
Rated 05 Jun 2009
The best part of the movie is Cher's wardrobe. Nearly every outfit, with the change of a few accessories, would work in any decade from the 1940s onward.
Rated 18 May 2020
The cops should have been called when the script for this came in which focused on a college Paul Rudd and his 15 year old step-sister falling in love.
Rated 14 Nov 2014
Not a fan of Austen's Emma, don't know why I watched this
Rated 22 Jan 2015
watched: 2015, 2016, 2017
Rated 02 Nov 2011
Brilliant adaptation of the Jane Austen novel Emma.