Amazon VideoApple TVStarz Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVuduYouTube

2016
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Michèle seems indestructible. Head of a successful video game company, she brings the same ruthless attitude to her love life as to business. Being attacked in her home by an unknown assailant changes Michèle's life forever. When she resolutely tracks the man down, they are both drawn into a curious and thrilling game-a game that may, at any moment, spiral out of control. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVStarz Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVuduYouTube

What an absolute train wreck. Verhoeven plays with his characters like a child would with plastic action figures, he just kind of randomly rams them into each other in a rough emulation of grownup intimacy and conflict, without any real sense of how people actually are, or any semblance of humor about the absurdity he creates. Worse than fucking "Robocop".
Verhoeven pays homage to le French cinema in the only way he knows how--with sex, violence, sexual violence, and some violent sex...and then he tosses in some implied girl-on-girl action to make it all feel authentic. Not enough three-breasted Martians, vagina-face brain bugs, or buying that for a dollar for my bottom-feeder tastes, but I can appreciate it and Isabelle Huppert's amazing performance for what they are.
verhoeven butts his pulp tendencies up against the european arthouse, draws heavily from bunuel and renoir, and once again makes a film that pisses on the hypocrisy and perversity of convention. declining most specifically to be a Movie About Rape, ELLE is simply about an extraordinary woman--played by huppert in a near decade-conquering storm of a performance--who drags the film wherever the hell she likes, fuck you and the narratives you attempt to impose upon her (even PV sorta stands aside).
An incredibly captivating story. Isabelle Huppert in her early 60's is intensely attractive in this. The story is very dark, exquisitely twisted, and deeply rooted in the uniquely French sex culture. There are few wasted moments. The uncomfortable scenes were skillfully navigated with subtle expertise. Except for the brutality, I was entirely enchanted with the story and characters. Overall it is highly worthwhile, and I enjoyed it very much, despite it being in French with English subtitles.
Haha, what the hell was that? I didn't even realize this was Verhoeven going into it until his name flashed across the screen during the titles. I became titillated. Then the film starts with a violent rape scene, and my titillation became horror. This film never really lets you breathe, as it switches from erotic to horror to black comedy seamlessly. I think Verhoeven is one of the most misunderstood directors of all-time, and is probably due for a critical reevaluation.

Submitted byecrE.C.R. on 16 Apr 2016