1966
Family/Kids
Short Film
26m
A grumpy hermit hatches a plan to steal Christmas from the Whos of Whoville. (imdb)

1966
Family/Kids
Short Film
26m

Rated 05 Dec 2019
A perfect holiday special.
Boris Karloff's narration is awesome.
I mean...even though it's not a feature length film, it's a Christmas standard. Chuck Jones strikes again.
The best christmas movie ever made.
Rated 24 Sep 2007
The best Christmas special (followed by A Charlie Brown Christmas). Max is a very talented dog indeed. Also Cindy Lou Who speaks very well for a 2-year-old (maybe Whos mature faster than we do). And by the way, what is that weird song they all sing? Never could figure it out. But speaking of songs..."You're a Mean One, Mr Grinch" is as wonderfully raspy as it gets (and would doubtless never be okayed for children by some modern-day Sensitive Souls Committee).
Rated 21 Dec 2013
This is for Christmas what Tim Burton's short Vincent is for Halloween. A horror icon delivering perfect narration. I found this on Vincent's IMDB page: "When Vincent Price was asked what he thought of the short, he said that it was 'the most gratifying thing that ever happened. It was immortality - better than a star on Hollywood Boulevard.'" I don't know that that's how Karloff felt about the Grinch, but it's immortalized him anyways. Not that he needed it.
Rated 15 Dec 2007
I kind of dislike Christmas myself -- at least the whole present-giving part of it. It's like we've decided that once a year we should all get together and basically say "neener neener, look how rich we are" to the less fortunate. Of course, every Christmas cartoon, this one included, is about how the presents aren't the most important part, but is that how kids truly feel about it? Anyway, I participate in it myself so I'm not gonna get high and mighty about it. This cartoon is very charming.
Rated 21 Feb 2008
Its a holiday classic. Fun fact... MTV's Real World stole some of its ideas from this original reality show which took place in Whovile, Utah.
Rated 23 Jul 2008
What can I say, it's a classic. Great animation and storytelling! A perfect holiday movie!
Rated 13 Dec 2008
Second only to A Charlie Brown Christmas among animated Christmas features. Boris Karloff's voice narration essentially distinguishes this as easily the best animated adaptation of Dr. Suess. Perhaps the Christmas season might still arrive without seeing this masterpiece, but it would be far less festive. Mandatory holiday viewing, in my opinion.
Rated 05 Feb 2018
Boris Karloff could have just recited the book from a rocking chair in front of a pork fat rendering plant and it still would have been awesome. And bacon-y, too. But I'll settle with the always top-notch Chuck Jones animation, which comes in a close second to bacon. Unless you're watching it while eating bacon. On Christmas. That was previously stolen, but then returned. By a guy with Boris Karloff's voice.
Rated 18 Oct 2010
The noisiest neighbors in all of the land the Whos forced the Grinch to come up with a plan. Stealing candies from babies, and ice cubes from trays not one single present did the Grinch let go stray. But instead of whimpers, all the Grinch heard was glee and watched as his heart grew bigger (times 3). He returned all the gifts and joined in on the feast, for all the Grinch really wanted was a slice of roast-beast
Rated 29 Apr 2011
A classic special that showcases the talents of Chuck Jones like almost nothing else.
Rated 13 Jul 2012
In the middle of a frantic Christmas season, there is no better respite from the buy-me commercialism of the holidays than this short, but poignant story by Dr. Seuss.
Rated 27 Mar 2007
An iconic and important animation that will be a classic for generations to come.
Will make your heart grow three sizes (too cliché?).
Rated 18 Oct 2007
There aren't too many perfect Xmas shows. This is one.
Rated 23 Jan 2022
i don't give a single shit about christmas but this is a good film. i love the grinch before he becomes an idiot.
Rated 31 Jul 2008
I love dr. Seuss
Rated 18 Dec 2008
He also stole my heart.
Rated 02 Feb 2009
Probably the best of all the animated Christmas specials. Chuck Jones' distinctive pacing and posing lends itself perfectly to Dr. Seuss's art.
Rated 03 Aug 2009
The grinch is just too much of an asshole in this to have such a sudden change of heart, shouldn't his villainous failure be enough, why the need for conversion. Also, if the whole point is that Christmas is about more than presents why is the climax of the film about saving said presents and giving them back to the people.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
Name a better Christmas story
Rated 07 Oct 2009
Add 15 points during Christmastime
Rated 27 Mar 2014
Fuck off, the Jim Carrey one was better.
Rated 07 Jan 2014
WAT IS HE GREEN WITH ENVY? TSSSSS
Rated 15 Dec 2006
The only christmas cartoon you'll ever need.
Rated 08 Jan 2007
...totally wonderful. Far superior to Ron Howard's shitfest.
Rated 17 Jan 2007
I love Chuck Jones' animation style, and with the narration by Boris Karloff, this is a purely enjoyable holiday film. Really good!
Rated 15 Feb 2007
A classic.
Rated 28 Feb 2007
Rated 01 Mar 2007
How can't you like a modern classic like this?
Rated 28 Oct 2017
A true Christmas classic that is required viewing ever Christmas.
Rated 29 Mar 2007
A remarkably fun little movie no matter how old you are
Rated 02 May 2007
Ohh, total classic. I would love it just for the awesomely expressive dog alone, but fortunately there's lots more to like.
Rated 04 May 2007
How could you not enjoy this animated classic? Boris freakin' Karloff narrarates it!
Rated 11 May 2007
Aww, how can you hate on a Christmas classic? I'll give it a perfect score for no other reason than the fact that I watched it approximately 17 billion times every holiday season.
Rated 28 May 2007
Chuck Jones Dr. Suess = awesome. Unlike the horrible live-action film, neither cynical nor crass.
Rated 16 Jun 2007
Timeless.
Rated 25 Nov 2023
Honestly the greatest of Christmas movie/television traditions.
Rated 09 Mar 2017
A-
Rated 14 Jul 2007
It's a classic
Rated 28 Jul 2007
Truly a classic. The live-action remake did not do it justice.
Classic.
It's good... I guess?
Rated 22 Aug 2007
good
Rated 16 Sep 2007
good short
Rated 26 Oct 2007
A perfect childhood classic and memory.
Rated 28 Oct 2007
The pinnacle of holiday cartoons that continues to both hold up well and contain Boris Karloff.
Rated 14 Oct 2023
chuck jones and dr seuss go together to make a classic christmas story better full of charm and witt and fun it really is a joy for everyone
Rated 10 Feb 2008
If you don't love this classic, your heart is 4 sizes too small.
Rated 10 Feb 2008
My favorite piece of Christmas entertainment, narrowly edging out the Peanuts special and "A Christmas Story". Karloff is so great, I can't even conceive of another voice doing it. The story is timeless; the animation is sharp and vibrant. Plus, the songs are great!!
Rated 04 Mar 2008
A classic!
Rated 12 Mar 2008
THIS is the Christmas classic my whole family looks forward to, not that pap "Miracle on 34th St." or "It's a Wonderful Life". Chuck Jones was the animator to end all animators and this is another of his many home-runs. Karloff does a wonderful job as narrator and pulls it all together.
Rated 22 Mar 2008
Oh man, I used to wathc this every time it was on. Oh, to be 25 again....
Rated 22 Jan 2023
i love love love the animation and the extra-book creative flair—all are extremely successful in embodying the seussian spirit of the original art & tie in perfectly with dr seuss's story. i love the grinch.
Rated 24 Dec 2016
Rated 24 May 2008
A true christmas classic!
Rated 29 May 2008
good
Rated 04 Jun 2008
Parents are depriving their children if they don't allow them to see this movie.
Rated 21 Jun 2008
Brilliant, quirky, funny and heartwarming no matter how many times you've seen it. Also I had a math teacher in high school who looked exactly like the Grinch, before his heart grew.
Rated 28 Jun 2008
Rated 14 Aug 2008
One of my all time favorite animations that rests purely on sentimental opinion. Everyone's got a lil grinch in em.
Rated 25 Aug 2008
Good classic of christmas. Classic is classic.
Rated 03 Sep 2008
A near PERFECT movie.
Rated 15 Oct 2008
This is a classic Christmas film for all.
Rated 05 Nov 2008
DR. SEUSSSSSSSS.
Rated 19 Nov 2008
One of the best movies of all time!
Rated 15 Dec 2021
☆ Obviously I love the scene where he slithers around the tree. Best moment for sure. ☆
Rated 14 Dec 2008
Don't bother with the remake.
Rated 23 Dec 2008
Jack Skellington is still my favorite christmas ruiner !!!
Rated 23 Dec 2008
Rated 10 Feb 2009
a classic
Rated 13 Dec 2020
Dr. Seuss' perfect masterpiece for children
Rated 04 Mar 2009
I thought I rated this already - but it makes me want who-hash!
Rated 08 Apr 2009
great short. defines what adaption should mean. Karloff does a great job with the voices and the song is a classic.
Rated 16 Apr 2009
Best Classic ever! If you don't like it then you were never a child.
Rated 01 May 2009
well, chuck jones you know
Rated 08 Jun 2009
a classic
Rated 09 Jul 2009
I have watched this with my family ever sense I was a kid. I am now 16 and I still enjoy watching this holiday classic.
Rated 20 Jun 2020
Seen: 2.
Rated 18 Aug 2009
Classic movie that really helps show how a mean person can change.
Rated 20 Oct 2009
classic
Rated 02 Jan 2010
Must-see Christmas film. Both kids and adults will love it. There's just something charming about this film starring a mean and green thing who wants to destroy Christmas.
Rated 18 Mar 2010
If anyone were going to dress up in a green fuzzy suit and act like a cartoon character, it'd be Jim Carrey.. ...Oh, wait. Wrong movie. ..Well, I stand by it.
Rated 17 Sep 2010
It wasn't popular in my country when I was growing up, actually it is the first time now that I see it. So there are no nostalgia strings attached. Nice to hear Karloff's voice, but animation is nothing special and the story is not very impressive (especially when you see it as an adult).
Rated 10 Oct 2010
One of a handful of Christmas movies that I actually like. Animation, script, narration & songs are all top-notch. If the Grinch didn't return the loot in the end (but otherwise keeping the happy ending, thus proving the makers really believe in their supposed "all you need is love" message), it would have been a 90. But of course, in that case it would never have left the cutting room.
Rated 23 Oct 2010
This is... a perfect story. I can't think of a single thing to add or take away.
Rated 17 Jan 2011
Christmas classic
Rated 25 Feb 2011
It manages to avoid most of the things that make Christmas movies such vomit-inducing affairs so often, with a deliciously slimy villain and his path to redemption. The animation is great and the musical bits are classic. It's Seuss at his best.
Rated 29 Nov 2018
Narrator: "Every Who down in Whoville liked Christmas a lot, but the Grinch, who lived just north of Whoville - did not. The Grinch hated Christmas - the whole Christmas season. Now, please don't ask why; no one quite knows the reason. It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight. Or it could be that his head wasn't screwed on just right. But I think that the most likely reason of all... may have been that his heart was two sizes too small."
Rated 22 Nov 2011
One of the best Christmas movies ever made.
Rated 30 Nov 2011
Rated 02 Dec 2011
It's nice that the Whos taught the Grinch not to be such an asshole to his dog.
Rated 12 Dec 2011
classic fun
Rated 16 Dec 2011
Christmas classic
Rated 27 Dec 2011
Seuss is very clever. The Whos are so charming. Still worth watching.
Rated 14 Sep 2018
Pitch perfect and wonderfully animated. This Christmas story is the best among a slew of classic television stories that we all watch every year. The music is catchy and the narration is great. The subtlety behind Boris Karloff's performing works wonders for the Grinch.
Rated 14 Jul 2012
The best version of this classic tale. Just long enough and doesn't over stay it's welcome.
Rated 23 Dec 2012
My wife told me I look like the Grinch whilst watching this! Make of that what you will?